One of our members is in the "SPOTLIGHT"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of our members is in the "SPOTLIGHT"

The North Cascades Vintage Aircraft Museum in Washington state recently honored our own vintage scratch building star Michael Kelly in their first official "Member Spotlight"
    The Member Spotlight is a feature article the museum sends out to all their supporters. The article mentions ScaleSoaring.com as well.
    Congratulations and thank you Michael.

Here is the text from the article.

From the NCVAM

"MEMBER SPOTLIGHT"

" Welcome to our very first member spotlight!

This quarter we are featuring Dr. Michael Kelly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0664 (1).jpg
Views:	250
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	8945

Along with his passion for vintage aircraft, he also has a passion for making and flying scale model sailplanes. Michael is a very talented builder and showcases his work on the model sailplane site ScaleSoaring.com. Photos and updates on the progress of his various builds under his handle "ARUP" in the site's forum http://forum.scalesoaring.com/

Currently Michael is working on a 1:3 scale model of a 1923 B3 Charlotte (above) that he is creating from Vincenzo Pedrielli’s book “Asiago 1924, International Gliding Competition in Italy." He say that when it's done, "I double guarantee you will think you are looking at a full scale build".

Some of his other projects include a ¼ scale Franklin Eaglet, a 1926 RRG Prufling in 1:4 scale and a 1932 BS2 'Balestruccio' in 1:6 scale. All of these projects were drawn from a book and scratch built, no kits!

Please visit the site to follow his step-by-step process in creating these amazing scale model sailplanes.

Thanks for being a member Dr. Kelly, and sharing you talents with us! "

Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Congratulations Michael!

Check out the front page of the website...do you recognize that guy in the picture with the vintage sailplane?
    A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

You're a good man Mikey!

Comment

Don't want to hijack this congratulatory thread, so "Way to go, Michael!" I did want to point out that Don Bailey is hosting an aerotow at the Concrete airport (home of the North Cascades museum) this coming July. It is an amazing place to fly and the hangars are always opened for us to wander around in. There are also many beautifully restored vintage cars and rafters hung with many, many RC scale models. It is an awesome spot to spend a weekend.

Will post details of the aerotow once they are finalized.

Dave Smith

Comment

Thanks, guys! I was certainly surprised to be mentioned in the 'Member Spotlight' feature by the North Cascades Vintage Aviation museum! What an honor to be the first! I'm humbled. Thanks very much! If the folks at the museum decide to build a static or flyable replica of Steve Wittman's 'Chief Oshkosh' then I'll donate a bit more money than I have. I really like aircraft from the Golden Age. Their Rearwin that is under going restoration used to be owned by Darrin Banfield. He taught a good buddy of mine how to fly RC!

Comment

Working...
          X