Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone going to the HOTSS event outside San Antonio on the 12th of July?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone going to the HOTSS event outside San Antonio on the 12th of July?

I hope to have my travel box finished for this one.

I'd like to show up if work doesn't get in the way... Going to be crazy hot in the middle of July!

To Google Map the location put in ( Cibolo Sea-Willo Airpark, La Vernia, TX 78121 ). I think this is the closest location.

For those interested: http://www.hotss-rc.org
    Last edited by BryanB; 07-05-2018, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Yep, one needs to be crazy to stand in the middle a field staring into the sky after 10:00 AM at this time of the year.
      Mark

Comment

Awww come on! It doesn't get into the 90's until noon. Box is making progress so I'll be ready if the weather looks good and I get to maiden before then. Heck I may even haul it down there to maiden it as there should be some more experienced folks on hand.
        Attached Files

Comment

I plan on making it down to the HOTTS field for the aerotow. But I don't have a plane ready to fly so it's going to be a meet and greet event for me.

Walt

Comment

Hi Guys, don't let the south Texas sun deter you. We'll try to beat the heat by flying early. The first tow should go up at about 9:30am and, while we will tow as long as someone wants to fly, usually everyone is done by 2pm. Both our 61cc Giant Stik and 110cc Pawnee's will be available to tow.

The field has plenty of shade to rest in between flights. Just bring lots of water.

Comment

If you think about it, it probably won't be that much hotter than Monticello was a couple weeks ago!

Comment

Walt. Don't worry about not having a glider to fly. I've got a 3.5 meter Blanik that you can use. It's an old multi-repaired glider that we provide to introduce newcomers to aerotowing. edfmaniac you are welcome to fly it as well.

Comment

• edfmaniac
                  edfmaniac commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the offer. I'll likely have my hands full with my ASW 22. I'm still trying to get a maiden in before coming down with it, but if not, I'm sure your field and flyers will provide the best possible environment for a first flight. I think I've got all the bugs and programming and and fitment issues sorted now. Just need to get her in the air. I have lots of soaring experience with everything from 2 meter floaters to TD competition planes, but my scale experience is limited to a half dozen or so flights in a 4m ASW 24 years ago. Looking forward to it!

Victor (edf was a reference to elec ducted fans and the handle just stuck with me)
                  Last edited by edfmaniac; 07-05-2018, 09:07 PM.

John, Is it held right at Cibolo Sea-Willo Airpark or is it just east of the airport?

Comment

Bryan's question about the Cibolo Sea-Willo Airpark threw me for a loop. I've never heard of Cibolo Sea-Willo Airpark. Our field is known as Apache Field and is nowhere near Cibolo.

Apparently, however, when you type in our field address (1578 Zuehl Crossing Rd, La Vernia, Tx) into Google maps you get the right location for Apache Field but it is mislabeled Cibolo Sea-Willo Airpark. Ignore the label. The address is correct.

Apache Field is on the south side of Zuehl Crossing Rd. Another way to Google it is to type in Skyart, La Vernia, Tx. That is a small airplane painting company that occupies the southern most hanger on the field.

To get to our parking area, drive into the field as if you are going to Skyart. Pass between the two hangers, stop at the stop sign and turn an immediate left into the parking area between the equipment sheds. Don't go straight ahead from the stop sign or you will end up on the runway.

Comment

Tick tock, tick tock. LOL

Comment

Great meeting everyone today at the HOTSS monthly aerotow. Bryan, Victor and all of my San Antonio friends. Hopefully be can find a central location for a Texas sized aerotow.

Walt

Comment

Yes! That was a fun time. Better lift conditions would have made it perfect but meeting some recent acquaintances and meeting new ones was great.
                        Here's a couple pics. I should have snapped more but was too busy flying!

Comment

Good to meet y'all and to see an old face or two. I look forward to the next one.

If anyone is interested, there is a Baudis Antares in my area that can be had for a good price. The same person who gave me the ASW22 received a bunch of planes from one of his clients and has one left that needs a home. He's trying to sell this last plane to cover expenses for hours spent trying to find homes for the others and has given me the task of finding a buyer. So let me know if you are interested. It's a new kit but will be priced at a discount to attract buyers. More info/pics will be available if there is interest but we are just trying to see if it can be sold without having to ship it.

There was a guy there today with an eastern European accent who is looking to buy, maybe he'd be interested but I don't have a way to contact him.

Comment

Here's the video from Thursday. Lot's of things to work on but she survived the first day with no damage other than a stripped plastic servo horn on the retract when I pulled it up half way on accident during landing, and the ensuing scrapes from the asphalt. Nothing too bad. I'd like more power but seems to be enough to fly from a large paved field so I'll be back to HOTSS soon to do some more testing and tuning. I hear they fly every Wed and Sat??? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DIz...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Working...
                            X