No announcement yet.

New Hangar for HighPoint Aviation Airfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are no words that can express how lucky we are, as a soaring community, for your generosity, dedication, commitment and love of the fun, friendship, respect and learning we all gain from the times on the mountain. It is your passion and foresight that has founded this Jim. Combined with the dedication of the group, we make a hell of a crowd that thankfully has a table of soul food to feast on. It takes a very unique person to realize 50 years ago what the mountain holds and how important it is and what it is really founded in. Thanks and have a merry Christmas.

​Scot

Comment

• JimD
      JimD commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Scot, your words are very much appreciated. 😊

very well said Scot! Merry Xmas all and see you at the spring fun fly on your beautiful mountain....

Matt

Comment

Did a test of concept for a sailplane storage rack in the hangar at HighPoint...

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Jim,

Looks good, but.......how is the wind in the hanger with the big door open? Just worried about airplanes being blown off the racks on those crazy windy days.

Blake

Comment

• JimD
          JimD commented
          Editing a comment
          Obviously, both doors cannot be opened at the same time or a catastrophe would happen. If only the door opposite the wind is opened, things inside are safe. This is also an issue with models just sitting on the floor.

We have had a week of really nice weather, so decided to take advantage of it and get the deck and steps stained. We picked a solid stain called "Desert Wood" and started on the railing.

There are ten sections of railing and it is mind numbing to paint all of the angles,tops, sides, and bottoms.Knowing how long this part was going to be, it seemed like a good idea to do the railings first, so the floor would be last and fast...but, the weather was so nice, we decided to go ahead and do the step surfaces after getting the hand railing completed.

Back to the deck railings...did I mention how mind numbing painting railing is???

Finally, the floor...lots of progress in not so much time!

At 4:30 today, finally all done! Very pleased with the results.

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Wow Jim, That looks great. That is a lot of staining with one little brush. Cant wait to see it.

Steve K
          Steve K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

yeah That is a lot of staining with one little brush!...looking sweet...that first picture with the super low cloud cover at ridge level...wish I was zipping through it with a sailplane!! See you guys soon again. Matt

Comment

3rd step from the bottom 150mm from the left, you missed a spot
              Just kidding, great job on the details as always Jim. But I'm sure you will go up and check non the less
              Looking forward to seeing it in 2 weeks.

Jeremy and Ben
              SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

Guess now we'll have to remove are shoes before we enter!!

Comment

Monday following the recent Spring Soar for Fun, we started a new addition to the hangar. Both ends will have extensions added and an additional 2000 gallon water tank and 3500W solar power system installed to supply 110v AC.

First step was to remove the side walks from both ends.

Underground plumbing fro new men's room.

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Next was to dig hole for new water holding tank.

Old tank will fill first and then overflow into the new tank. Amazing how fast rain fills these tanks!

While this was being done, I filled the 100 gallon roller (35 gallons at a time) from a tank in the back of my truck. Gravity feed system.

We also had both sides of the road cleared to make maintenance easier.

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Wow Jim,
                      From a wold class site to a ... Universe class site?

Were you able to figure out how large to make my trailer pad or do you need the dimensions?

Thanks for allowing us all to enjoy your dream with you.
                      Len Buffinton
                      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• JimD
                        JimD commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I will mark it out before removing the imprint with the roller today! LOL

just when we thought it couldn't get any better!.....did you pull that roller all the way from where the hunting hut is?

Comment

Amazing work James!!

Comment

Jim, Outstanding!! You keep outdoing yourself every time I check back on the thread. Seems there is a trend developing here - but glad you are enjoying retirement.

Comment

Working...
                          X