Lipo or A123 for HV servos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lipo or A123 for HV servos

I'm putting together second Blanik that has been sitting in the box for over two years... I was letting the epoxy and paint cure!

Anyhow, I have HV servos and am interested in thoughts on Lipo vs A123. I have used A123'for several years and like them. However, the HV servos can make use of 8.4 Lipo voltage. Perhaps I don't need for the Blanik. Thoughts?

Dave

We've used A123s on my Dad's Blanik and the servos have had plenty of torque. I don't know that you'll see much of a difference with Lipo vs A123
    Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Hi Dave.
      123"s are a solid choice, but limited in capacity choices. You also need to pay very close attention to the usage since the fall-off is like stepping off a cliff.
      These new packs look good, I recently bought a couple. http://www.horizonhobby.com/SPMB4000LFRX
      They give big capacity at reasonable cost.

Lipo are very good and you get the extra horse power and capacity choice. Downside of course is the volatility to charging and damage.

Len Buffinton
      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• Celuft
        Celuft commented
        Editing a comment
        Len, that battery has some grunt, good choice

Carl

• Soarntz
        Soarntz commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, it's back ordered now....

• Soarntz
        Soarntz commented
        Editing a comment
        Though, I'm in no hurry

Dave, Can you get A123's in packs greater than 6.6V? I thought that A123 cells were 3.3V each, I believe to utilize the torque capability of HV servos, you need 7.4V. I certainly could be wrong. I use Li-Ion 7.4V packs for my HV setups and most guys use 2S Li-po's. I don't have any hands on experience with the Blanik, but from what I have observed, I would put HV servos on the flaps, and with not being a fan of splitting up servo voltage, if one servo is HV, then I go all HV in the airplane. But all of that is simply personal preference.

Scot

Comment

I have A123's in the Antares, They charge very quickly but as Len said they drop off quick and I don't like that! Lipos are the better solution but my choice is to use Nihm's, I hear you laugh as it is old technology, but think about it you can make up any size in 1.2V increments and as you are going to add nose weight anyway I would rather use it in the power source. Once charged I can fly my planes with a Spektrum Power Safe receiver and two 5000mah batteries for 2 days without the worry of low power
        My 2 cents worth.

Jeremy and Ben
        SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

I don't think there is anything wrong with Nimh, but how do you get to 7.4V in 1.2V increments. On the other hand, does the 0.2V shortfall really make a difference? Not a great one. I bet the torque reduction is a direct ratio of the voltages. I choose Li-Ion batteries because of the lower/almost non-existent probability of fire while charging or crash. The consequence is cost, they are not inexpensive batteries. I use Duralite Sentinel series.

Comment

Cheapskate who now goes with big 2S Turnigy NanoTec LiPos. Still many planes with dual 5000 mAh 5S NiMh packs.

BTW! Becoming a huge fan of the JR NX8931 servos. The new JR line operates on a range of 4.8 - 8.5V at 319 - 506 ounces of torque.
            Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

thanks for all you thoughts.as you know, i don,t fly "non-stop" so i can easily top off the A123's.. how does the lipo battery perform in the cold weather as a flight battery?

Comment

No real issues I have found for Lipos in cold weather for RX use. We are not pulling a high C rate from the packs. I really don't fly often in frigid weather.
                Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Originally posted by Stew2 View Post
                  I don't think there is anything wrong with Nimh, but how do you get to 7.4V in 1.2V increments. On the other hand, does the 0.2V shortfall really make a difference? Not a great one. I bet the torque reduction is a direct ratio of the voltages. I choose Li-Ion batteries because of the lower/almost non-existent probability of fire while charging or crash. The consequence is cost, they are not inexpensive batteries. I use Duralite Sentinel series.
                  Dave said they can handle 8.4V, so that would be 7 cells

Jeremy and Ben
                  SCCAAA TT TN
                  Last edited by Swiss1; 06-10-2016, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Never had a problem with the cold and lipo's, but like Steve said, we don't require high discharge rates

Len Buffinton
                    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Thanks Len, that's what I was thinking....

Comment

If it's frigid I'm likely looking to slope

Comment

Don't forget to drop the voltage for the spoilers. They can only handle 5V.

Comment

Originally posted by Csessa View Post
                            Don't forget to drop the voltage for the spoilers. They can only handle 5V.

Comment

• Soarntz
                              Soarntz commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yes, I have a couple of these, thanks Connio and Steve
                          Working...
                          X