Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proud Papa moment. My son is now a Lieutenant in the USAF!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proud Papa moment. My son is now a Lieutenant in the USAF!

My son has been with me in this hobby since day one when we bought a little cheapie toy plane from Raidentech oh so many years ago. And despite all the early failures and setbacks he stuck it out and grew in the hobby with me. That is saying a lot for an 8 year old to not lose interest.

He started a journey back then to follow in my footsteps and be a part of the USAF. He has gone above and beyond any of my wildest dreams already and he is just getting started. He wanted to fly but that hasn't worked out just yet. Still time for that though and he is hoping to be picked up soon. He scored highest in his class and it the 98th percentile on his flight board scores but apparently the Air FOrce needs weather officers worse than they do pilots. As of right now he will be going to Barksdale AFB Louisiana to be the southeast regional weather forecaster for all the Air Force bases in the area.

He spent 4 years with the Corp of Cadets and USAF ROTC at Virginia Tech and graduated Cum Lade with a degree in Meteorology with a minor in Leadership. He was commissioned at a ceremony Friday night in Blacksburg after graduating. My wife and I had the honor of pinning on his rank and then being retired he honored me with his first salute.

He has been a man already for a long time but even after graduation I saw a boy still, then at commissioning I still saw a boy sitting in the first row waiting his turn. After taking his oath when we pinned him and I turned to stand and salute him something magical happened. Where a boy stood just seconds before now stood a man. A real man, proud tall and true.

This broken down crusty 'ol Sgt stood as tall as I could to salute the man he had become.

Yep, I am a proud Papa for sure.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	48.5 KB ID:	32268Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	111.4 KB ID:	32269Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	99.8 KB ID:	32270Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	67.3 KB ID:	32271

Wonderful! I'm so happy for you!!!

Comment

Congrats to both! Thank him for his choice to serve.

Comment

S! Congratulations on a job well done... all of you! S!

Comment

Thank you both for your service. Your son has a very bright future ahead of him.

Comment

Congratulations!!

From one proud dad to another. I have a son in the US MARINES, I'm so happy or you.

Thank you, your son and your family for the sacrifice and commitment it takes.

LEN
            Len Buffinton
            Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

thanks all. Now back to building my Skylark. lol

Comment

Working...
              X