Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Len's Czmelak "Smellyak" build

Len's Czmelak "Smellyak" build

Pete Goldsmith designed this airplane primarily as a tow plane for aerotowing of both large and small scale sailplanes. The prototype is powered with a DA 150 on standard mufflers. The prototype was constructed in about 6 weeks, from drawing to test flight and since then, the Czmelak, which we all affectionally call the "Smellyak", has performed flawlessly

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1220
Size:	637.5 KB
ID:	21066

My Smellyak build

This build started back in the middle of the summer, this large cardboard box contains all the wood, gear and cowl to build the plane.

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1139
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	21067 ​

Start by gathering all the part for that particular task. Here the rudder template, ribs ( for both sides), the tailpost and caps are all ready to go.
    ​ Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	1154
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	21062
    Fin posts are thick balsa, well designed to help eliminate excess weight

​

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	1189
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	21063

Peter designed the control surfaces to be build over a pre-cut 1/64 ply template. You frame over each side of the template and the result is a strong stiff control surface or in this case the vertical fin

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	1175
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	21060

In this photo you can see how the 1/2 ribs are glued right to the ply template.

​

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	1182
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	21068

Flip it over and do the same on the other side

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	1180
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	21061 ​

Here we are installing sheer webs to help support the vertical fin spar

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	1164
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	21065

Sub LE and TE are installed

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	1189
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	21064
    Last edited by lenb; 11-29-2017, 12:27 PM.
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

How do you like the "Speed Bond"? I haven't used any of the fast drying alphatic glues, yet.... Waiting for a CA allergy to develop apparently.

Comment

• JimD
      JimD commented
      Editing a comment
      Len bought two lifetime supplies of Speed Bond adhesive, so he sold some of his stock to me. Having used it now for a substantial amount of structural work, I can say that I am impressed...probably going to be a fanboy!

Looks good now that we can see all the photos Len! Looking forward to Steve K starting his!
    Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Like the Ply skin method. Hope the 1-26 will be like this.

Comment

Im sure it will, the Swallow is the same way,
        Len Buffinton
        Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

I cleaned up the thread a bit, thanks for the help with the photos guys.

Onto the Stab and Elevator.

Non of the building I have done is over the plans, its all done with using the pre-cut parts and making the spar straight on a piece of sheetrock or just the table.

The Stab is assembled over the lower spar. Use the sheer webs for rib spacing and make up the center section using all the ply ribs Peter has in the kit.
          Pay attention to the sheer webs, keep the pieces held tight to the ribs and the ribs 90 degrees to the table. Its pretty simple construction.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20.jpg Views:	1 Size:	53.2 KB ID:	21186

Click image for larger version  Name:	18.jpg Views:	1 Size:	66.0 KB ID:	21187

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	66.3 KB ID:	21188

Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	58.6 KB ID:	21189

Click image for larger versionName:	3.jpgViews:	1Size:	75.3 KBID:	21190

Last edited by lenb; 12-03-2017, 09:13 PM.
          Len Buffinton
          Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

The elevators were built on a pre-etched skin also, again-very clever.

Nothing magical here, pretty straight forward. You'll need to sand the LE off the angled ribs to get everything to fit perfectly.

Views:	809
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	21193

Glue on the LE sub spar, use a straight edge to make it perfectly straight from the start.

Views:	850
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	21192

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	836
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	21194

They appeared a bit long, no big deal, I'll sand them down before adding the top sheeting. It's balsa, sand and trim until its the way you want it.

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	21195

Views:	833
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	21196

Here are the parts roughly sanded. I'll put these aside now and start the wing. Final sanding will be done at the end.

Len Buffinton
            Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Noyce! Fast building, too!

Comment

Thanks Mike,
                This build started a while ago, I'm just now getting to post the progress.

The wing center sections are next.

Again, I did not build any parts over the plans, just using the pre-cut parts as the guide.

The center starts with gluing up the joiners. Take time fitting and testing the parts together as there is always a logical reason and process for the way it's designed.
                When in doubt, walk away and come back later for a fresh look.

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	21216

Views:	828
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	21221

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	21215

Views:	835
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	21218

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	835
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	21213Click image for larger version

Views:	828
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	21220

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	819
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	21225

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	839
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	21217

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	832
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	21223

Attached Files
                Len Buffinton
                Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Thanks Len for posting these pictures as they are timely as I am at this point now...there are no side views on the plans so I was very confused as to where the spruce spars went and where to cut them, but now with your photos I get what needs to happen next...
                  kevin

Comment

Len, what's the status of your build? Your followers need a fix!

