Tug canopy quick release?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tug canopy quick release?

I'm looking for a system to replace the allen screws that hold my Bidule 170 canopy on. A quarter turn system that can be opened without tools? I've been searching McMaster Carr and they have some options but with everything illustrated with no pictures, it's a little difficult to see if it would fit my application. If I need to get into my canopy for some reason, I would like to be able to do that much quicker and simpler.

Thanks in advance!

Tim

Maybe this can work for you. McMaster Carr knob latch cam #1702A39

Attached Files
    Gunny
    Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Magnets work pretty well.

And here are some 1/4 turn fasteners from ebay. https://www.ebay.com/bhp/1-4-turn-fasteners

Comment

Dzus fasteners are most commenly used on full size aircraft. The smallest ones moght still be a little big.

JEGS makes similar with butterfly handles so no tool required.
        Still a little big.
        Quarter-turn fasteners are commonly used on body work so it can be removed quickly. We offer a wide selection of quarter-turn fasteners and related parts to sui

This outfit may have what you're looking for..

Learn More View Our Fastener Kits Experience Skytanium® Find Out More Browse our Catalog Previous slide Next slide We pride ourselves on delivering unrivaled speed and efficiency in meeting your…

Comment

Thanks guys! Lot's of options to ponder. Size will be the limiter. The plate in which the current blind nut resides is not much bigger than a half inch wide.

Tim

Comment

Maybe one of these and a holster.

Attached Files

Comment

But seriously. Magnets do a heck of a job if you strike the balance between too much and not enough. It's easy to over do it with the neodymium magnets.

Comment

My first Bidule had small nylon thumb screws in place of the steel hex bolt and blind nut. The hole in the fuse side was widened and the tab on the canopy was threaded in the wood and then hardened with thin, hot CA. Worked like a charm, but I didn’t like the aesthetic. I’m doing the stock four bolt thing on my current version.
                Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

• Mosquito
                  Mosquito commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, I am the same way. The thumb screws can look like the bolts on Frankensteins neck!

• ARUP
                  ARUP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The Bride of Frankenstein didn't like them, either!

Put aluminum tubes in the fuselage oriented vertically. Install wood dowel pins in the canopy rails to fit the aluminum tubes. A latch pin on the front will be all you need to keep the canopy in place if the dowel pins are long.

Comment

Working...
                X