I hate mieces to pieces!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate mieces to pieces!!

I have been in the process of converting my Giant Scale Sailplanes from a JR12x over to a second DX18 that I bought. I like the voice prompts and available telemetry that the DX18 offers. The JR12x works great and is easy to program. But I hate to look away from a glider, that is a speck in the sky, to try to read/verify which flight mode I'm in.

This has been especially prevalent with my 1/3 scale LET Ventus 2cx, which I bought from Dennis Brandt a few years ago. Dennis kindly transferred his flight program from his JR12x to mine. The set-up has many mixing features, five flight modes and is a very complicated setup. The whole process took my an entire day and part of the next. But I can now switch from one flight mode to the other without having to look at the radio to verify. It would not be a problem if I flew the model everyday and could work those switches in my sleep, but I sometimes go six months in between flights.

Besides the five flight modes that Dennis programmed into the model, he also added flaperon mixing, aileron to rudder mixing, spoiler to flap mixing, elevator to flap mixing as well as spoiler to flap and wheel break mixing. Luckily many of the same values that are displayed in the JR12x screens for servo centering, traveI and reversing could be manually transferred into the DX18 with very few changes. The same goes for all the different mixing options, differential percentages and camber settings for each of the five flight modes. All servo channel assignments matched except for one aileron, there are four, that was originally on AUX3 on the 12x, which changed to AUX5 on the DX18.

I also added telemetry to the Ventus to include onboard battery voltage, altitude and variometer. While I was at it I added voice prompts for altitude and flight timer. I have the vario set to silent until I hit the tow release, which also automatically starts the flight timer. The TM1000 telemetry binds with the JR1221 Rx, but when I tried the Altimeter/vario, I got nothing. At first I thought it may have been a compatibility issue, but when I noticed that I was getting RX voltage telemetry I correctly deduced that it may be a faulty Alti/vario sensor problem. As I was in the process of converting two models over to the DX18 I ordered two TM1000's and two of the Alti/vario sensors. I plugged the second Alti/vario in and it worked fine. The defective one will be returned and a replacement has already arrived!

The next model I decided to convert was the 1/2 scale Hempel KA6cr. I new it would be an easy job after all that went into the Ventus. The KA6 has only two ailerons, no flights modes, no retract, no wheel brake and no flaps. After my experience with changing over the Ventus, I spent about an hours in my easy chair creating a new program in the DX18 and manually transferring all of the servo settings from the JR12x screens into the DX18. I then headed to the garage to bind the DX18 and TM1000 to the the KA6. After I opened the canopy, removed the pilot and pilots seat to get at the RX, I noticed a few bits of wiring sitting on the floor of the cockpit under the seat. My first thought was that I didn't remember doing any wire stripping over the open cockpit of the model, then I noticed that three servo leads had been chewed on or completely through by a mouse!!! Also three of the four satellite receiver leads were completely chewed through.

Because I store my models in the garage I had been very diligent in keeping mice out of the garage and the models with several mouse traps. I caught three of the buggers in the fall and keep the traps bated continuously to prevent more from taking up residence. I have found that traps work better than repellent and have found those electronic sound repellent devices do not work at all!! When I saw a few mouse turds on a shelf near where I store my models I added a couple more traps to that area and caught another....that was about two months ago......unfortunately he had already done the damage. After four winters in the garage this was the first time a mouse actually got into one of the models!!

Luckily, the servo leads he chewed through were a little long to begin with, so all I had to do was cut the damaged end off and crimp on three new servo plugs....that took less than a half hour. I had no way to repair the satellite RX leads and cannibalized three leads from an unopened Spectrum Powersafe RX that I have for another project. HH sells those as replacement parts and I will order them for that future project. Routing the servo leads and replacing the three damaged RX extensions should take less than an hour....then I can finish what I thought would be an easy job......binding the KA6 to the new DX18

Trapper Pete

The 'mieces' really chewed and chewed! I use peanut butter on mouse traps. They love that stuff. Wrap thread loosely around the 'trigger' and into the PB, too. I've had them thar 'mieces' eat the PB off the trigger without setting off trap!

