Winch Launching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winch Launching

Here's a video of winch launching a full scale sailplane at Triple Tree!

I've been lucky enough to have winch launched twice off of Torrey Pines in a full size sailplane. The rush of the launch is impressive. The view of the ocean below was beautiful.

Tim

Comment

My very first flight was with my Uncle Hugh, off of a winch in Lasham UK, I was 17 and I wish I could remember what plane it was, I do believe it could have been a Blanik!
      We did ascend at a pretty steep angle to a altitude of about 1500 feet as it was at sunset and we had limited light. Great memories!

Jertemy and Ben
      SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

I have winch launched my 1/4 scale ASW 24 and my Ka6. To do it you need to put a tow hook on each side of the fuselage at the CG just under the wing. The tow bridal is made with a 1" steel ring on each end and one that floats in the middle. Hook your rings to the hooks on the side of your plane and then hook the winch line to the middle ring. I started with the plane on the ground and held the tail as I pushed on the winch pedal to get some tension on the line then I let her go. Once you over fly your pulley in the ground the rings come off of the hooks and Bob's you uncle.

Comment

Working...
        X