Bob Hoover passes away at 94

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Hoover passes away at 94

Hoover was a World War II fighter pilot, a former Air Force test pilot and the chase plane pilot for Chuck Yeager when he broke the sound barrier for the first time.

One hell of a glider pilot!

Over the years, I got to see Bob Hoover fly both the Shrike and P-51 on four different occasions.The performances were magical...seeing the Aero Commander Shrike doing fluid aerobatics seemed natural, like it was just meant to be...but then your brain kicks in and says that just can't be real!

One year at the Reading, Pennsylvania air show, the announcer explained that many pilots had trouble mastering the task of landing the P-51. With that, Bob approached the short runway with flaps and gear down and gently banked while touching one of the main gear wheels on the runway. It rolled along a distance and just as though gravity were suddenly turned off, the P-51 broke ground and with absolute smooth grace did a 360 degree roll before ever so lightly touching the opposite main gear wheel onto the runway.

Then came the point roll passes, First a crisp four point hesitation slow roll. Then a 180 degree turn with an equally crisp eight point roll going the opposite direction in front of the crowd. Then another 180 degree turn for another pass, this time... 1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10...11...12.. .13...14...15...16...precision points were carved into the sky!

Each show ended with the Shrike, and the favorite part was always the both engines out routine...always the same, "routine" with the controls in Bob's hands. The clean high speed pass with the belly inches from the ground into a giant loop and then the gear and flaps deployed as the Shrike stopped precisely at each of four points then turning to land and roll to a stop right in front of the crowd! Magical!

Thanks for the memories and RIP Robert A, "Bob" Hoover.
    A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Mr. Hoover will be missed.

Comment

An airshow Icon. RIP Mr Hoover.
        Len Buffinton
        Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

He will be missed and never duplicated. Childhood idol for sure.

Comment

If pilots could get half of his energy management skills, there would be a ton less accidents. An incredible pilot with gifted instincts.

Comment

I witnessed Bob's incredible skills and on every occasion was in aw. Not only his skills as a pilot but graciousness of his humanity was truly remarkable.

There are two types of pilots; one who straps in and goes flying; and the true pilot who straps the plane onto himself and goes flying of which Bob was the best.

RIP Bob.

Comment

Sorry he is gone....but I bet he is flying now!!

My first airshow was in 1969 and Bob flew the Aero Commander and a P-51!! What an eye opening performance that was. He's another one of those WW2 hero's that we are losing everyday. I loved reading about his wartime story. It was like a hollywood movie. He was assigned to a squadron in Sicily, flying Spitfires. On his 59th mission, off the coast of Southern France, his Spitfire malfunctioned and he was shot down by a high scoring ace flying an FW-190. He spent over a year as a POW then managed to escape, steal another FW-190 from an airfield and fly it to safety. An amazing man and an amazing flyer!

RIP Bob

Comment

This is a great watch. Some fantastic recollections plus at 27:40, " it was heaven without dyin' " {:-D ... what a full life.
                  D.

Everything's A Compromise

Comment

I was once introduced to Mr. Hoover by a friend at Oshkosh several years ago. I had dinner with he and his wife and was in awe while talking about aviation.

RIP Bob Hoover

Comment

Working...
                    X