Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pete914
    replied
    After reading the model aircraft section of the bill it seems like licensing for model piloting is on the table? Definitely for FPV. That sucks.

However, the NOTAM idea isn't terrible. If the FAA will respect modelers and honor a NOTAM request immediately and effectively for an event or just flying the weekend, etc at the CBO field; this might increase safety by .00001% for full-scale aircraft and remove some ambiguity with hard deck. WE love to spend billions of dollars on ambiguous results as Americans (war on drugs anyone?). Hopefully we can avoid a "war on drones".

Things change slowly in government. I don't want to get too excited because the AMA has come through and really is our only voice. They aren't fighting for the right of baby's to have naptime; they are fighting the military industrial complex. It's very hard to win that fight.

Call your congressmen and women as I have. Write letters. It's drones they're after this year, it might be our 1/3 scale ships in 3 years....

Rights tend to erode away and don't disappear overnight. First it's just registering your model with a tax, then it's an ID and licensee requirement, then it's restricted to CBO's, then it's restricted to certain dates at CBO's, then it's just restricted....

The "know before you fly" campaign costs $1,000,000!!! Wow, I don't think we got our value out of that campaign as tax payers....

Last edited by pete914; 09-23-2018, 01:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• edfmaniac
    replied
    They've kept it legal for this long. Let's hope the language that they have lobbied to keep in the bill that passed will still give us the ability to register NOTAM's for our specific flying sites that allow for continued busting of the 400 ft ceiling. The wording, what little I read is still very ambiguous. Seems like the lawyers will have to do the final interpretation of what was in the bill when it was signed. Let's hope for another one of those letters from the FAA that says the community based standards, in combination with local administrator notification and/or NOTAM registration allows for the status quo to be maintained. The AMA has worked long and hard to keep us flying.

If they still allow planes over 55lbs to be flown with nothing other than community based safety inspection and allow high powered turbines, they are going to have to expect planes to end up flying above the 400ft mark. I really expect to hear something about waivers, be it permanent or temporary, before this is done.

Leave a comment:

• DennisB
    started a topic FAA reauthorization act

FAA reauthorization act

The current wording is ominous. Hard 400 foot ceiling. Let’s hope something is worked out for us. Right now I despise the AMA, let’s hope they aren’t as worthless as they appear to be.
Working...
X