No announcement yet.

1/3-Scale Cessna 185 ~ by Gunny Bumburs at Aviation Concepts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some final details added after the model is covered. G-10 hinge cover plates and windows get glued on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2215.JPG
Views:	451
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	37764Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2214.JPG
Views:	402
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	37767

Name:	DSC_2216.JPG
Views:	397
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	37765

Name:	DSC_2217.JPG
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	37766

Name:	DSC_2219.JPG
Views:	409
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	37768
    Gunny
    Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

• The Balancing Act. I tested the CG between 25% to 27% and even further aft. This range of the C of G works out to be the best.
      In the kit is 2 CG balancing root rib tool made out of 1/8" thick birch ply. Slip these on and hook a couple of S hooks in the holes and make a bridal out of sturdy rope. I used my John Deere garage which has a winch and hoisted it up off the ground.
      I epoxied 1 pound of lead shot into the top and side pockets around the cooling baffles. Then I bolted or screwed weights on the sides of the engine box. Here I needed 2 1/2 pounds.

Name:	IMG_0473.JPG
Views:	416
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	37799

Name:	DSC_2310.JPG
Views:	403
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	37795

Name:	DSC_2326.JPG
Views:	408
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	37798

Name:	DSC_2321.JPG
Views:	410
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	37797

Name:	DSC_2318.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	37796
      Gunny
      Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

• Some people wanted to know about the lighting system I used on this bird...
        The lighting system is from uniLIGHT. They are of excellent quality and made in Vienna Austria.
        It's plug and play, but I always wind up custom making my own wire lengths.
        For battery power I just used one A123 2500 mAh NoBS battery pack.
        Included is a 4 channel controller that controls everything. Should be used on a 3 position switch; OFF - NAV & STROBES - LANDING LIGHTS. By changing end points on the TX will change the combinations of the strobes i.e single, double or triple flash rates, etc. and the rate of the beacon plus much more.

The main package that I started out with is the uniLIGHT PRO MEDIUM set (sku UNL-SETPRO-M2) $131.00

Unfortunately it comes with 1 landing light. So need to purchase an additional one. You'll need to order the set and see which one comes in your set, or have them open the box and verify what's in there and add a duplicate one.... It could be anyone of these:
        (SPOT 22-040-WE) which is a pure white and this is whats in my cowl. (SPOT 22-040-WWE) which is a warm white or (SPOT224) $15.00 TO $21.00

I did not use the red beacon that came in the set because it was too large in diameter for the top of the fin. Instead I purchased a 4W PURE LIGHT RED (sku UNL-PURE040R) $15.00 Again, the beacon function is controlled by the included 4 channel controller.

I added a pure white tail cone light which is spliced into the nav lights. Here I purchased a 4W PURE LIGHT WHITE (sku UNL-PURE040W) $15.00

To cap off the beacon and tail cone lights I purchased extra clear lighting covers. (sku UNL-CAPSPRO) $10.00

Everything here was purchased from DREAMWORKSRC (dreamworks model products LLC)

Name:	SET-PRO-M2_7.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	37807Click image for larger version

Name:	SPOT-040-9_7.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	37808

Name:	PURE-040-1_18.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	37804Click image for larger version

Name:	PURE-040-1_20.jpg
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	37805

Name:	CAPS-PRO-1_6.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	37806Click image for larger version

Name:	CAPS-PRO-3_6.jpg
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	37803

Gunny
        Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

• Some pictures of the lighting installed. They are all epoxied into place. Landing lights, wing tip nav & strobe lights, white tail cone light and top of fin red beacon. On the top of the fin I mixed up epoxy resin and micro balloons and molded it around the heat sink and blended it to the fin.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_2349.JPG Views:	1 Size:	133.8 KB ID:	37943

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_2352.JPG Views:	1 Size:	87.5 KB ID:	37941

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_2368.JPG Views:	1 Size:	64.5 KB ID:	37940

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_2370.JPG Views:	1 Size:	44.4 KB ID:	37942
          Last edited by gunny11; 08-18-2019, 09:25 PM.
          Gunny
          Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

• gunny11
            gunny11 commented
            Editing a comment
            Forgot to add that the clear lens caps are glued on with canopy glue.

