No announcement yet.

Hangar 9 33% Pawnee under carraige springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for that, I got both the struts out but the McMaster springs are considerably longer, I cannot install them. Do I have to shorten them?

Comment

• MarnochS
      MarnochS commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, you have to cut them a little longer and then grind that end flat. If it's too long, then just keep grinding the end flat until it's the right length. You want just a little bit of tension on the spring so it doesn't rattle around inside.

Later: I got the McM springs in but the L/G is mighty stiff

Comment

Maybe too stiff, I bent the bottom bolt on the L/G strut. Anyone know where I can get a replacement?

Comment

They're 8-32 bolts so probably your local hardware store or bolt supply house.
        I installed 2 inch bolts so the shoulder extends all the way through the pivoting surface. Then cut off the excess threads.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4892.JPG Views:	1 Size:	104.4 KB ID:	34769
        Last edited by MarnochS; 03-12-2019, 01:27 PM.

Comment

The screw that is bent is the one that comes out of the cylinder

Comment

Horizon Hobby still shows replacement Pawnee landing gear including the shocks for under $50.00 suggest you get a couple sets for parts...
            kevin

Comment

Just ordered some, not sure the shocks will be included, they are not in the picture

Comment

Got the replacement landing gear and the shocks are included.Unfortunately the thread on the end of the piston is slightly different to the original and the shock end (clevis) does not fit. I cannot identify the new thread so cannot tap a new thread. AAArggg

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	35797 The new threaded rods I have here from HOrizon Hobby are 5 mm metric. I never received the original Pawnee Clevis, but rather ordered Metric ones from McMaster Carr as shown in this photo....Not sure if that will help your situation, but the McMaster Carr Clevis fits both the rod and the landing gear hole.
                  kevin

Comment

You can always hold a tap against the thread to see if they match. The spare set I have are 6mm x 1.00 pitch .

Or, you could measure the shaft diameter and then reference what thread pitch's are available for that diameter.
                    My metric tap and die set only has one pitch ( 1.00 ) for 6mm shaft.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4949.JPG Views:	1 Size:	96.4 KB ID:	35804Click image for larger version  Name:	Landing gear tap.JPG Views:	1 Size:	76.7 KB ID:	35806

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4951.JPG Views:	1 Size:	92.5 KB ID:	35805

Comment

Eureka! You are right, 6mm it is. Can't believe I didn't spot this before. If the clevises fail due to the extra tappings I will try the McMasters Carr Clevis.Many thanks to you both.

Comment

Working...
                      X