Interviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interviews

When the new Scale Soaring site came online in late February/early March, there were well deserved accolades for the persistence and hard work of the administrators for making "our" fix available once again. There were calls also for us to contribute to the new venue by way of articles, photos, reports and interviews of persons involved in aerotowing and scale sailplanes. I thought about the interview part and felt that it might be a good way to help start the documentary aspect of the history as well as the process of the development of our hobby for the future.

I have been into aerotowing and scale sailplanes for a while and I think history is one area in which we are lacking. I spoke with Peter Goldsmith at the recent Southeast Regional Aerotow about our history and how I thought it might be interesting to report on it for our own edification as well as for those who might be more recently involved. Pete's response was enlightening. His take was that "knowing the history can promote identification, appreciation and attachment in much the same way as knowing any history can." We can avoid repeating the past and use the information to hopefully improve our future. As I pondered this over the course of the weekend, I realized there was an opportunity at hand with Len Buffinton who was in attendance at SERA for the second year in a row. Who better to start the conversation?

So, as things began to die down on Sunday, I approached Len with the idea and he finally agreed to sit down with me in a very informal fashion like friends do at the flying field. What followed was amazing on so many levels; not because there is some earth-shattering information or inspiration, rather it is his passion, common sense, approachability and dedication that makes it worthwhile. So here's Len, uncut, unbridled and to the point.

Excellent start.

Comment

When I decided to go to an aerotow a few years ago I reached out to the aerotow community via RCGroups. There where a few guys who had committed themselves to being 'contact' people for newbies like myself. Len was the one who responded and, man, was that ever a lucky day for me! Who needs the lottery when you get 'assigned' to Len! I went to the, at the time, JR Event (it is now the Horizon Hobby Aerotow) and asked around for 'Len Buffinton'. The kind folks there steered me in the right direction. I was introduced to Len and he did everything to get me started. We made sure my sailplane was ready and off we went! I haven't looked back! What a great bunch of people! Like Len said... go to an event, fly and you'll be hooked forever! Thanks everyone and thanks to Len for getting me started! I have never had so much fun!!!!!!

Comment

You're too kind Michael. Anybody would have been lucky to be "assigned" to you. Are you kidding me, the opportunity to fly your unique planes!! Thats a home run.

We'll be doing a whole series of interviews in the upcoming months. Great idea Asher.

LEN
        Len Buffinton
        Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Working...
        X