Parkzone Radian XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parkzone Radian XL

Wow..this looks huge! I love the original Radian, went for the Radian Pro but hated it, this one looks like a great glider, albeit a foamy.

Thread here with commentary from HH rep:

Price seems good, beats the Multiplex prices for sure.

Looks nice.

Comment

We drove up to Chattanooga on Saturday to do some flying with my friend David Payne who as most of you know is a Horizon Developer and he happened to have an XL with him.
      The Summit RC field is located on top of an old dump site and has just been repaved, so you have a drop off on all sides, so no matter which they the wind is blowing you can get some slope lift, add in a thermal and I was zig zagging that XL with no effort whatsoever. I must say this is a great model for the first timers, including the advanced pilot just to carry along for fun. The inherent floppy tail has gone due to a rather large carbon tube running the full length of the boom which house the elevator and rudder push rods.It has a polyhedral wing so tip stalling just does not happen.All in all it gets thestamp of approval. He also had the Timber available for us to fly, and what a great STOL, with full flaps and its wing slats you can fly at a snails pace and stop it on a dime Click image for larger version

Name:	Radian New.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	10361

Jeremy and Ben
      SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

I've had my eye on this plane since it was announced. Don't think it will be available for the summer soar for fun in Cumberland but maybe in the fall.

Comment

If they are available I will bring some with me to Cumberland!

Jeremy and Ben
          SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

• Celuft
            Celuft commented
            Editing a comment
            If you bring them I'll give one a home!

Looks like they will be available by the start of July!
          If so, I will bring them to Cumberland.

Jeremy and Ben
          SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

Good deal!

Comment

OK Carl, we just picked up thr Radian XL;s from Horizon yesterday and one is heading your way on Monday with Jim!

Jeremy and Ben
              SCC AAA TT TN

Comment

Flight report:

Assembly is simple and quick (can easily be done at the field) producing a large substantial model. We used an Eflite 3,200mAh 3-cell LiPo battery for power and the model balanced perfectly, no other measures needed to achieve balance. Binding to our DX-9 transmitter was quick and easy following the instruction manual. Controls are RES (rudder, elevator, spoilers) plus motor. One thing we did was mix rudder to aileron so either stick will turn the model.

The first flight might as well been the tenth flight, the big Radian gently climbed straight away from our hand launch at half throttle. The rudder is extremely effective with little or no hesitation establishing a bank into a turn. The rudder is almost aileron like in this regard and gives the pilot an immediate sense of confidence. With only using three minutes of motor run time, our first flight lasted thirty minutes. I am thinking they used helium in the expanded foam construction because the plane is absolutely buoyant in the sky. It will float around in calm air as if there is an invisible hand holding it up!

Years ago, it was tradition that a group of us would launch our 2M electrics late in the day and see who would be the last one to land because it got too dark to see. Many times Joe, Greg and I lined up our chairs on the edge of the flight line and just kicked back watching the sunset turn to nightfall while our sailplanes cruised up and down the ridge...I miss that, but I can see the Radian XL being just the plane to re-establish the tradition. BTW, Joe bought one so we have plans!
                A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Nice report Jim, I'm expecting Snatch to be in the shop today to get one and we both will be bringing them to Cumberland in a few weeks. The end of the day event sounds like a great idea, nothing like a little healthy competition I will bring extras with me for anyone who wants or needs one to join in.

Jeremy and Ben
                  SCC AAA TT TN

Comment

On another note the Timber STOL just shipped on Friday and will be in the shop on Tuesday, a fun little plane that can fly very slowly with Slats and Flaps, takes off and lands on a dime and includes floats!

Jeremy and Ben
                    SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

Radian XL over HighPoint

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Note, there are two service bulletins on the XL. Lack of glue/twists in the tail. And, lack of glue in the mail panel spar doublers!!!

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...0#quickSupport
                        Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

• Mark Stone
                          Mark Stone commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I had the same problem with a normal Radian. No glue for the last 100mm of the fibreglass stiffner.

Got some more stick time on the Radian XL, and passed the transmitter to a couple other guys at the field last evening. All are impressed with the way it floats around as if magically being held up in the sky! Got several 30 minute flights on 3 minutes of motor run time...and I wasn't even trying to find lift!

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Thanks for the flight report and the photos. I just might have to try one.

Comment

Working...
                          X