• Show
Clear All

• A new 170 Bidule hit the skies today

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bidule2.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	17857

Today I finally maidened my Bidule 170. It's running a DLE 170 with MTW cans. I was able to fly it just a few yards from where it was built. My dog knew right were to lay to get out of the sun! It took me longer to build than it should have but (here come the excuses) I live on a large farm and have horses to take care of, dogs, cats, chickens and crops to plant and maintain! As well as a full time job working nights!

I could not have done this without the fantastic build threads created by Len, Jim, Scott, Bob and Stephane. I don't believe I ever even looked at the instructions! You guys are fantastic. Also,Kevin Kavaney kept after me when I was falling behind on the build and losing steam! Kevin also did almost all of the metal fabrication with the servo saver and upgrading the front nose gear. The rest was all on me to complete.

We hung it from the rafters of my barn to get the CG correct. Even with building everything as far back as possible, it needed about one duck weight of lead in the tail.

We fired her up today on my private strip and we were amazed at how well the brand new DLE 170 ran and just how quiet it was. After a couple of ground runs, it was go time. Very little trim was needed. It flies exceptionally well. After a nice landing, we went right into towing mode and I towed Kevin's ASW 27 up 3 times in the row. It really does fly nicely. I gave the controls to Kevin almost right away and let him take her around the patch. Len, thanks so much for letting me fly your Bidule at Horizon this year. I helped me to know how this plane would handle and also got me very motivated to complete it!

I finished her just in time for our aerotow warm up this weekend and our Sled Works event in July (check the upcoming events on this site). Now, I just need to break the engine in with some flights at home and some more towing.

Tim

Cool! Can't wait to get up there and get some flying done behind it. Congrats, Buddy! Your helper looks tired, though and is probably glad the maiden has come and gone!

Comment

I am an infinite Bidule fan!! I have never had to fight the airplane, it is the exact opposite actually, it makes me look infinitely better than I am, An absolute pleasure to fly and it flies great in any condition. I've flown in 25 MPH cross winds and it makes flying in that easy! Love the Bidule 170 and fear the day it no longer becomes available, I guess I better work on a storage area to keep a few extra in stock. Len and Bob Morrow are the guys who braved the waters first, they are the ones to thank for enlightening us to such an awesome air frame! The high angle of attack landing approaches in ground effect are my favorite and make the touchdown with a 50 lbs. airplane seem as light as a butterfly. The airplane simply does not bite hard and always seem to forgive. Enjoy, but be careful they are so addictive!!

Comment

I have felt like an "uncle" on this build...able to help but able to walk away when things got tough, but there when a shoulder was needed...Everything Tim wrote above is true and I am shocked at how quiet everything is. Look forward to this beast towing up my 43% ers...which most tow planes struggle with..

Comment

Kevin's video magic. This is my beloved private airstrip.

Comment

Tim.....looks fantastic!

Congratulations on the maiden.....your going to love this plane.

Comment

Well well well,
              Its about time!!!
              Congratulations Tim and Kevin. The problem is now it's considered and Antique and you shouldn't fly it, its too valuable as a collectors item.

Welcome to the Bidet club.

Len Buffinton
              Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Working...
              X