Czmelak building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kevin,

Keep plugging away buddy! Your pink foam supports, yellow tape and red tipped "grip pins" at least make your pictures colorful! Before you know it, you will be installing radio gear and covering it.

Just think how quick the second kit will go together? And then it's time to start your 1-26.

Tim

Comment

Ha...yea the second kit might just happen if I don't improve my building outcomes !!! but actually, I think this might just be okay after all...
      kevin

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0028.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	22248 YEA...we have a wing that looks straight !!!!
        Now onto building Ailerons to fit this wing correctly...I might have to fiddle a bit here and there but to my eye it is now STRAIGHT or FLAT as Pete would say...
        Onward to more Fuse work with fuel tank floor, various plywood here and there before starting the rear section of the fuse...
        I may well go ahead and finish the Left wing next though...will see what tomorrow brings !!!
        Thanks for all the support guys...
        kevin

Comment

• ARUP
          ARUP commented
          Editing a comment
          Isn't that awesome? What a nice tow plane you'll have there mister!

Kev! it was great to see this one in person last week! Keep up the good work!

Comment

Name:	IMG_0046.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	22538Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0047.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	22539Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0048.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	22540Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0049.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	22541Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0050.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	22542

​

​

​

​ I discovered a small hiccup on the fuse build and Pete confirmed he put the throttle servo hatch in the wrong place.
          I did a couple of pieces of 1/8" lite ply till I got it right. I traced the outline for the hatch approximately 1 inch further to the right and one inch further forward...I drilled a starter hole and used scroll saw to rough cut the outline and then carefully sanded till the hatch fit fairly well. the most difficult part was the radius corners. I found that a BIC pen with self adhesive sand paper worked well in the corners to give the right curved corners... for those of you who will build this kit in the future, you might want to make note of this as the plywood triangles Aft of the firewall (F1) will go right over the opening on the forward floor 1 wood Pete provided in the kit. No biggie...part of building a tiny run of unique airplane kits by anyone...
          Last edited by kjkavaney; 01-23-2018, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Kevin, these may not be in sequence, sorry I am out of town for a while and dont have a lot of spare time to write this out but here are the photos of what I did on mine.

Name:	IMG_7443.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	22445Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7444.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	22446Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7440.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	22447Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7445.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	22448Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7442.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	22449Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7441.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	22450Click image for larger version

Views:	180
ID:	22454Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7446.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	22451Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7449.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	22452Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7448.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	22453Click image for larger version

Views:	167
ID:	22455
            Len Buffinton
            Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Name:	IMG_7451.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	22457Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7449.JPG
Views:	145
ID:	22458Click image for larger version

Views:	148
ID:	22464Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7453.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	22459Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7450.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	22460Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7452.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	22461Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7455.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	22462Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7454.JPG
Views:	138
ID:	22463Click image for larger version

Views:	141
ID:	22465

I cab unbolt the servo and get it up through the hole if I need to work on it.
              Of course its a little more work than I wanted, but Im fine with it.

Hope this helps
              Len Buffinton
              Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Kevin she is starting to look like a tow plane! Great job buddy. I can't wait to see this beauty fly.
                Tim

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0057.JPG Views:	1 Size:	65.0 KB ID:	22500
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0058.JPG Views:	1 Size:	70.4 KB ID:	22501
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0059.JPG Views:	1 Size:	64.4 KB ID:	22502
                  working on fuse...lots of mistakes so had to remake a few side panels to fit...some of you know that I have had three tow line arrests...two minor and one that took my 108% Pegasus down when snagging a power line from 40 feet down to zero...huge carnage...so the Czmelak is getting an Auto Winder tow line retriever. Larry Fitch, a internet friend out west, scored me a Steve Richman Auto Winder from someone out West and it is going into the Czmelak...no traditional tow line release put in.....slowly getting this together...
                  kevin
                  Last edited by kjkavaney; 01-22-2018, 01:45 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• ARUP
                    ARUP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Does the tow line have a special 'pass-though' for the fuse? That Auto Winder will be the cat's meow!

• kjkavaney
                    kjkavaney commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not really a pass through, the tow line will exit the same hole as the standard set up, but will have a aluminum ring that stops the line from being totally rewound into the fuse. the tow line at the end has a small rubber ball to bring the line to a stop during the rewind. once on the ground, ground handler can grab the ball and pull the line back out. a bit of a hassle but nothing like destroying a tow plane.

Kevin, post #65, all your pictures have disappeared. Not sure how that happened.

Comment

Me neither, unless only I could see them when I posted the pictures on Jan 19th...does anyone remember seeing them ??...If not I can try to edit the photos back in as I took photos of how I re- made the Floor board # 1 to allow throttle servo hatch to be moved over to clear the fire wall triangle supports.. anyone else building this kit in the future will have to remake the floorboard or do what Len posted about above.

Comment

• JimD
                      JimD commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Kevin, the pictures were never visible for me in that post (#66)...all of the ones before and after gave been good, no problems.

Thanks JimD. I re loaded the pictures...weird because I could see them when I loaded them and even the next day...Oh well...computers are confusing to me.
                    hopefully this will help any one who builds this kit because I sat and looked at things for the longest time thinking I just had the wrong parts in my hands...

Comment

Name:	IMG_0062.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	22557Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0063.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	22558 Ya can never have too many clamps...
                      both sides are now all glued in place...just need to sand and trim and do the very top and the deck on the front...the rear part of the fuse is what I am bracing myself for...
                      Len has posted enough pictures for me to get the idea of how careful I need to be on that part of the build. That and I need to get going on the second wing but hopefully I will have better luck on that wing than the first !!!

Comment

Awesome Kevin! If you need more clamps, I can can send some your way.

Comment

I'll be taking a break from building as I have developed bronchitis and even with great dust collecting machines, the saw dust is really kicking my lungs into uproar...
                          Time to work on things that don't make dust !!

Comment

• Tango Juliet
                            Tango Juliet commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yup, gotta take care of yourself. Don't worry, we'll all wait for your return.

• ARUP
                            ARUP commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Get busy you slacker! Dust is good for you!

• Mosquito
                            Mosquito commented
                            Editing a comment
                            You hypochondriac! Get going Kevin and quit with the excuses!
                        Working...
                        X