Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RLake
    replied
    Just passed the Senate. Awaiting Trump’s signature.

Leave a comment:

• edfmaniac
    commented on 's reply
    That was just the House. The Senate has yet to vote on it and the AMA just sent out a new round of emails asking members to contact Senators. Having said that, I don't know when the Senate vote is.

• Mark9
    commented on 's reply
    The problem I've heard is that the vote is supposed to occur today. Nowhere near enough time to receive public comments by snail mail!

• edfmaniac
    replied
    I just spoke with the AMA government relations contact and she said that the bill is definitely not ironed out. And if it does pass, there are parts that are definitely up for debate as far as a hard 400' ceiling. The airspace other than that designated "G" is still totally under the control of the local administrator who can give permission for altitude clearances, just like at a full scale airshow where models are doing demos. She said that the authors of the bill are in contact with the AMA and don't have the intention of destroying our hobby, which is why the FAA is supposed to work with the community based clubs after passing to formulate specific waivers, protocols, etc. to allow us to continue contributing to our communities and the aviation world. I hope she's right. Fingers crossed but keep trying to spread the word about the no vote. I hear handwritten letters get through more often than not, as opposed to mass electronic mail.

Leave a comment:

• gunny11
    commented on 's reply
    So maybe we can get a waiver for soaring meets..

• edfmaniac
    commented on 's reply
    They are flying them into space now, need clearance with virtually no ceiling for those big events. I'm sure they have a decent relationship with the FAA already.

I wonder if the high performance freeflight planes will fall under the new rules as well. They certainly fly above 400ft.

• Mark9
    commented on 's reply
    Even with the low cloud layer on Sunday at the Mickey Sullivan our first tows were over 500' before the layer started to break-up. Mark was just into the clouds on release with the tow plane. Turned out to be a great final day before I needed to leave for Texas.

• Mark9
    commented on 's reply
    They apply for a waiver for those events, That's why they don't happen every weekend.

• gunny11
    replied
    And what about model rocketry? Some of the really elaborate big ones go up to like 10,000 feet.
    Last edited by gunny11; 09-25-2018, 04:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    The same way you get ticketed if exceeding the speed limit ... some poor schmuck will get caught... you just hope it isn't you! lol

• ErichS
    replied
    How are they going to enforce this? Here we go again

Leave a comment:

• Soaranator
    replied
    I made all the calls and posted it on Facebook and asked everyone to share..

Congress just released a new Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) reauthorization bill, the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018. This bill is the result of clo ...

Leave a comment:

• BryanB
    replied
    Not just the 400ft ceiling. Every pilot will have to take a test for aeronautical knowledge which isn't too big a deal. Remote id for every aircraft (transponder) additional avionics cost. The complete repeal of part 336 is in this bill which means the FAA can and will change the rules anytime they want. If this bill passes it will end many Hobby companies and all the associated cottage industries as well as the AMA unless you just want to use them for insurance coverage.
    This bill will end IMAC, Pattern and Soaring which all need more than 400ft ceilings.

Leave a comment:

• RLake
    replied
    The wording is not ambiguous! If it passes, a hard 400’ limit.

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    replied
    'Rights tend to erode away and don't disappear overnight. First it's just registering your model with a tax, then it's an ID and licensee requirement, then it's restricted to CBO's, then it's restricted to certain dates at CBO's, then it's just restricted.... '

That's how Hitler did it!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X