Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lenb
    replied
    This is great timing Tom. Mine has finally arrived here on the Eastern Seaboard and will be assembled over the winter as well. Thanks for taking the time to post updates.

len

Leave a comment:

• tewatson
    replied
    Landing gear setup is next. The retract linkage is straightforward, although the actuating arm is blank (no holes) which requires one to determine the appropriate linkage point, then drill and tap. No huge deal; in fact this is an advantage as you have options.

The wheel brake is standard paddle style and designed for an unusual (to me) actuating setup. Modified an aluminum servo horn, and used spectra line for the connection. Time will tell on durability.

Note for FES-equipped planes: the gear has two "down" positions, one normal, and one hyper-extended for FES takeoffs. It's a clever design as there are no additional moving parts. The procedure to extend to the second position is simple and can be done with either a three-position gear switch (to stop it at the halfway-extended point), or manually with everything powered off. Basically, you grab the wheel at the halfway point and pull it forward while extending the rest of the way. It will retract normally, and when extended for landing will revert to the normal position.

During the retract setup, noticed the gear would almost always hyperextend itself with normal (or close to normal) servo speeds. Don't know why...maybe something to do with the spring tension and a bit of "bounce" when cycling. I don't like slamming the gear up and down, so I always set a slower speed. Interesting behavior though.
    Last edited by tewatson; 02-05-2021, 07:24 PM. Reason: Updated text.

Leave a comment:

• tewatson
    replied
    On a related note, I still hate those OEM phillips head sheet metal screws for servo frames. Continuing to use my retrofit process for 3mm machine screws:

https://forum.scalesoaring.com/forum...ounting-screws

Leave a comment:

• tewatson
    replied
    The stab is first up. It uses two servos, and IDS linkages with CNC-cut carbon surface horns and links. One nice feature of this airframe is the drag spar slots and internal surface horn locations are already opened up, drastically reducing the amount of dangerous Dremel root canal surgery. The servo bays are sized with very tight clearances - making it impossible to slip the assembled frame and servo in as a unit, complicating the install a bit.

First step was to open the servo bays, and cut the wipers/lower skin for horn clearance, then secure the horns while ensuring the IDS arm is exactly perpendicular to the hinge line. The horns were also positioned so the hinge pin is removable (it just slips under the wiper on the inside). Very important for serviceability.

Since the frame had to be inserted in the bay first, then the servo, it was essentially impossible to glue things using the "normal" process without creating a huge mess and most likely getting epoxy where it's not wanted. There was also no room to add glue around the frame perimeter with the servo and linkage in place. So, drilled three small holes in the frame flanges, then slipped the frame into position, installed the servo, and connected the linkage for proper positioning. Once everything was aligned, put a single drop of thick CA into each frame hole, waited for it to cure and removed the servo. This opened up access to permanently secure the frame with epoxy where required.

The elevator linkage is very precise and completely slop-free.
    Last edited by tewatson; 12-15-2020, 06:57 PM. Reason: Updated text

Leave a comment:

• tewatson
    replied
    After the loss of my LET JS-1 about a year ago, and my beloved FW Model ASW-17 this past July, started looking at options to get back on the GPS course in early 2021. Was lucky enough to find a Choco ASW-17s on the ground here in California, completely untouched. Even better, it was complete with FES system, servos, and IDS sets for the wing/stab. Finally started the build earlier this month, with the goal of being ready by Spring 2021.

I thought of skipping the build log thing, but since more of these will no doubt start appearing, figured it might benefit someone. This will differ somewhat from my previous build documentaries, in that it will be real-time, with likely long-ish periods between updates. Did the last two pretty much after most of the work was done. So...onward.

Leave a comment:

• RickS
    replied
    Originally posted by pete914 View Post
    Very cool! Chocofly's stuff looks top-notch. Is Rick Shelby still sold out of the GPS units?
    I have everything in stock.

Leave a comment:

• pete914
    replied
    Very cool! Chocofly's stuff looks top-notch. Is Rick Shelby still sold out of the GPS units?

Leave a comment:

• Scalesoaring
    replied
    Last week at Montague I had my first flights with the 17s - all I can say is awesome! This is my first really high-performance large (7.0m) racing sailplane so it is a new piloting experience, however, it was quite easy to fly. I had the benefit of Rick Shelby helping me with the setup - he has a lot of experience with the Baudis ASW-22, which has similar size and performance. I still haven't mastered the Jeti DS-24 setups - need more time with that.

It was a great time flying all week with the gang - there's some photos on the USA GPS Triangle FB page.

Looking forward to flying in 2 weeks at Visalia.

Bruce

Leave a comment:

• Scalesoaring
    replied
    And here are some pics...

