Mickey Sullivan event?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mickey Sullivan event?

Any pictures from this event that is going on now?

Tim

Sorry no pics Tim....there are a few over on the other scale soaring message board and on the Clearview Field website https://rickhester.smugmug.com/Perso...rday/i-BB5Kthk

Several of the guys who attend this event used to come to my aerotow, Octowberfest here in St. Louis. back in the late 90's and early 00's, Mickey was one of them, so its like "old home week" for me!

The event was great! It was the coolest event I've been to all summer I'm not talking about cool as in neat, although it was neat, I mean cool as in temperature.....finaly I got to go to an event this year where I wasn't pouring sweat putting models together and later when taking them apart again

I arrived in the early evening on Thursday. It was too windy to fly that day except for some DLG's or so I was told. I camped at the field all three nights I was there. Ken Stits, Clearview Field....where the aerotow is held, is a wonderful facility. It has a "yuge" flying field with a big clubhouse that has an attached storage hanger. The clubhouse has a full kitchen and a large dinning area as well as a bathroom with shower. There is a second storage hangar across the road from the clubhouse. Three meals a day are served from the clubhouse, by Ken Stits wife and several helpers. It's another one of those events that if you camp, your vehicle never moves, the whole time you are there.

Thursday night it got down to 44 degrees....which got a bit cool in my unheated van. My sleeping bag is good, but boy was it cold when I needed to get out of the bag in the middle of the night. Friday Morning was downright cold, with a pretty good wind which made it even cooler. I have on all the clothes I brought, including my Scale Soaring hoodie with my down jacket over that. A few guys were flying, but it was so cold that I didn't want to even take my hands of my pocket. The skies were clear and the sun was strong so if you could stand out of the wind it was comfortable. When I warmed up a little I started putting together models and by noon it had warmed up enough for me to make a couple flights. By late afternoon the winds laid down and it ended being a great day for flying!

Friday night it got even colder...down to 41! But without the wind, that rocked my van back and forth the night before, it didn't feel as bad. Saturday morning broke with another cool sunny Morning but this time with light winds. We flew all day and only stopped to eat. Marc Browning did most of the towing with a DLE 120 powered H9 Pawnee. I flew out a couple tanks of gas with my Carbon Cub and Jim Frickie towed a bunch with a Pegasus. There were no problems with tow planes so the three of us kept the que to fly short. Lift was abundant so everyone got in plenty of flying time!

Saturday night was not near as cool in the van but Sunday Morning began with sprinkles, which meant I would get home before dark.

All in all, it was great event! I am looking forward to attending next years event!
    Pete

Last edited by Xroadie; 11-04-2016, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Hey Pete! Thanks for the wonderful report! This event is on my bucket list.

Tim

Comment

Working...
      X