No announcement yet.

New FAA regulations for all of us!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sent a comment to the FAA.......................... Agency: Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
    Document Type: Rulemaking
    Title: Registration and Marking Requirements for Small Unmanned Aircraft,
    Document ID: FAA-2015-7396-0001
    Comment:
    To whom it may concern.
    As a long time member of the AMA and Hobby Shop Owner flying model planes for over 40 years, I'm a little perplexed that the FAA has decided that all flying models over 0.55lbs need to be registered on a government website, including all models owned by AMA members!
    Why do you not use the AMA Portal already in existence for a registering method and they also receive an AMA number but only a basic membership that does not include Insurance or the monthly magazine! This way they would be offered a full AMA membership or stay with the basic sign-up, and the $5 fee would be passed onto the FAA! A basic $5 sign-up would receive an AMA number that would be preceded by letters noting that. I already register my planes and I do not understand why I should do it twice!!
    Sincerely
    Jeremy Hartmann

Jeremy and Ben
    SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

While the AMA continues to address registration legally and through Congress, members are being asked to register with the FAA.  Pilots do not register thei ...

Comment

That's all well and good but until we get an "official" statement from the FAA stating what the AMA posted is in fact what the "rule" will be then the AMA's words are nothing but that.......remember what the FAA did first go round with all the "advise" they got from the AMA.......
        TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

I signed up with the FAA per the AMA's email to members yesterday. I think you are more at risk without the registration than with the registration at this point. I don't think this will change anything for us. This just gives the FAA the ability to make an example of some kid that flys his quadcopter over the football stadium during an NFL game. That kid is going to be screwed. Autopilot and self leveling have enabled people that would otherwise be unable to actually pilot anything the ability to do something stupid before thinking about the consequences. The FAA needs a fall guy, this enables them to throw the book at you if you screw up. I don't think they care about us flying over fields in some rural area. Just my .02
          Last edited by pete914; 01-20-2016, 02:15 PM.

Comment

I folded and reluctantly registered. I'm not happy about it, and will probably vote against every incumbent in our government as well as the AMA for the rest of eternity, but it is what it is now.

Comment

What's your beef with the AMA? Do you believe that haven't been working against this for AMA members since day 1?

Comment

• Steve P
                Steve P commented
                Editing a comment
                Or, that they're the only organization working on behalf of the fly-spec sized interest group known as the RC community?

Here's something to chew on that just came across my desk...

Consumer Drone Shipments to Exceed 90 Million Units, Generate $4.6 Billion in Revenue by 2025

The consumer drone market continues to exhibit dramatic growth, according to ABI Research. The company predicts more than 90 million consumer unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) will ship during 2025, up from 4.9 million in 2014. Consumer drone revenues in 2025 are forecast to reach $4.6 billion.

According to research findings, toy/hobbyist drone shipments accounted for 30 percent of consumer UAV revenue in 2014, while the prosumer segment captured 69 percent ABI Research anticipates that toy/hobbyist UAV revenue will surpass prosumer UAV revenue beginning in 2017, and will account for more than two-thirds of the $4.6 billion consumer drone market in 2025.

Additionally, the report finds that as the complexity of technology in the toy/hobbyist segment continues to increase, consumer UAVs with at least one camera can expect higher shipments than those without any cameras from 2019 onward. These cameras will not be limited to taking pictures and video, but will also be utilized for machine-vision applications, such as motion tracking, obstacle avoidance, and other advanced functionalities.
              Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

This AMA/FAA debacle has me feeling like Ralphie in the Movie 'The Christmas Story' when he 'discovers' the true function of the Little Orphan Annie Club Decoder Ring!

It's too bad we are such a minority as model airplaners and are an extreme minority within a minority as scale sailplane enthusiasts. As a 'vintage wooden scale sailplane scratch builder with all four wisdom teeth AND an extra bone in each foot' I realize what a minority I really am within the RC airplane community! It's too bad public and private property holders are leery about letting folks fly on their property (with understandable reason). It's too bad the AMA has set a precedent that flying on others property is best done as a 'sanctioned' AMA event at (preferably) sanctioned fields so they'll be 'insured' *snicker*. It's too bad I can't have my own friggin' insurance (which I do, believe you me... I'm in health care. I am insured from a professional standpoint and insured from a private standpoint every way but up your butt) just so I can say 'no' to the AMA for my own reasons and still be able to fly at events on public or private property that would otherwise mandate 'AMA insurance'. It's too bad another recreational activity is getting regulated by the feds (this ain't hunting or fishing, guys Nobody ever intentionally sought to take 'the BIG one with his model). It's too bad the FAA is just another gov't agency flexing its muscles. It's too bad more people would rather be safe than FREE!

I'm not registering until the 'rules' are laid out more clearly. Who cares about a stupid $5 refund. If that really turns you on then you don't belong in this or any hobby. Your priorities are wrong or you are too broke! Any of you want to sign this unfinished document I have in my possession? I promise *snicker* to make it 'right' *snicker, snicker, hahaHAHha,mmmph* by you and yours. I have a freakin' bridge to sell ya', too... cheap!

Comment

I'm not one to subscribe to conspiracy theories, and I firmly believe that most people do the right things, but this is one case where I think we all got suckered and there is absolutely nothing we can do about except hold out, quit the hobby, or comply. As Michael points out, we have no recourse, we have no options to fly anywhere that isn't sanctioned now (if we do, it's illegal), and we have no alternate model aviation organization to appeal to or join out of frustration.

Yes, I do think the AMA could have done more to separate us from FPV/drone fliers. And yes, I also think the AMA knew what was coming long before it happened. I recognize that drones are a valid aspect of the hobby and respect the technology, but separate regulations and FAA guidance could have been created with the help of the AMA. Like Steve's article points out, follow the growth in drone sales, then follow the money and potential membership that the AMA could be the beneficiaries of, then tell me there isn't a connection. As they say, if you want the root of most problems, follow the money.

Yes, I do feel betrayed by those who represent us. Do I love my hobby any less? No. Do I now occasionally consider changing hobbies and have a little less passion for my hobby and its new regulations, absolutely yes. I'm just saddened by it all.

Comment

I signed up with FAA before the deadline, not to save myself $5, but to not let FAA have my $5 LOL

BTW.....I'm not sure if this was what you guys were talking about, but our local RC Soaring Club was able to sanction several places to fly through AMA years ago.....including private property and public parks, ...it's not hard to do. Don't let not having a sanctioned flying site discourage you.

Something to think about too is, there are a couple lawsuits out there, that could make the FAA/DOT mandate null and void. Some people say they have traction....but I'm no expert!
                    Last edited by Xroadie; 01-22-2016, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Here's a letter Frank Tiano got from FAA about non US citizens wanting to register to fly at events in the US.....Frank said..."Bottom line; if you have a friend coming to the USA for an event, go to the FAA site and register him at YOUR address, pay the 5 bucks and be done with it! All is good.The FAA site will not accept folks from outside the USA until late February, IF they are on time! So this method is recommended!"

Comment

Working...
                      X