Leave a comment:

• Scalesoaring
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Balance Stand.jpg
Views:	1598
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	41333 Click image for larger version

Name:	Where the batteries belong - Copy.JPG
Views:	1575
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	41339 Click image for larger version

Name:	Torcman plug-in prop holder - Copy.jpeg
Views:	1617
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	41335 Click image for larger version

Name:	Inevitable - nose weight - Copy.jpg
Views:	1644
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	41336 Click image for larger version

Name:	Figuring it all out - Copy.JPG
Views:	1616
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	41337 Click image for larger version

Name:	It all fits easily - Copy.JPG
Views:	1635
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	41338 Click image for larger version

Name:	Where the batteries belong - Copy.JPG
Views:	1591
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	41340
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Scalesoaring
    replied
    Getting ready for the maiden this week, mounting the radio, GPS and batteries. Being used to building electric gliders that are always electric I proceeded to place the motor batteries in the front for balance. Things worked out swimmingly. Then it occurred to me that I might want to fly without the batteries onboard. A quick call with Rick had me wiping the stupid off my forehead - motor batteries in dual-purpose GPS sailplanes serve dual purposes - power the model for SLS Class, and provide optional ballast for 1:3 Scale Class - the 17 can do both classes. So they are now mounted under the wingrod at the CG.

Leave a comment:

• Scalesoaring
    replied
    Hi Steve,
    I just received my 7m ChocoFly ASW-17s from the builder (Rick Shelby) with all ChocoiMotion servos and IDS servo mounts (except the Rudder). The FES is a Torcman NT530-45. I have a Schambeck belly-mount tow release which fits under the FES System. The horns are all internal to the control surfaces with the Servorahmen carbon frames and rods. Rick said there were some challenges, and he would prefer the Baudis-style IDS components, but they are made to fit their models. In any case the installation is clean and tight. I'm using a Jeti DS-24 with Central Box 400 and dual Jeti Rx batteries, Raven and Snipe. I will look at using the Jeti for Albatross also.
    Bruce DeVisser

Leave a comment:

• Steve P
    replied
    Hi Bruce. Thanks so much.

For me, personally, where I thought this was going was not about the value of IDS as many of us are flying with that configuration, rather the ones pictured above are more typical (same) of what I am flying in my F3J and F5J Aspires and similar planes (servorahamen sourced and such).

Meanwhile, for example, my significantly larger, vastly heavier and way way faster Baudis Antares has significantly more robust and larger aluminum IDS as stock. For me I am convinced as to the value and utility of IDS, rather my interest is the composition and size of the components in use over the long haul or in an extreme situation.

Click image for larger version  Name:	doublelds-15173082480phpwpoqkx (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.7 KB ID:	40341
    Last edited by Steve P; 03-18-2020, 12:44 PM. Reason: Swiped and added a photo of the Baudis IDS

Leave a comment:

• Scalesoaring
    replied
    Originally posted by Stew2 View Post
    Is there any concern in using the IDS hardware that is designed for much lighter air frames on the larger scale ships? The control surfaces on our scale ships are much heavier than the F3x stuff and consequently will be much more prone to flutter since they are further statically unbalanced. Heavier surfaces will put higher loads on the IDS hardware. Is there experience here or in Europe with this IDS hardware being used on large scale ships?
    Hi Stew,

Apologies for delayed reply - I missed the notification. I'm not sure why you think the IDS is designed specifically for lighter airframes. Usage is determined by the servo power, control surface area, servo to surface linkage, and surface loading (main factor is airspeed). Using the 6130 elevator example, the same servo and frame may be used in a lighter, smaller TD model wing, but in the example only half of the elevator is using the same system. The IDS linkage is typically quite robust, often Carbon parts, the tolerances are very tight, the servo frames must be properly bonded to the surfaces, and control horns securely bonded to the control surface. There are many plastic frame IDS systems that would not work as well in the larger airframes.

IDS is being used in many GPS Triangle models, which are 4 meters/7kg up to 7m/20kg. There is a speed task for these events and they regularly get over 100 mph, although on-course speed is about less than half that. I don't know the extent of their usage in purely Scale ships as crossover linkage is typically easier to install and less costly, although some are doing it for scale appearance. Unless you are doing non-scale aerobatics or high-speed flying I think the IDS would work well, but you do need to consider all factors when choosing each servo system

Strangely enough the latest full-scale glider designs are embracing top-hinged wing linkage with obvious bumps - turns out the air on top at the rear of the wing is less affected by protuberances than the bottom. So you would need to use crossover linkage in a model to be scale, like our new AS33 1:2-scale 9m model.

YMMV.
    Bruce DeVisser

Leave a comment:

• Stew2
    commented on 's reply
    Is there any concern in using the IDS hardware that is designed for much lighter air frames on the larger scale ships? The control surfaces on our scale ships are much heavier than the F3x stuff and consequently will be much more prone to flutter since they are further statically unbalanced. Heavier surfaces will put higher loads on the IDS hardware. Is there experience here or in Europe with this IDS hardware being used on large scale ships?
Working...
X