Aerotowing at Clover Creek Aerodrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aerotowing at Clover Creek Aerodrome

Swiss 1, Snatch, Jim Fitts, Max Wensell and I just spent a weekend teaching the crew at CCA the intricacies of aerotowing in preparation for their first aerotow scheduled for September 18-20. I can gladly report that John Schroder, Gil and Skip have earned their tow badges and are hereby declared to be veteran tow pilots with honors.

A little background. CCA is the brainchild of John and Tina Schroder. After a lifetime in business, dedication to IMAC and a passion for encouraging and mentoring youth into the RC hobby, John and Tina purchased a functioning Bermuda grass sod farm in Tennessee, about an hour east of Memphis. Today, it is known as Clover Creek Aerodrome and is the home to many IMAC competitions, a growing fun fly, summer camp for youth and now an aerotow.

Probably the most impressive contribution to me is summer camp. As schools across the country end for summer break, 10-15 high school age students descend on CCA for camp. Here, they are encouraged, instructed and mentored by John and his team as they strive to improve their aerobatic skills. They also are disciplined as they each assume duties around the farm. Yes, CCA is a functioning farm. Around July 4th, the kids, their planes and John travel to Muncie to participate in the Nats competition. The parents are in attendance to watch their kids who return home with them after the event. John and Tina host these kids for this 8 week period and if it is anything like the hospitality we received this past weekend it has to make an impact on these kids. This is an example of the commitment this couple has for model aviation.

CCA is one of those rare, phantasmagorical model fields you dream about. The runway is 7/8" tall Bermuda and is as green as I have ever seen. The runway is about 2000 ft long by 200 ft wide and flat as a pancake. The air conditioned hangar has a covered patio with fans, sound system and chairs. There are two full baths and enough room for perhaps 20, 33%-40% planes. Then there is the bunk house which is used to room the kids during summer camp. There is a lodge room on the lower floor for evenings which is open to all participants of events. There is also an outdoor kitchen where Tina works her magic and a saltwater pool and hot tub for use by all attendees.

The usual protocol is camping for flyers. You have access to the baths and hamburgers and hotdogs are available at lunch during events. The metropolitan town of Jackson is a 25 minute drive to the north if you require more upscale accomodations or an evening meal.
    I really can't say enough about this venue. I know I am looking forward to returning in September. If possible, you ought to consider attending as well.
    Last edited by Asher Carmichael; 08-18-2015, 03:33 AM.

null
    Last edited by Asher Carmichael; 08-18-2015, 03:30 AM.

Comment

I'm in! If anything I need the BIG field so as to successfully land and not hang up in trees, soybean fields or the next valley! Boy... do I ever need practice!

Comment

Thanks for the report Asher...even though we had a great day of aerotowing here on Saturday, I was jealous when you told me you guys were headed there to try it out...

Looking forward to the event!

Comment

Laura and the kids sure enjoyed the swimming while we soared.
          Last edited by Max Wensell; 08-18-2015, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Well, Asher summed it up pretty well!
            If it's within your driving range make sure you attend. John told us that all assembled planes will be able to be stored in the large equipment barn, so once you have received your last tow of the day you leisurely walk down the flight line and make your landing directly behind the Barn

​

There will be a video to follow shortly.
            So this event receives the SCC stamp of approval

Jeremy and Ben
            SCC AAA TT TN

Comment

For Video, See Events or follow this link......https://youtu.be/Hu97E48py1g

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3766.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	3027

Comment

Good Stuff!

Comment

Wow, such kind words when the thanks goes to you guys for taking the time to show the CCA team how to host an Aero-Tow event.

Thank You

See you all in September
                  Gil

Gil R Major
                  912 604 1087

Comment

4 100cc or bigger Tugs will be on site with dedicated Tug pilots

There are still some bunks available.

Clover Creek is looking spectacular as usual!

Come join us or come learn all about Aero-Tow
                    Gil

Gil R Major
                    912 604 1087

Comment

Add a Turbine Porter to that Tug list Gil, that is if it meets John's approval

Jeremy and Ben
                      SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

First nite @ CCA. John and Tina, you're the best!

Comment

Aww man,
                          Is that Jeremy's Pilatus Porter starting again?
                          Len Buffinton
                          Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

weather looks great this morning.Lots of very nice planes. Lots of new friends being made.

see you soon,
                            John

Comment

Lunch! Baked Ziti, salad and garlic bread.
                              Great first day of flying.

Comment

Working...
                              X