California Smelly...yak 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Smelly...yak 2

My Rendition of the Smellyak 2 ....with the wing mounted gear......It started out simply, with a minor deviation ...installing canister mufflers in the fuselage.

After I got my MTW 120K (short) canisters from Desert Aircraft, I rolled out the Plans and started the process of "what goes where"......
    Running straight headers resulted in about a 4 inch length.......not the greatest thing but I could live with it.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	Trubo Engine Redesign 3.JPG Views:	2 Size:	75.5 KB ID:	32518

Then I happened along on the Newer Z-137T Agro Turbo ......and a few of them had Shark Mouth graphics on the Intake scoop..and Winglets........Lite Bulb......Out came the pencil and ruler....
    Looking at comparable 3-view diagrams, It looks like I would just need to extend the nose the length of the Radial cowl.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Turbo vs Radial 3.JPG Views:	1 Size:	137.2 KB ID:	32522Click image for larger version  Name:	Turbo Engine Redesign 2.JPG Views:	2 Size:	73.6 KB ID:	32520Click image for larger version  Name:	Turbo Engine redesign.JPG Views:	3 Size:	67.3 KB ID:	32521
    Lots of header length now.....and cool Winglets.

Also added a Robart trailing link "tail wheel" with an offset so the shaft will be vertical when on the ground.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4623.JPG Views:	1 Size:	61.0 KB ID:	32523

The appropriate material removal was made and a new forward section was added after some angle checking
    I moved the engine datum line up from the 140mm on the radial to 155mm. Using a 1/2" rod as the jig to try and keep things straight.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4630.JPG Views:	1 Size:	116.2 KB ID:	32524Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4632.JPG Views:	1 Size:	115.5 KB ID:	32525

Some reinforcing and then the task of figuring out the firewall upper deck curvature .....sand ...check ....sand ....check....sand....oops...add some material.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4635.JPG Views:	1 Size:	72.5 KB ID:	32526Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4642.JPG Views:	2 Size:	142.1 KB ID:	32527
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MarnochS; 01-05-2019, 01:26 AM. Reason: spelling

Got one side done and transferred to the other, things are looking relatively straight so the big step of going to the firewall.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4642.JPG
Views:	1118
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	32530Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4643.JPG
Views:	1074
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	32533Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4644.JPG
Views:	1161
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	32531

Name:	IMG_4647.JPG
Views:	1069
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	32534
    Then the process starts again with the firewall.

Name:	IMG_4651.JPG
Views:	1128
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	32536Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4656.JPG
Views:	1065
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	32535Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4657.JPG
Views:	1069
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	32537
    Attached Files

Comment

That’s badass! You come across 2 type of modelers......the first agonize over the instructions checking thing off as they build.....and then there’s the group who glance at the instructions and set them aside and just dig in! Glad to see you’re in the latter group with us “radicals”! 🤪
      TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

Sheeting the forward section was made a little easier by wetting the 1/8" balsa and then strapping it to a 1 gallon paint can to dry.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4658.JPG Views:	1 Size:	99.7 KB ID:	32543Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4659.JPG Views:	1 Size:	79.9 KB ID:	32541
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4661.JPG Views:	1 Size:	73.6 KB ID:	32544Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4662.JPG Views:	1 Size:	92.0 KB ID:	32542

Then it was on to " Fun With Foam" ....a hot wire and ....quality time with a drywall sander.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4670.JPG Views:	1 Size:	112.5 KB ID:	32545Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4675.JPG Views:	1 Size:	109.2 KB ID:	32546
        Found that Paint Mask from Oracal has some pretty good anti-sand paper properties so I'm using it to protect the wood parts of the Fuselage.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4681.JPG Views:	1 Size:	99.8 KB ID:	32548Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4677.JPG Views:	1 Size:	117.0 KB ID:	32547

Last edited by MarnochS; 01-07-2019, 03:51 PM.

