New FAA regulations for all of us!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New FAA regulations for all of us!

I'm surprised no one else started this discussion on Monday when the FAA announced that all UAS had to be registered, that includes our RC Planes!
    They decided not to take advice from the AMA, and starting Monday 21st December you will need to register yourself just as we already do with the AMA and receive a number that must be affixed to all of our craft which weigh more than 250g (0.55lb) and less than 55lbs! If you register within the first month they will refund your $5.00.
    Any one who has been flying before December 21st has until February to register their fleet. The awkward thing is anyone who buy's or receives an RC Model within these guidelines after December 21st must register themselves before they fly
    Great idea to do this 4 days before Christmas. As a retailer I have not been given any guidelines as to how I need to handle this situation with customers at the point of sale, as I do believe this will hamper sales of RC Flying Models and this Hobby as a whole. Here is just one link https://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/faqs/ that glosses over the main points. The reason we got to this point is that the so called Drones that we and others sell can be flown by anyone with absolutely no knowledge of RC Flight but they are still responsible to chart the vehicles course and that has brought out the bad apples as is always the case, who do irresponsible things and suddenly we as a group are in the limelight. To top it all off we are governed to a 400ft ceiling, there better be strong thermals at that altitude!
    If someone is going to perform a stupid or illegal act using such a device, does the FAA really think that individual will register themselves
    This DOES NOT get the SCC Stamp of approval.

What are your thoughts on this gentlemen?
    Just my thought's.

Jeremy and Ben
    SCCAAA TT TN

Well. I'm not happy about it but I'm also not surprised. I completely understand that those whose welfare depends on this technology are particularly miffed. As far as hobby dealers are concerned I see no culpability except, perhaps, that of conscience to let the customer know.

So, since only American citizens can register online at this point, where does that leave our "foreign" aerotow/modeling friends in the States? I see where they may be able to register at some point but what about the interim period? I hope they get this resolved before next flying season.

There is an extensive diatribe regarding all this over on RCG if you are into that sort of thing. I read, laughed, cried, scratched my head and thought about the Republican candidate field for about two pages and then decided my time was more valuable...

Regarding the 400' limit, this has been hashed over ad infinitum. My understanding from the AMA interpretation is that at this point it is only a guideline except within limits of tower-controlled airports. Have I missed something new or misinterpreting what others within the AMA hierarchy are saying? Having said this, I wouldn't be surprised if a regulation governing altitude won't appear at some point. I hope not. If it does, I would expect litigation from the hobby industry as well as the AMA. Even a large aerobatic model would have trouble working in a box below this altitude.

While there is a lot of animosity towards AMA at this point, I want to believe they are doing what they can to mitigate the effects of all this. Anybody else representing our interest (soaring/aerotow) in the meetings? Let's support them and give input where we can so that they have a united voice regarding our future.

Back to work.......

Last edited by Asher Carmichael; 12-16-2015, 04:15 PM.

Comment

We are NOT governed to a 400ft ceiling.

All of the GUIDELINES posted are just that........ GUIDELINES

IF they were the law, there would be no "Top Gun" Which takes place AT and airport, with most planes weighting well over 55lbs. Sanctioned by AMA.

The registration is a non issue. Register you're plane and dont fly over major cities and in front of full scale airplane.

Flame suit on!!!!
      Len Buffinton
      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Right now there is no 400 foot limit. Of course if a 400 foot limit is imposed, you can kiss aerotowing and all of soaring goodbye and our models will be worth pennies on the dollar.

Comment

Frank Tiano, who runs Top Gun has been in touch with FAA and pilots who come to fly from outside the US, for Top Gun or any other model flying, do not have to register with FAA before they fly...it's for US citizens only at this point.

Pete

Comment

I hope my registration number is really long. It will make an improved visibility marker underneath my wings so I can see my plane better at 401 feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher Carmichael View Post
              I hope my registration number is really long. It will make an improved visibility marker underneath my wings so I can see my plane better at 401 feet.
              They number doesn't have to be on the model, just inside the model, somewhere that does NOT need tools to be accessed. I am going to put it on the sidewall of a tire LOL

Comment

I think we have to remember AMA members are only 175,000 total members. Heck they are going to sell more than twice that many Quads for Christmas this year alone.. We have no lobbist to speak of so we are powerless...we are a tiny percent of the whole RC world...probably 1 in a million Americans are into RC of any kind......on the other hand, the FAA is so under staffed due to Federal budget cuts, not sure they have the man power to do much more than just talk about all this..... I suspect we will know more about spring time...in the mean time lots of BS likely to be flying about...kjk

Comment

The time line to register is a joke! Who thinks that the FAA/Government can have a website that will actually work by the February deadline?

The AMA is now asking us to hold off anyway. I hope they can do something to help the situation.

Comment

HOLD OFF ON REGISTERING

We also suggest you read Frequently Asked Questions about the Drone Registration Process On Wednesday, December 16 the AMA Executive Council unanimously app ...
                    Len Buffinton
                    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

I would like to know exactly how many people (non AMA members) register in the first week, do you think the FAA will divulge that figure?
                      Only one (new comer to RC) of all the customers we have had in the shop since the announcement had heard of this!

Jeremy and Ben
                      SCC AAA TT TN

Comment

What a joke! I just read an article that says that that once you register, your name and addres will go into a public searchable database on the FAA's website! Sure.....tell the public I've got ten's of thousand of dollars in a trailer in my back yard!! NOT ON YOUR LIFE!!!

Something else that is a complete joke, is that you are required to submit a credit card for the FAA to keep on file, they will only give out to the Chinese and North Korean governments.....when they decide to hack the database LOL....which leads me to, the minimum age for registering your "drone" is 13.......how many 13 year olds have a credit card?!?!

Pete

PS: I had heard through Frank Tiano, who runs Top Gun, that non US citizens will not be required to register their models if they fly at US events.....he got that from his local FAA contact....however another FAA source say that non US citizens will indeed have to register.
                        Last edited by Xroadie; 12-20-2015, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks to Tom K for this... Interesting legal brief on the validity of FAA's registration Interim Final Rule ...

http://www.mofo.com/~/media/Files/Cl...gistration.pdf

Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Originally posted by Xroadie View Post
                          What a joke! I just read an article that says that that once you register, your name and addres will go into a public searchable database on the FAA's website! Sure.....tell the public I've got ten's of thousand of dollars in a trailer in my back yard!! NOT ON YOUR LIFE!!!

Something else that is a complete joke, is that you are required to submit a credit card for the FAA to keep on file, that will only give out to the Chinese and North Korean governments.....when they deiced to hack the database LOL....which leads me to, the minimum age for registering your "drone" is 13.......how many 13 year olds have a credit card?!?!

Pete

PS: I had heard through Frank Tiano, who runs Top Gun, that non US citizens will not be required to register their models if they fly at US events.....he got that from his local FAA contact....however another FAA source say that non US citizens will indeed have to register.

Funny thing is, that an under the age of 13 year old child cannot register, but can be registered by anyone over 13! Makes that rule :NULL AND VOID" does it not!
                          We could have GOD (as our guardian) register for all of us under one number!

Jeremy and Ben
                          SCC AAA TT TN

Comment

So......... from reading about people that have signed up today for the FAA reg...... it seems that you have to agree to a list of requirements before you can "submit" your application.... one of those "requirements" is that you "Will not fly above 400 ft."
                            I guess that means that what we do...... scale sailplanes and aerotow are now a thing of the past..... it was fun while it lasted!
                            TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

Working...
                            X