New Texas Area Section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Texas Area Section

Last year, the "Location" section was added to the Forum with the hope that various regional groups would have a place to communicate within their group but yet share what was happening with all of us. It took a while, but we had our first request for space from the Texas area group.

Others are welcome to follow their lead and request their own area...let's make this section grow!!!
    A Site for Soar Eyes

Thanks Jim. I hope we can get more communication going here in Texas. We have a group here in Dallas that meets about once a month. Flying at a sod farm.
    Mark

Comment

Awesome! Thanks Jim but could you just call it "Texas"? I think there are larger groups in San Antonio and D/FW area than "Keep it Weird" city.

Spring (North Houston)

Comment

I'm thinking maybe it should be named "Texas Area"...
        A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

• BryanB
          BryanB commented
          Editing a comment
          Works for me!

Hopefully the Austin situation changes. But even when we had a sanctioned soaring club, it wasn't that big and there was very little interest in scale soaring or aerotowing.

Comment

• ARUP
          ARUP commented
          Editing a comment
          I know THAT feeling being here near Louisville Kentucky!

I would drive down to fly TD their contests when the Austin club flew in Round Rock. It was an easy day trip for me.
        Mark

Comment

Hey y'all ! I live in Lakeway Texas at the Lakeway airpark. I have a friend here who has a 9,000 acre ranch in Bastrop that i'm going to try and make a flying field on. He is in Montana right now on vacation but when he gets back we are going to go out there and find something. Keep your fingers crossed. If I can secure a good flying site I would like to start a club with a monthly aerotow.
          Tom Harper

Comment

• edfmaniac
            edfmaniac commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you sir.

• Peteohms
            Peteohms commented
            Editing a comment
            Tom, there is a potential field at Apache Pass near Rockdale. 3 runways parallel. There are model rocket people and rc people who use this place with the owners permission. I could contact the owner and get permission. I helped set up a S.T.O.L contest there a couple years ago

Originally posted by Tom Harper View Post
          Hey y'all ! I live in Lakeway Texas at the Lakeway airpark. I have a friend here who has a 9,000 acre ranch in Bastrop that i'm going to try and make a flying field on. He is in Montana right now on vacation but when he gets back we are going to go out there and find something. Keep your fingers crossed. If I can secure a good flying site I would like to start a club with a monthly aerotow.
          Tom Harper
          I was thinking of trying to secure a location somewhere in the middle of Dallas, Houston and San Antonio for at least an annual aero tow event. Maybe twice a year in early April and Late October when it’s not summer so if the northerners want to come down they won’t melt. I’ve been browsing google maps for an area around Hearne which is geographically in the middle of the Texas triangle but Bastrop isn’t bad other than being a longer drive for the DFW folks. I also looked around Giddings and La Grange. I know an RC guy near Bastrop with a smaller plot I could talk to as well and see what options he may suggest.
          Bryan

Comment

• edfmaniac
            edfmaniac commented
            Editing a comment
            Tom has a 40% Carbon Cub and I have an electric AMR Trainer 50. I think he has a lot of experience and I have very little towing a glider but lot's of stick time under my belt on all kinds of planes and smaller gliders. Looking forward to this happening and learning towing techniques from the pro's.

• JEBarton
            JEBarton commented
            Editing a comment
            Us San Antonio aerotow'ers would support an aerotow event in the middle of Texas. We have a core group of five that would likely attend as well as one or two others that might. We can supply one or two tow planes. April looks like a good month, but October might conflict with TNT. Another conflict is the Mickey Sullivan Aerotow in Wichita in late September. We don't miss that one. It's the best little aerotow in the region.

• Mark9
            Mark9 commented
            Editing a comment
            Didn't see the comments here until this morning, but JEBarton is correct. Typically, the TNT our big three day TD contest is the second weekend of October. It uses the same sod farm that we can use for aero tow. So, some type of coordination would be required. I would like to attned both if possible. Also, for aero tow we normally have been trying to meet on the fourth Monday of the month. I too was at the Mickey Sullivan last year and had a great time. Planning to try and make it again this year assuming my recovery from surgery goes well.

