Vario, which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vario, which one?

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but I have the opportunity to purchase a vario from one of our club members. I've been thinking having a vario in my Blanik, yet to be flown, would be a nice feature to have.

First off I fly Airtronics, so no built in telemetry and I don't plan to switch any time soon. Also, I know very little about the two brands he has to sell, Wstech and Piccolario, other than reading some from the internet. It would appear that there are people that extol the virtues of each. I have only flown a friends TD ship once while using a vario, so I have little experience with them.

So, I am looking for advice on preferred frequencies for use here in the US, features, ease of use and other things I should consider when deciding which one to acquire. Things I would like to learn would be like: is a total energy probe needed? I will also need to purchase a receiver, since he will be keeping his to use with his vario and would like some input on that as well. TIA.
    Mark

From a function and simplicity standpoint, I preferred the Sky Assistant from Pitlab. You may be able to find a used one by posting in the classified section of various sites. New, they run about $170. Great flexibility, computer link, etc.

https://www.hyperflight.co.uk/produc...e=SKYASSISTANT

You can use a basic and inexpensive dual-band walkie-talkie and choose the channel of your linking. A TEP is not needed with the Sky Assistant, I found they work fine just inside the fuselage not crowded by other components. There is a TEP tap on the side if you'd like.

I have been flying sailplanes for nearly 40 years including many years of intensive F3J and F3K contest flying and only adopted a vario when I went into scale. Truth is, while I liked having rx battery voltage announcements, I found it made me enjoy flying far less. And, I tended to chase up beeps and duck down tones instead of reading air, closely watching the wings of the plane and attitude of the tail and thereby seeking the very best lift. I sold all three varios and haven't looked back.

YMMV.
    Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

• Mark9
      Mark9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Steve, I have been flying sailplanes almost exclusively since the 70's as well, with a few short breaks. As I stated I've only flown with one once and found that I was already half way through the first thermal turn before the vario indicated it was there multiple times during that flight. Never used one in competition, usually it's frowned upon. Always have used what the airplane was telling my eyes. I too wonder if I would find the beeps and tones distracting...enjoy the quiet, serene, zen like aspect of thermal flying.

I use sky assistant also and I am very happy with it and with the service when I had the need to repair one
    Stéphane
    Horizon Hobby Team Member

Comment

Hi MarkS

I've used both the WS Tech and RC Electornics, both have unique features. My main unit now is the RC Electronics for use in GPS triangle racing (and cross country )and just playing around flying.
      the WS Tech has a mode selectable feature via servo channel , one being "Sound OFF"..... for the Zen experience. The RC Electronic unit has a volume control for the same effect.

http://www.wstech.de/ looks like the ENGLISH link is no longer operational
      http://www.rc-electronics.org/ .... Rick Shelby is the US contact

TEK probe in the tail is a must to avoid elevator stick induced "thermals"
      Yes, there is some lag in the vario reporting - not as noticeable at higher altitudes.(bigger thermals)

Units on the 433 MHz band have 69 "channels (frequency's) to choose from ( 25 KHz spacing ) .....don't use channel 26 as that's the one I'm on.
      There's a bank of switches on the most vario unit to select the channel ....having the vario accessible is a plus for channel conflict resolution
      I purchased a receiver that the WS tech was selling at the time of my first Vario purchase ( Midland G7 ) It would be pretty safe to order the unit Hyperfllight is selling
      Intek MT-3030 Vario Receiver - Volume control for the variable ZEN experience

I do recommend the use of a ear plug headphone as it doesn't fall off as easily, isn't affected by WIND.(clear sound so you can use a lower volume setting)... and allows other sailplane pilots there own ZEN experience.

Scott

Comment

Working...
      X