No announcement yet.

New Texas Area Section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After reading through this thread, it sounds like there is some aerotow activity within a couple of hours drive of Austin. Is that right?

Considering a job change and a move from California.

Mike

Comment

Yes. There's a couple guys in Austin proper but I don't think they aerotow regular unless they travel. The San Antonio group (HOTSS) meets pretty regular just east of San Antonio as well as the north Texas bunch (Dallas/Fort Worth) that meets to the east in the Greenville area. We've got a small group in the Houston area that tries to aerotow as much as we can, again just east of Lake Houston near Dayton. All these groups are within a couple hours of Austin. If you want I can get you on their email lists so you know when they are getting together. Send me a PM or something and I'll get you connected if and when you're interested.

Comment

• yyz
        yyz commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Bryan. Check your PMs.

What Bryan said. I would think there are enough people here in Austin now to do a semi regular event but not much happening. Ready and waiting with tug and gliders!

Comment

I live in Austin Now I have a Top models Miss Tractor with a G62 on it I would be happy to do some towing with you Folks

Comment

Comment

• edfmaniac
            edfmaniac commented
            Editing a comment
            Very good news. I just need to renew my AMA and membership at ARCA and I'll be ready for rides. Are you planning on coming to the aerotow in April?

Yes sir what is the exact ??

Comment

What is the exact date ??

Comment

Originally posted by Pylon105 View Post
              What is the exact date ??
              Info is here. You can get signed up now if you like. Let me know if/when you want to get together to fly at ARCA or another site if you have one in mind.

Join us at the inaugural Apache Pass Aerotow event to be held at the Apache Pass Event Center located just northeast of Austin, TX on April 25-28, 2019 outside of

Comment

If the wind lays down a little for tomorrow, I'm going to be at ARCA flying something. It may be tow plane aerobatics day again, or if I get a burst of building energy, I'll get the ASW-27 ready for it's maiden.

Comment

As soon as I get my PowerBox Competition SRS back I’ll start programming my tx. I hope to be able to get some time on my Antares before the Apache Pass event either here in Austin with Victor at ARCA or in San Antonio. W

Comment

Hi guys! Sorry I have been off the radar but work has been very busy lately. I am currently in Australia working but will be home April 10th and getting ready for the Apache Pass Aerotow. I spoke to Len Buffington the other day and offed to have him stay with me in Lakeway and fly my stuff. He is a great guy and an awesome pilot.
                    Really happy the Aerotow scene is picking up here and look forward to meeting everyone. Take care from down under and see ya in April.

Comment

• edfmaniac
                      edfmaniac commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Music to my ears.

Originally posted by SoarHead View Post
                    As soon as I get my PowerBox Competition SRS back I’ll start programming my tx. I hope to be able to get some time on my Antares before the Apache Pass event either here in Austin with Victor at ARCA or in San Antonio. W
                    I was doing some testing and trimming on the ASW-27 today at ARCA and discovered the construction project that was supposed to make the runway transitions between pavement and grass more seemless absolutely destroyed the grass areas. Hopefully they bring out a roller soon, before spring.

Comment

• Mark9
                      Mark9 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm not too far from having my Ventus ready to maiden and with the WX for the next week looks like no outdoor distractions. Keep me in mind. BTW, flew at the Greenville site Monday, not much lift, but had some stick time on the Ka-8.

• SoarHead
                      SoarHead commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The Antares is RTF. It came in at 28.6 lbs w/o ballast. Now if the wx would just break. W

• edfmaniac
                      edfmaniac commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Cool. I need to get off my bum and order the flap servos and LDS trays I want to use. I didn't like the idea of micro servos and RDS linkages on big flaps. I want them to come down to at least 70-75 degrees.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CFA148EF-07C1-4834-9EBB-FCFD36044DF7.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	35013 Victor, short notice but a great day. The weather finally gave us a chance and the tow pilot and plane were ready to go. I got several flights in with my Antares. Mostly trimming but everything went really well. I'm very pleased with how it handled. No surprises just some really great flying. Sorry I couldn't give you a heads up but it was one of those last min. deals. But I'm ready for Rockdale next month. Hope to see you there. W
                    Last edited by SoarHead; 03-21-2019, 10:39 PM. Reason: Add photo

Comment

• BryanB
                      BryanB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Looks great! Did Gene tow for you?

• edfmaniac
                      edfmaniac commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good to hear. I wouldn't have been up for the trip anyway since I was out flying the ASW-27 at ARCA. It's still a no go as far as the grass strip so you have to keep it on the ashpalt if you like your landing gear intact.

Where did you end up on the CG?

See you soon.

• SoarHead
                      SoarHead commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Bryan and yes Gene was flying the tug. I went to the field with the c/g set at 120mm. It felt good so I spent most of the time working on aile > rud mixing, flap and spoiler > mix and elev trim in the various flt modes. But still need to do some additional fine tuning. W
                  Working...
                  X