No announcement yet.

Flying in Salem CT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll be up Friday. Need some practice, it has been too many weeks off the runway.

Comment

• Hope to make it by noon Sat. Been way too long.....

Comment

• I'll be there Saturday morning by 9 w the 111, Fox and HKM Nimbus.
        Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

• So do I get a prize for being the first in the corn?

anyway, thanks for a great day. Small showing but great flying and such good weather.

thanks again for the help recovering the Blanik.

have a good time Saturday. see you next time

Comment

• ahh that corn does look high again Conio! Can't make it myself this weekend, have a good one all.

Matt

Comment

• Thanks all. Fun day today. I had every intention of taking some photos, but just too darn busy. Stupid easy lift through most of the day. Who would have thought Len taking low tows and spend time floating around slowly?!?!?!?!

We learned the rearward CG limiit in a Bidule. It went from tame, to sporty to insane when the tank was near empty. All is well now, back at the original spot. Time to tighten down those main wheels so the 120 doesn't roll it forward on idle.

Onward to Muncy!
              Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

• Good to see all the guys out again at the local field.
                Steve, Dan, Scot, Jeff, Don C, Don S, Tom, Conio, Bob, and lots of club members, The two days were filled with excellent lift and very nice weather. I thought I was getting better at finding lift and working it until I heard all the guys saying, " man the lift is stupid today, It's everywhere, even Len is staying up" haha

Thanks to all for showing up, thanks Steve and Scot for towing and Bob once again for feeding us on Friday and letting me scare him with his Carbon Cub on Saturday.

Len
                Len Buffinton
                Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• Len...I heard a saying from the movie "Monsters": "we scare because we care"..........you know the carbon cub and how it flies better than anyone I know......my fear is solely based on my lack of understanding and experience with how the carbon cub can fly.........definitely not due to your flying ability............you are helping educate me !

A great couple days at Salem and always great to be with everyone. Many thanks to all who towed.

Looking forward to the next time we can get together and have some more fun.

Bob

Comment

• Great day to finally get out and get some dust off the Blanik and rust out of the fingers. Thanks Len for organizing the 2 days (though I only made Sat) and to Steve and Scot for towing Sat and assuming Len and others on Friday. If Len did tow, sorry I missed it. Every time I saw him in the air he was defying gravity about 100' over the corn just waiting for the field / pattern to clear. I swear that Arcus has a sustainer engine in it. Though we had some overcast, lift was around. Every flight was longer than a sled ride and broke 30 min on the very first one (happy face).

Great to see everyone again. Just good to relax, hangout, chat and fly. No pressures. Alas, despite my wife's urging to leave it home and just go fly, the camera was in the van and eventually found its way to my side. So, sorry to say (?), I spent Sunday morning tweaking up some of the shots. So here you go. Enjoy.

Looks like I can only attach 10 shots to a post so here is the Flickr link for the group of all the shots
                    Explore this photo album by Jeff Duhaime on Flickr!

Just some notes on a few of the photos. The power guys at the field had some very nice scale (semi scale) ships so I snagged some shots of them too.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	Salem-170902-1766.JPG Views:	1 Size:	384.9 KB ID:	19108Click image for larger version  Name:	Salem-170902-1776.JPG Views:	1 Size:	393.7 KB ID:	19109Click image for larger version  Name:	Salem-170902-1762.JPG Views:	1 Size:	331.0 KB ID:	19110Click image for larger version  Name:	Salem-170902-1784.JPG Views:	1 Size:	463.7 KB ID:	19111Click image for larger version  Name:	Salem-170902-1799.JPG Views:	1 Size:	492.5 KB ID:	19114

Dan was doing his part to spread the aerotowing movement overseas by introducing an exchange student to soaring and aerotowing.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	Salem-170902-1802.JPG Views:	1 Size:	86.1 KB ID:	19113Click image for larger version  Name:	Salem-170902-1806.JPG Views:	1 Size:	967.8 KB ID:	19116Click image for larger version  Name:	Salem-170902-1809.JPG Views:	1 Size:	96.1 KB ID:	19117

Now the one of Scott on his cell phone (back to camera) is also worth noting for a good (I thought) aircraft locating technique. Notice in the picture to his left is a white pole sticking out of the corn. The pole is attached to Dan with his phone. Scott had a line of sight on where the plane went into the corn from where he is standing. As Dan is walking through the corn, Scott is directing him (the pole) left or right to stay on the line to the plane.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	Salem-170902-1813.JPG Views:	1 Size:	650.4 KB ID:	19115

Later,
                    Jeff D

Comment

• Calling all toms, hens, poults and turkeylings! Stuff a tow loop in it and get thy self to Salem. It’s Turkey Tow 2017.

As with past years, we set our aim on Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving and keep watch of the weather forecast for a final decision.

This may be your last best chance to soar with the Meleagris gallopavo before winter sets in. Stay tuned to this space for late-breaking news and film at 11.

Comment

• Count this TomTurkey in!

The good news: Corn is finally coming down.
                        The bad news: Farmer has a huge 15-dumptruck load of chicked manure about 200’ from flying field. Not too bad UNLESS wind is coming from the SouthWest(then close pins or other remedies required)

Maybe? Farmer will remove the piles by TurkeyTow?

Comment

• Steve P
                          Steve P commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It’s worse when spread. Len and I “experienced” flying after that a few years ago. Eeesh.

• When is the Turkey Tow? Let's ask Joe...

Comment

• Happy Thanksgiving 🍁

I connected with Len and Friday is indeed the day. After a day of eating too much, come on out and work off that pie! Turkey Tow!

Comment

• Looking forward to the tow, Happy Turkey Day everyone.
                            Nodd - Chris Evans

Comment

• As with past years for this event, those that don't show up are the TURKEY's

Len Buffinton
                              Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Working...
                              X