I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain about telemetry set-up in future. I'll try to do it without bugging ya but this stuff comes difficult for me for some reason. I have one of these radios courtesy of Jeremy and his Model Box 2.0 that was purchased last year!

Comment

Originally posted by ARUP View Post
      The 'mieces' really chewed and chewed! I use peanut butter on mouse traps. They love that stuff. Wrap thread loosely around the 'trigger' and into the PB, too. I've had them thar 'mieces' eat the PB off the trigger without setting off trap!

I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain about telemetry set-up in future. I'll try to do it without bugging ya but this stuff comes difficult for me for some reason. I have one of these radios courtesy of Jeremy and his Model Box 2.0 that was purchased last year!
      Thumbs up on using PB on the house traps Michael...that's all I ever use. My garage is detached and the mice get in at the bottom corners of the garage door....there's a little gap there. That's where I put the traps. I also scatter a few more about the garage, especially in the corner where the models are. I usually catch three or four a year that way. The funny thing is I routinely check the models and freshen up the PB on the traps and I saw no evidence of "forced entry" on the KA6. The mouse that got in the KA6 got in through a tiny opening in the sternpost that I previously thought was way too small for a mouse to get in.....wrong

Fire away with the telemetry questions...I'll be glad to help....it's all pretty straight forward.

Pete

PS:Great job on the Charlotte II I look forward to seeing it fly!!

Comment

Yes Sir.
        A couple weeks ago I was preparing for the Cumberland Event by getting the trailer ready. Since I had taken the planes out of the trailer for the winter, it was time to put them back in and so my typical spring cleaning.
        When I opened a drawer to check on supplies, mouse crap and acorn pieces everywhere. Needless to say I was not happy. I had to empty each drawer and sterilize everything that was in them. It took a long time to get all the stuff vacuumed out and wiped down, re-loaded and put back in place.
        I figured with the trailer activity and moving it around my property they would have got the message and moved on..WRONG, The next day there was more crap in one of the drawers.
        Like Pete, I put up two traps in the trailer with Peanut Butter and got one before leaving for Cumberland. ( TIP, put newspaper under the trap. It makes for easy cleanup when you get a bleeder)

When I arrived in Cumberland and opened the door there was foam insulation beads everywhere. Apparently they were in the foam insulated walls and ceiling chewing paths, the trip loosened the pieces so it could snow-globe the interior.
        None have been seen since.

Len Buffinton
        Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Cats.........of the outdoor variety.

Comment

Many people who own camping trailers/mobile homes spread dryer sheets throughout the trailer. The fresh smelling chemicals are not liked by the mice. I put them on the seats, floors in the trunk and engine compartment of cars I keep in storage for the winter and the mice don't touch the cars that they have touched in the past. A few dryer sheets in the fuse and with the wings will definitely help.

Comment

In the interest of Bigger Is Better, here is my new Cat , per Asher's recommendation

Click image for larger version

Name:	index.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	9226
              Len Buffinton
              Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by Asher Carmichael View Post
                Cats.........of the outdoor variety.
                I am trying to figure out how to put a cat door in the side of the Ka6 fuselage

Comment

Originally posted by Stew2 View Post
                  Many people who own camping trailers/mobile homes spread dryer sheets throughout the trailer. The fresh smelling chemicals are not liked by the mice. I put them on the seats, floors in the trunk and engine compartment of cars I keep in storage for the winter and the mice don't touch the cars that they have touched in the past. A few dryer sheets in the fuse and with the wings will definitely help.
                  I just heard about using drier sheets from my Porsche mechanic. I put in a new battery in my car a couple weeks ago and noticed a few acorns near the battery tray in my car. As I am confident about having gotten the mouse that caused the damage to the KA6 wiring...and believe he was the same one who got in my car...... I had not tried it yet. But I may try them next winter as I only seam to get the mice in the garage in the winter.

Comment

UPDATE.....UPDATE......