• What a beautifully engineered kit! And your building skills are enviable! It's excellent work like this that seduces me into thinking I've built enough kits over the years to be able to scratch build, only to find out later, I'm not as skilled as I believed I was. Thank you Gunny for producing such wonderful products!
          [B]"I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"[/B] -- [B][I]Geoff Painter[/I][/B]

Comment

• gunny11
            gunny11 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you so much for the kind words. I strive for quality, not quantity... I try to do my best in everything that I make. I love to think and tinker and think outside the box.

• Tango Juliet
            Tango Juliet commented
            Editing a comment
            Was there ever video of it flying? I saw mention of a video, but never saw it posted.

• gunny11
            gunny11 commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry, no video yet.

• we are back.. and the video is done.

Cessna 185 SkywagonTo see more about this planePlease Visitaviationconceptsrc.com
          Gunny
          Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

• So after having no luck with aftermarket landing gear manufactures aluminum or carbon fiber... I decided to purchase my own hydraulic press and design my own dies and ram to bend the main gear. I have a local source to do the water jet cutting. Very neat and extremely accurate. Thanks to my great friend Roy at Vailly Aviation for supplying the die design handbook. It worked out on the first try. With some simple positioning jigs everything is a breeze now. The gear is 5/16" thick 6061 T6 aluminum with the grain going in the right direction.

Name:	129.JPG
Views:	417
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	38615

Name:	110.JPG
Views:	405
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	38617

Name:	111.JPG
Views:	415
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	38618

Name:	112.JPG
Views:	395
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	38619

Name:	113.JPG
Views:	397
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	38616
            Gunny
            Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

• Very impressive Gunny
              Steve K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

• So let me get this right, you have two right blocks one on the left and one one the right....... Right?
                Len Buffinton
                Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• Sinkhappens86
                  Sinkhappens86 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  One says RT (Right), the other says R+, which is better than right. Do two rights make a wrong?

• LOL! Now your just messin' with me...

Your both wrong. RT and Rt. But I can make a right outta' a Left gear blank.
                Gunny
                Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

• some specs,,,

Name:	103.JPG
Views:	446
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	38640
                  Gunny
                  Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

• Started on the web page for this big bird. For me its slow going but working on it.
                    Gunny
                    Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

• Just an awesome airplane Gunny! Love the video too!
                      [B]"I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"[/B] -- [B][I]Geoff Painter[/I][/B]

Comment

• Thanks Tango Juliet.

Was testing my work today on drooped wingtips vortex retarder style. This would be an aftermarket kit done just like the original wingtip in the kit. It can be done... I even amazed myself. It was harder to draw the 3/8" thick balsa rib sections (not the 3 tip cross sections) but wasn't that much difficult to shape the concave sections.

Click image for larger version  Name:	12-19 005.JPG Views:	0 Size:	93.6 KB ID:	38725

Click image for larger version  Name:	12-19 006.JPG Views:	0 Size:	100.5 KB ID:	38724

Click image for larger version  Name:	12-19 009.JPG Views:	0 Size:	67.0 KB ID:	38727

Click image for larger version  Name:	12-19 010.JPG Views:	0 Size:	60.2 KB ID:	38726

Click image for larger version  Name:	12-19 011.JPG Views:	0 Size:	47.1 KB ID:	38728

Click image for larger version  Name:	12-19 012.JPG Views:	0 Size:	53.1 KB ID:	38723
                        Last edited by gunny11; 12-03-2019, 04:08 AM.
                        Gunny
                        Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

• Aw yeah, time to live that STOL life! They look awesome Gunny.
                          Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Working...
                          X