Comment

A jig for the bottom cut and then some more time with the sandpaper.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4691.JPG Views:	1 Size:	92.9 KB ID:	32551 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4695.JPG Views:	2 Size:	93.6 KB ID:	32554
          Last edited by MarnochS; 01-03-2019, 03:35 AM.

Comment

Awsome Scot! Great pictures showing your progress. "Let modelers be modelers" I'll be following with interest...
            Gunny
            Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Looking forward to seeing this soon. Some look and say why, Scott looks and says why not.

Comment

Thanks Guys,......I'm having a lot of fun building the PGD Smellyak 2...
                Checking on the engine configuration
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4697.JPG Views:	1 Size:	95.7 KB ID:	32575Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4702.JPG Views:	1 Size:	85.8 KB ID:	32574

Some rough cowl shaping and , of course, the obligatory .....hanger flying......

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4703.JPG Views:	1 Size:	91.6 KB ID:	32576
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4712.JPG Views:	1 Size:	107.0 KB ID:	32577Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4713.JPG Views:	1 Size:	102.8 KB ID:	32578

The Semi - kinda - scale goal. Artistic license with the addition of the American Volunteer Group Tiger and Hell's Angel....

Click image for larger version  Name:	color scheme.jpg Views:	1 Size:	92.9 KB ID:	32579

Kinda looks like my Mejzlik 28.5 x 12s propeller is a little bit bigger than scale size.....

Comment

Wow thats looking bad ass!
                  Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

• yyz
                    yyz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Second that! The red angel and the flying tiger graphics are an absolute must. Amazing work as always, Scott. You're my hero!

you never fail to amaze me Scott...awesome....
                  kevin

Comment

Blown away Scot,
                    I looked at the turbo version a while back because the wingtips really caught my eye, never really thinking about a total front end rebuild. You went for it and I'm so impressed with the process. Thanks again for taking the time to post the photos and caption the progress.
                    Its true pictures say a thousand words. A bunch of photos with a short explanation results in a very interesting thread.
                    Waiting for more!!

Len Buffinton
                    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by lenb View Post
                      Blown away Scot,
                      I looked at the turbo version a while back because the wingtips really caught my eye, never really thinking about a total front end rebuild. You went for it and I'm so impressed with the process. Thanks again for taking the time to post the photos and caption the progress.
                      Its true pictures say a thousand words. A bunch of photos with a short explanation results in a very interesting thread.
                      Waiting for more!!

I second all of it!!!
                      Stéphane
                      Horizon Hobby Team Member

Comment

Thanks again Guys for coming along on the journey........

Lower Cowl got some attention, after adding some "sanding material" the bottom was glued on so it could be sanded away.
                        It really helped thin down the look.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4714.JPG Views:	1 Size:	104.8 KB ID:	32594Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4715.JPG Views:	1 Size:	85.6 KB ID:	32593Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4716.JPG Views:	1 Size:	98.3 KB ID:	32592

Of course the completely non productive "I wonder what it would look like" time took over .....and....

P40b Tomahawk ......or P40d Kittyhawk.......

Click image for larger version  Name:	Nose art P40b.jpg Views:	1 Size:	112.2 KB ID:	32595Click image for larger version  Name:	nose art 3.jpg Views:	2 Size:	111.6 KB ID:	32597

now I need to spend some time shaping the upper part of the intake scoop.........
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by MarnochS; 12-30-2018, 05:33 PM. Reason: incorrect P40 variant

Comment

• French1
                          French1 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Tomahawk has my preference

Scott,
                        What about the Pawnee, you know the special one.
                        Dean

Comment

• MarnochS
                          MarnochS commented
                          Editing a comment
                          If my old Golden Retriever could make a comment..........Squirrel..........

or

I ran out of gas!
                          I got a flat tire!
                          I didn’t have change for cab fare!
                          I lost my tux at the cleaners!
                          I locked my keys in the car!
                          An old friend came in from out of town!
                          Someone stole my car!
                          There was an earthquake!
                          A terrible flood!
                          Locusts!

And what about the 2-33, lol