Comment

Hi Tim.

My computer had to go in for a new screen, luckily apple's warrantee covered it, but I didn't have my photos for a while.
                      The plane is much further along than this thread indicates, but I'll post photos in sequence.

The main wing panels were next
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	28.0 KB ID:	21622
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	106.3 KB ID:	21621
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	102.0 KB ID:	21623

Click image for larger version  Name:	12.jpg Views:	1 Size:	74.6 KB ID:	21629
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	13.jpg Views:	1 Size:	77.4 KB ID:	21630
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	16.jpg Views:	1 Size:	67.4 KB ID:	21632

Click image for larger version  Name:	14.jpg Views:	1 Size:	56.5 KB ID:	21624
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	22.jpg Views:	1 Size:	63.3 KB ID:	21625
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	21.jpg Views:	1 Size:	53.5 KB ID:	21626
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	49.5 KB ID:	21631
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	17.jpg Views:	1 Size:	76.7 KB ID:	21634
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	23.jpg Views:	1 Size:	92.3 KB ID:	21633

Name:	image_7888.jpg
Views:	809
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	21628

Attached Files
                      Len Buffinton
                      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• ARUP
                        ARUP commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I see two pilots guys in the background, waiting!

Len, your pictures are timely as I am about to start work on the outer wing panels and your photos are worth ten thousand words...I can finally "see" what I could not see before...
                      I frequently feel over my head on my build but am glad you are there to rescue me when I am almost out of air...
                      kevin

Comment

Random Photos of Peters Prototype​​​​​​​

Name:	image_7922.jpg
Views:	1046
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	21728

Click image for larger version  Name:	1 - 5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	63.7 KB ID:	21716Click image for larger version  Name:	1 - 6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	63.1 KB ID:	21717Click image for larger version  Name:	1 - 10.jpg Views:	1 Size:	57.9 KB ID:	21718Click image for larger version  Name:	1 - 13.jpg Views:	1 Size:	108.2 KB ID:	21719Click image for larger version  Name:	1 - 11.jpg Views:	1 Size:	113.3 KB ID:	21720Click image for larger version  Name:	1 - 4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	108.7 KB ID:	21721Click image for larger version  Name:	1 - 7.jpg Views:	1 Size:	120.8 KB ID:	21722Click image for larger version  Name:	1 - 9.jpg Views:	1 Size:	105.9 KB ID:	21723Click image for larger version  Name:	1 - 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.1 KB ID:	21724Click image for larger version  Name:	1 - 3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	89.9 KB ID:	21725Click image for larger version  Name:	1 - 1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	109.8 KB ID:	21726Click image for larger version  Name:	1 - 8.jpg Views:	1 Size:	146.5 KB ID:	21727
                        Len Buffinton
                        Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

At this point I have set the wings and tail aside, I still need to build the ailerons and finish the flaps, but since Kevin is moving along on his build and time may become and issue for me shortly, I wanted to build the fuse and get the photos posted.

The fuse is built by starting with the cabin area. Lay out the side pieces and start fitting the parts.

Advice:
                          Take your time and pull out all the fuse formers and parts you can identify. Lay out the side panels and dry fit everything. Once you've marked locations with a pencil and your sure of the location and fit, then start cementing thing in place.

I started with the rear anti-rotation double. Since all the pieces seemed to be based on that doubler, I started there and worked forward.

You will be framing the edges with spruce, so once you're happy with the location of the anti-rotation double, fit the spruce around the perimeter and glue all those pieces in.

Name:	1 - 14.jpg
Views:	800
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	21733

Name:	1 - 15.jpg
Views:	778
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	21734

Thinking ahead.

You will be joining together the main spruce spar that runs all the way to the tail, instead of fighting with it now sticking out there and waiting to get broken, I went ahead and made the scarf joint cut now on the pieces that will join, numbered them and set the two rear strips aside until later. The BOTTOM stringer will be joined later and can be just left a little long at this point.

Name:	1 - 16.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	21735

Name:	1 - 17.jpg
Views:	754
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	21736

Len Buffinton
                          Team Horizon Hobby