Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Paint for White - DG-800 Carf?

Hey All

I am redoing the canopy on my carf DG-800, due to a hangar rash crack which then spread very quickly after a bouncy landing at cumberland...gunny told me about the cool method of slowing cracks, but never got to it in time.

What do think is the best off the shelf rattle can from Loews, Auto Zone etc, that would match it? Need to do the trim around the edges. High Gloss, semi gloss? Probably would not need primer on smooth canopy plastic I'm guessing...or?

Don;'t want to try out a whole bunch of different ones if possible.

thanks
    Matt

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	18582
    Attached Files

Matt, the best match for White Gelcoat is LustreKote Spray Jet White 10 oz from Top-Flite!

Jeremy and Ben
    SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

awesome, and perfect, thanks much Jeremy and Ben..will order...do you think canopy plastic would need priming?

M
      Last edited by hello82; 08-06-2017, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Matt,
        I find its helpful to remove the gloss w 300 paper. Tape the line you plan to paint, take off the gloss, retape, prime, and then shoot.
        The Jet White absolutely rules on most fuselages. It's thin and builds slowly so you'll need many coats for a canopy. Go slow.
        I've had good luck with the Krylon products that say they also work on plastic. I just did a canopy trim with Krylon Cover Maxx. It is a bright white.
        Steve
        Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

The DG 800 from CARF is a much brighter white than all the other Euro ships.
          Since I had to do a wing repair on mine, I had some original paint from the manufacturer and figured I would touch up a few spots on other planes, WOW, it did not match at all. It was a least 5 shades whiter than the Shark and Duo Discus.
          I would recommend the Krylon Steve posted about.
          ALWAYS PRIME.
          Its the bonding coat between the paint and the product.
          One tip, as Steve said, very light coats. Its FAR better to put on 5 misting coats than two heavy coats that you have to sand off because it ran.

LEN
          Len Buffinton
          Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

thanks guys....so Len, you think the Krylon would be a better match than the top flite white then, from your actual experience on the carf paints?

Comment

Working...
            X