Strictly Hypothetically Speaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strictly Hypothetically Speaking

This is just a "What if?" scenario. Any semblance to actual persons or events is completely coincidental.

Imagine, if you will, a beautiful afternoon, lots of puffy cumulus clouds. Just the occasional tinge of gray lining the bottom of the some of the larger examples, filling the range of vision in sky of subdued blue. Our erstwhile (but imaginary) sailplane pilot is enraptured, having skipped from thermal to thermal for the past 15 minutes. Currently cruising inverted, up range at about 250' of altitude, the nose is brought around to point at the upwind end of the landing area, the sleek wings of the ASW28 are rolled upright, leveled to the horizon and the elevator stick pushed forward. Anticipation and airspeed build together as the plane accelerates effortlessly, the controls becoming more responsive with the increased airflow.

Blissful anticipation becomes an unquenchable grin as the sleek machine whistles past 10 feet above the runway, its groundspeed aided by 15 knots of wind feeding into what must be a massive thermal just downrange. All other thoughts are pushed to the back of his or her mind.

Now let's take a minute and examine what some of those thoughts, way back in the mind, are.
    1) The wind is a tailwind and unfortunately lift is not based on groundspeed.
    2) The lovely sleek imagined plane is actually a fuselage built from the same material as a Clorox bottle with foam wings that are not in their virgin state, having previously encountered obstacles.
    3) The trailing edges of said wing are fully 3/16" thick (that's nearly 5mm for those elites who would not fly a plane that used Imperial units).
    4) The reviews of this plane strangely omit any praise of its energy retention.

Back to our imaginary present and the "What if?" What if our trusting pilot now pulls the stick back expecting to regain much of the altitude we just traded off for speed in that lovely low level pass?

Let your imaginations wander.

One possible outcome might involve a quick but harsh lesson in laminar flow, a tree, a series of 10 sections of PVC and some duct tape but, as this is all hypothetical, I'll leave you to your own conclusions.

For some reason, I have this image of Charlie Brown looking up at his kite stuck in the top of a tree...
    A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Continuing with the Hypothetical situation,
      What if, as you so eloquently described, the plane came to rest in a tree and needed to be returned to earth with a PVC pole? Would the owner then board a plane and fly to CT for an aerotow the following week? Would he bring his PVC pole?

Len
      Len Buffinton
      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Jim,

And a very nice visual that is, poor old Charlie Brown.

Len,

In answer to your hypothetical questions:
        That could have happened.
        That is going to happen.
        Quoting the great Jose Jiminez "Oh, I hope not."
        Please tell me that either:
        A) The Connecticut laws of aerodynamics are more relaxed than those of Florida or
        B) There are no sailplane eating trees near the field.

Comment

Hypothetically speaking, if you were accustomed to flying a giant scale sailplane with a 6M span and then got a new giant scale sailplane that looks exactly the same but has an 8M span, holding the retinal image size the same would result in the larger model appearing closer than it really is. Then, hypothetically speaking, if there was a distant tree line that you would normally be in front of on landing approach based on the retinal image size you were accustomed to, this tree line may no longer be behind the sailplane...

Did I mention that we met a tree climber that was incredibly talented...
          A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

No tree climbing this year - at any of the aero-tows!!! That is what I want to make a group goal!! That too could go bad in itself though... Let's be safe out there.

Comment

I asked my son, who is into photo-shop, to put together an image of what it might look like if a plane landed in a tree, (which may or may not, hypothetically speaking). H Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0201.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	9984 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0244.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	9985 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0252.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	9986 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0272.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	9987 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0283.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	9988 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0260.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	9989 ere is what we came up with.
              This is strictly hypothetical

Len Buffinton
              Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

My Vampyr likes the trees... and distant valleys of Cumberland! I've gotten great walking exercise due to my poor sailplane flying skills. I've gained weight now that I can fly a little better!
                Back to your 'what if'... if you pulled back on the stick quickly enough thinking you have energy to be converted to altitude then that foamy just might 'clap' its wingtips together! Then it would go into the trees!

Comment

JimD,

Just a friendly warning, we might be sanctioned on this site for even implying there are any possible negatives to larger wingspan. Mum's the word.

Regarding what could hypothetically result if you go to a larger span, I have that very concern about flying a larger plane on our abandoned golf course. More than once I've been alarmed by how large the shadow of my glider was on the trees I was certain I was already well past. An extra meter of wingspan would have brought shadows to my face instead of the trees.

Len,

Kudos to your son on the PS work. I couldn't find any evidence of his tampering. Very realistic representation of a hypothetical nightmare.

ARUP,

I'm sure your your assumption would be borne out by fact in a real life situation. Luckily these are all, well, just hypothetical...

Comment

BCarter, yes... you are correct! It's a hypothetical scenario about Vampyr, trees, valleys, fangs and blood, sweat and tears.
                    The PS images above are really convincing but I see one leaf out of context. See if the forum visitors can find it!
                    Last edited by ARUP; 05-15-2016, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Enough of the hypothetical, what happened? I turn my back and go to Joe Nall and you guy's just get silly

Jeremy and Ben
                      SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

What would happen if, hypothetically, you wanted to let someone who hadn't flown scale gliders before try out your new scale glider and when you handed him the transmitter you pointed out the wrong plane and then proceeded to watch the wrong plane for about 3 minutes. Nah! Nobody could do something that silly...

Comment

You would hypothetically have to buy a new sailplane. Maybe a Discus?
                          Len Buffinton
                          Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Hypothetically speaking, it would be an opportunity to get a larger sailplane...ain't say'n, just say'n
                            A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Len,

Now that is a great thought. Do you know anyone who deals in scale sailplanes? Pssst... Hey buddy! You looking to score a sailplane? ;-)

JimD,

Easy there, next thing you know I'll be shopping for a hypothetical trailer.

Comment

Working...
                              X