We have a group here in DFW that meets roughly once a month. One of our group has a tow plane and we now (I hear) have two sites. A sod farm west of Greenville on I30 where we have always been welcomed by the owner. Jim has been there many times. This month on the 25th, at the other, we are to meet at a private full size grass field airport south of Greenville. Dr. Jamieson says it is a first class site and the owner would be very pleased if we use it.
          Mark

Comment

• edfmaniac
            edfmaniac commented
            Editing a comment
            I hope to make it up that way this fall.

I'm in! New member here. I live in Leander. I met Tom at Lakeway. Got to see his hangar. Tom, I'm friends with Rick Mays.

Pete

Comment

• BryanB
            BryanB commented
            Editing a comment
            Pete. Welcome to the forums!

Bryan

• edfmaniac
            edfmaniac commented
            Editing a comment
            Welcome. It's good to hear the group is reaching critical mass. The only thing stopping me from flying the ASW every week for the rest of the year following it's maiden is weather or an incident that we won't mention out of fear of causing bad luck. Once I get a trailer or van, I will be able to haul my tug to the field as well. Let's fly!

Guys, the location still says Austin. I sent Jim a PM to ask to have it changed I agree with the general consensus.
          Mark

Comment

Sorry for the delay, I was attending the Horizon Hobby Aerotow in IL with a bunch of these Texans and time just slipped away ya'll

Great meeting a bunch of you and flying with you.. I changed the heading now, so have at it!!!

Len
            Last edited by lenb; 06-19-2018, 02:58 PM.
            Len Buffinton
            Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• BryanB
              BryanB commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Len!

• Mark9
              Mark9 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you Len. I was not able to attend. My next tow event will be the Mickey Sullivan, if my doctor will approve. I know and have known for some time a few of the guys from Kansas and the guys from San Antonio. I hope I didn't offend. Soaring is the most interesting aspect of RC for me. Always has been when I discovered it as a young man. We will meet some day I'm sure. Lets hope we can get something going here in Texas. Lots of space for it.

If y’all get something going in the Austin area I’m in. I’m currently driving to San Antonio to fly w/ the HOTSS guys. Tom, the TOSS guys and Dennis B said to say Hi. Walt

Comment

You guys should come scout the field at ARCA. I have a membership now so we can fly there if it suits you all. Guest fees are $5 or less and you can fly half a dozen times a year at that price. We need to be careful with full scale aircraft, but the club secretary seemed to understand the concept that we need to fly above the 400 recommended ceiling most of the time.

Comment

• edfmaniac
                edfmaniac commented
                Editing a comment
                It hasn't left the ground yet. My first trip to the field was to get it assembled for the first time and do balance, range checks, etc. It's only a couple of miles from me and I needed help so I went to the field. The plane probably could have flown, but I misread the conditions and a gust of wind blew one of the main panels off the table before I unloaded the entire airplane. Stripped a servo. So still waiting for maiden.

• Peteohms
                Peteohms commented
                Editing a comment
                Checked out ARCA yesterday. Nice field and friendly folks.

Pete

• edfmaniac
                edfmaniac commented
                Editing a comment
                The club seems to be enjoying a growth phase too which is good. They are working on registering a NOTAM for large model aircraft operating between 400-1200ft AGL in the area so we can soar there without having to worry about unexpected reports from the full scale guys or unexpected traffic popping up on radar. I don't think it's a problem for the smaller planes soaring there from time to time, but if we want to think about using it for an aerotow event, or regular large model flying above 400 ft, they would like to get the notice filed and have a final discussion with the officers. At least they are trying. They want us to fly there but want it to be done in a way that has the least impact, especially since the city is planning on completely redesigning the whole lake/park area that the club is located in.

Bummer, I hate it when that happens.
              Mark

Comment

Working...
              X