My high tech paint booth, or dont throw away old ladders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My high tech paint booth, or dont throw away old ladders

My wife has bugged me to throw away this rickety old ladder, I just couldn't and proved it is a valuable shop tool. Yes this is how I paint my wings, yes I get gnats and small bugs if I don't turn the wings over quickly, insects sand out pretty well though. I thought I was going to have to re spray this set since I had some orange peel and bugs but I wet block sanded them at 24 hours cure time with 1000 and then machine 3000 and 5000 and they look great!

Dennis,
    Can you explain a little more about the sanding process. What do you use for "machine 3000 and 5000"?

Love to know.

Thanks and the plane look awesome

Len
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

I use a 3 inch random orbital hand held "buffer" made by "Griots Garage", it comes with a Velcro attachment, and there is an almost infinite amount of sanding pads available, anything under 1500 grit I sand by hand, I usually start machine sanding with 1500, but I was worried about taking off too much paint so jumped to a 3000 pad, and then go to 5000 which is the finest grit I know of, I should say they sell an extra foam pad cushion since the 3 inch pad mounted to the machine has no padding. I finish off with Meguiars #80 Speed Glaze using a Meguiars 3 inch foam polishing pad, I also like 3m Finesse-It 2 Finishing Material, 3m actually owns Meguiars but supposedly they develop their products independently, I don't believe it since I have products from both and though in different packaging they seem the same. All these supplies are available online, I will post some pics of all the items I have talked about and recommend an online store where they can be purchased. The finished wings look like your typical H-Models product to my eyes. If I am able to get the perfect paint color match I think a repair of a glass wing panel (H-Model for instance) could be done and no one would know.
      Last edited by DennisB; 05-02-2016, 02:20 AM.

Comment

excellent info Dennis.
        Thanks
        Len Buffinton
        Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Working...
        X