California Bidules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Tim,

Like Scot says, running the gear without some sort of servo saver is certainly one option, however long term you will be replacing the servo unfortunately, regardless of the size. It's the old adage "been there- done that".
    One variable to think about when deciding on your setup is the type of terrain you will be flying from. On the East Coast we fly from grass strips, mountain meadows and converted corn fields- not the smoothest of landing fields. The gear takes a beating. Also, you're flying style. I'm a center-line of the runway type pilot, meaning I will always be landing with the rudder held over in an attempt to hold the center line as the plane lands.

Another interesting factor is the nose wheel steering arm. The stock metal steering arm supplied in the kit bent and broke on a few of the first Bidule models we first had. Bob Morrow made some new ones from thicker USA manufactured metal and we have never had an issue since. While doing that, we moved the pivot point to get more throw. Since aerotowing operates close to the pits and people, we wanted a lot of steering and to be able to turn the plane around on a dime. In reality I get some change back.. With a little brake pressure I can turn the plane in its length. lol. Of course this means a lot of nose wheel deflection, which means when the plane is landing and rudder is input, the wheel is cocked off to the side. You can see the wheel turned in just about every picture of my Bidule in the air. Early on people would tell me the nose wheel is flopping around when in fact its actually rudder input. ha ha.

Scot,
    The plane looks great.. thanks again for sharing the thread.

Tom...... Whoa...big crash.... Did you hear back from DA yet?

Brian, Was that an aftermarket Dubro Servo arm that stripped or one that came with the servo? We've had a bunch of problems wit the Dubro "glasss filled" servo arms stripping.. Thank for the info, good point to check out the arm regularly.

Len
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• Len

Philippe was using the stock Futaba servo arm on a Savox servo with metal gear. Which servo is stripping? Steering? rudder? I usually have two servos for the rudder and ground steering. May be I can find a way to turn off the steering servo so it is not use in the air. I do that on planes that has retractable gear. The retract gear switch also turn of the rudder mixng function to the steering servo.

Re the Bidule nose gear. Philippe said the nose wheel is trailing too much, so any bump will cause the wheel to turn. He suggested to reduce the moment to less than 1/2" or so.

Brian

Comment

• Thanks or the reply Brian,
        The gear system is excellent the way it is, as long as you use the servo saver system for longevity. I wouldn't do anything different after well over 160+ hrs of flight time.

Great info!!!

Len
        Len Buffinton
        Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• Darn, my transmitter only says 32 hrs..........

Nose wheel axle spacer simple mod .....added a brass tube over a 6mm id./10mm od. carbon tube. Tested yesterday at the Visalia November AeroTow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3843.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	13993 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3848.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	13994

Comment

• Scott, does that system clamp the nose gear side plates under the bolt head and at the nut end? The concern is vibration and wear wallowing out the bolt/axle hole.

Comment

• MarnochS
              MarnochS commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes it does, the bolt clamps everything together.
          Working...
          X