Camera Setups for Gliders and Towplanes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera Setups for Gliders and Towplanes

I got a Runcam 2 for Christmas and plan to use it to get a bunch of hat cam and in flight footage this season. In the past I've used Hobbyking wing cams and just velcro'd them to wings or tails. This works alright on gliders, but the vibration on the tow plane made for some lousy footage. Even had one fall off on take off! Wanted to see what other people have come up with to get that sweet in flight footage!
    Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Anybody have any info? I'm curious about this, too!

Comment

Yeah I'm still hoping someone will chime in!
      Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Best is to tape the cam down on the stab, the perfect tape, is the hinge tape or Blenderm (TM) tape, it stretch and is very tacky.

as far as the wing I use a camera mount that can be 3d printed as the picture below,

I am investigating how to do another mount at the junction of the two wing panels as pictures enclosed

My dream would be to be able to activate the cam in the air as there is a lot of footage generated on a flight...

Stéphane
        Horizon Hobby Team Member

Comment

• Sinkhappens86
          Sinkhappens86 commented
          Editing a comment
          Does the Blenderm leave any residue? That was part of the problem with the velcro is it became difficult to get the adhesive off.

• French1
          French1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Blenderm is OK if you remove it after your flight, don't let it cook under the sun for an entire afternoon and you will be allright

Originally posted by Sinkhappens86 View Post
        Yeah I'm still hoping someone will chime in!
        It's going to be difficult to isolate the camera from engine vibes on a towplane with a gas engine, I would think. My big electric tug shoots good video with an unstabilized Gopro mounted on 3M dual lock. If you have a gas engine, I'd try something like one of the anti-jello action cam mounts but with some Kyosho Zeal tape holding the camera to the isolated mounting plate. Double the isolation! A smooth multicylinder engine would also be a good place to start. But electric for the win! Here's a link to my giant tug flying and the Kyosho mounting gel I mentioned.

This flight was to get better footage of the area surrounding the flying field on the first nice partly cloudy day in a long, long time. It's been too hot ev...

Comment

Working...
        X