I repaired the damaged wiring in the KA6, then bound the DX18, to the KA6. The KA6 has a 12ch Spektrum Powersafe RX. I also added a TM1000 telemetry module and an Alti/Vario sensor. The binding required a last minute run to the Hobby Shop to get a y-harness, for the rather complicated binding procedure required when binding a TM1000 to a Powersafe RX. Everything seamed to sink up but I was getting "No Data" on the altitude notifications...even though altitude was being recorded on the vario screen. When setting up telemetry, you go to the telemetry screen and add various sensors. Just before I did the bind however I had just updated to the latest "airware" for the DX18 from Spectrums website. For some reason this update messes with the altitude prompts. The fix is to go to the temerity screen, deselect the vario and altimeter slots.....make them "empty" again, then go to the bottom left of the screen and select "Settings", under "Settings" at the bottom you can select "auto configure". Doing that auto-populates all the telemetry. You still need to select each one, to select if you want voice prompts or to have the prompts active all the time or to have them assigned to a switch. I have mine set so the altitude is on a voice prompt, at 60 second intervals and so that the vario tone only becomes audible after I hit the tow release, as it is rather annoying to listen to during a tow. After using "auto configure" the altitude voice prompts came to life, "auto configure" also adds a few telemetry screens you may not need...like RPM...those can be deleted without effecting the Alti/Vario telemetry.

After getting the RX and telemetry bound, I proceeded to plug in flying surfaces, one at a time to the KA6, to finalize the JR12X>DX18 conversion. The rudder and tow release worked from the get go. No change were needed for control throw, but I did have to reverse the rudder and recenter it. I went to grab the stabs , which are stored in their bags, from the top shelf of my wing storage rack. I had checked after finding mouse droppings in that area but noticed no damage to any of the bags....assuming if a mouse had gotten in he would have chewed a hole through the bag, but when I picked up the right stab bag I heard the sound of something rattling around inside......it was clean uneaten accords...about a dozen of them.....not turds or eaten acorns...just fresh acorns. I surmise that I got the mouse when he was still in storage mode. There was no damage to wires or structure....just a bunch of acorns! After plugging in and cleaning up the stabs, I grabbed the wings, I first tried the tip panels. because there wasn't enough room in the garage to fully assemble the model I just used jumper cables to plug in each panel one at a time to check, servo throw, direction and centering. There were no acorns in the tip panels. Next up were the main wing panels, to check the spoiler action on the new DX18 set up. Because the main wing panels, hang from the ceiling on hooks in their wing bags....unlike the stabs and tip panes which lay flat on shelves ... I was sure it was impossible for a mouse to get to them!...WRONG!!! The first wing I grabbed was fine, but when I retrieved the second panel....I heard that rattling sound again! I was stunned that a mouse could be that acrobatic!!! The mouse crawled into the opening at the wing root that goes through the d-tube all the way to the tip. He apparently started storing them in the tip working his way to to the root as he filled it up. When I stood the wing panel on it's root to shake them out into a bucket, the wing sounded exactly like one of those "rainsticks"!! I took me 10 minutes to shake all the acorns free....well over 100 acorns came out, they weighed about pound...enough to fill a pie pan to over flowing!! Just like the stab they were all fresh and uneaten....so luckily no turds or half eaten acorns...and just like the stab, no damage to structure or electronics either...lucky me!!!

The funny thing is, the mouse seamed to like only the KA6 wings and KA6 fuselage. After the acorn discovery I checked all my other wing bags and fuselages and found nothing. He apparently liked the hollow wings of the built up KA6 and let the molded wings and sheeted foam wings alone. The fuselages of the Blanik and the Ventus have no openings big enough for them to crawl into, so they have been safe. Luckily the Carbon Cub, which would be a prime target for such activity, stays in the trailer in the garage and like the trailer has remained mouse free!! After going over the wings and tail surfaces of the KA6 I decided from now on to store them in the trailer with Carbon Cub......drier sheets will be added to both the inside of the trailer, the inside of the KA6 fuselage, which will not fit into the trailer and to the inside of the Porsche

Pete

Comment

Pete, you sure you don't have a miniature squirrel wondering around?

Jeremy and Ben
                      SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss1 View Post
                        Pete, you sure you don't have a miniature squirrel wondering around?

Jeremy and Ben
                        SCCAAA TT TN
                        Yeah....Axel made him....he's 1/3 scale

Comment

Working...
                        X