No announcement yet.

California Smelly...yak 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scot! I just noticed this. I drew up some plans for the "T" model last year and was going to do the same mod. Very cool! Let me know if you want my scale drawings of the Z37T.

Here's a drawing I modified back in July.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Z37T_28percentB.jpg Views:	1 Size:	32.4 KB ID:	33038
    Last edited by BryanB; 01-16-2019, 02:09 AM.

Comment

• ARUP
      ARUP commented
      Editing a comment
      That thing is wicked!

• yyz
      yyz commented
      Editing a comment
      Super cool, Byran! There's a lot going on with that wing.

Hi Bryan,
    I don't know about Peter but I'd like a look at them. I am interested in the winglets and what angle they're at ( I assume 0 incidence to the forward movement) I was thinking of going with the PSU 94-097 since it's for low speed aircraft.......and I can take the image to a copy machine and make different size templates. I was going to forgo the forward elevated section since the wingtip airfoil is so thick....

Click image for larger version

Name:	PSU 94-097.JPG
Views:	621
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	33045

Playing with the engine and cowl.....

Name:	IMG_4786.JPG
Views:	592
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	33047Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4791.JPG
Views:	582
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	33046Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4789.JPG
Views:	605
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	33048

Comment

Sorry Scot. Got the wrong name...

I did some high res drawings to different scales in Photoshop. They are PSD files. I can send them to you if you'd like or collapse them into jpegs. They are just redrawn 3-views to scale.
      Last edited by BryanB; 01-16-2019, 02:30 AM.

Comment

Name:	Bokorys_Z-37T_OK-088_1985.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	33055Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0012.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	33056

Comment

• Dave Smith
          Dave Smith commented
          Editing a comment
          Laddie Mikulasko! Laddie cranked out a lot of designs, many featured in Model Airplane News and Flying Models. His favorite domain was flying boats. Search him on Youtube and you'll see some good stuff he developed.

Here's a couple drawings I scavenged off the net. In all my research I was amazed at how little really good info there is for this aircraft.

Name:	zlin157_3v2.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	33058

Comment

Military version..
          Click image for larger version  Name:	ERP6c1a29_31_Z_37TM.jpg Views:	1 Size:	135.6 KB ID:	33060

Comment

These are all the best links I could find for this aircraft.

Přesně před padesáti lety, 29. 6. 1963 se do vzduchu vznesl první československý specializovaný práškovací letoun Čmelák. Služba na něm byla velmi náročná. Létalo se pár metrů nad zemí a v sezoně prakticky nonstop. Práce s jedovatými chemikáliemi také nebyla žádný med.

Kunovičtí muzejníci zachránili unikátní letoun na maďarském vrakovišti. Po vydařené rekonstrukci ho v sobotu 24. června 2017 slavnostně představí veřejnosti.

Comment

Thanks Bryan,
              We both found what little there was....thanks again
              I was investigating what I was getting myself into so I did an overlay of the 37a & 37/137t . The tail section is a bit longer on the 137t
              Since mine is a "field upgrade" .....my nose is shorter so things don't get too out of proportion.......at least that's what I talked myself into.....
              The extended range tanks are pretty cool looking, I found one that had four tanks ( two in the center ). I don't know if I could tow for 4 hours straight...........

Name:	full overlay.jpg
Views:	628
ID:	33065
              Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, it was an eye burning adventure doing every variation of search to come up with what little we've found. Short of contacting Zlin and seeing if they'd share some blueprints or visiting an example and taking our own measurements I think we've found what there is.

Great job by the way. Really looking forward to seeing this baby!

Comment

Scott- ya gotta put those slats or fixed slots on the LEs of your wing!

Comment

If you built a new wing I could see using the slats but with the thick airfoil of Peters kit it would be hard to make look right as thick as the outboard section already are. Slots would be doable but wouldn't have the same look.

Comment

• ARUP
                      ARUP commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It would look cool plus most folks wouldn't know the difference! If they do... then I tell them to build one for me if it bothers them so!!! lol

• BryanB
                      BryanB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What would be the cats meow is for Peter to take a break from sailplane design and redraw his Czmelak into a more scale turbo version! Smelly yak III anyone! I'd buy another one!

Hi Mike,
                    In talking with John Ellias about his AirWorld Z-37 Cmelak, he prefers to fly it without the wing slats installed. Says it feels/fly's kinda strange with them on. I would guess the drag they induce on the model vs. the air flow re-direction is a minus. Sticking with the Winglets though...

Cowl ring installation

Name:	IMG_4793.JPG
Views:	598
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	33111Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4794.JPG
Views:	563
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	33113Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4795.JPG
Views:	581
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	33112

Found my old MR Aerodesign build thread for a reference -
                    Post 5313957 - RC Universe discussion forums for RC cars, rc trucks, rc airplanes, rc helis, rc boats, rc jets, rc electric helis, rc electric planes and more

Comment

• ARUP
                      ARUP commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Aren't things supposed to feel/fly kinda funny in Kali-four-knee-ay? lol

Originally posted by MarnochS View Post
                    Thanks Bryan,
                    We both found what little there was....thanks again
                    I was investigating what I was getting myself into so I did an overlay of the 37a & 37/137t . The tail section is a bit longer on the 137t
                    Since mine is a "field upgrade" .....my nose is shorter so things don't get too out of proportion.......at least that's what I talked myself into.....
                    The extended range tanks are pretty cool looking, I found one that had four tanks ( two in the center ). I don't know if I could tow for 4 hours straight...........

Name:	full overlay.jpg
Views:	628
ID:	33065
                    You could add the dorsal fin to make it more scale and help with the shorter tail.
                    Rick Shelby
                    Team Horizon

Comment

Thanks Rick,
                      I was having some problems with my California State Math skills measuring the Z137t graphic on my computer screen and up-scaling....so I made two dorsal fins.......I'm thinking the smaller one "looks" better.

Name:	IMG_4628.JPG
Views:	548
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	33122Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4626.JPG
Views:	562
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	33123

Comment

I think the words "looks better" and "Smellyak" don't really go together in the same sentence... but really it isn't about looks, it is about what the aerodynamics dictate for the amount of vertical fin area in the tail is necessary to compensate for the amount of vertical surface area added in the front by the longer nose. So the full scale design did it by lengthening the fuse and adding the dorsal fin. The nose had to be lengthened for balance since the turbo prop engine is so much lighter than the big fat radial. It will be interesting to see if the model ever knows the difference between the two designs. Really cool mods, Scott!! Really enjoy watching the process. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Working...
                        X