Ignition BEC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition BEC

Does anyone in the aerotowing community have any experience with IBEC's, whereby an ignition battery is unnecessary and the Rx battery supplies the juice to the ignition and the IBEC also functions as a kill switch?
    Specifically, if you do have experience what make and any special installation advice for installation in the plane as well as choices for switch, rotary knob or lever on the Tx.
    Thanks

Hi Asher,
    I have not used the IBEC, but I do you an electronic kill switch.
    I have it on the upper right rear switch. It needs to be a very quick flip. No slider or knobs.
    We are working in close with people and planes, so if something should go wrong, a very quick flip and its off.
    I don't want to rely on a throttle servo to kill the motor, what if the servo went bad? ( had that happen last week ) So electronic kill is the safest and most reliable, and for $13-17.00 is a no brainer

LEN
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Len,

What happened last week with the throttle?

Steve K
      Steve K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

This is the one that I use, http://www.dlenginesaustralia.com/dl...ll-switch.html works well, I am sure that they are available in the US as they are made by Tech Aero.

Comment

Asher, as you know I deal with a large number of gas planes a year and use the TechAero IBEC almost exclusively in my personal stuff and whenever I can in my review stuff.

It just works.

Comment

So Len, you have your kill on a switch. I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with that. The spontaneity makes sense, however.
            Andy, Ozmodeller, how do you have yours activated and what's your rationale?

Comment

Asher,

I originally had mine on a knob. Changed it the first time I "had" to use it.... It got scary very quickly. Mentally, it is easy to place, as it has the same status as a tow release switch. Know where it is, know what it does, respect it and use it if necessary.

Comment

Stew, that's the kind of experience I'm looking for. As I said, I'm not sure about using a switch but the spontaneity makes sense. I'd completely missed the tow release analogy, of almost equal importance. Your's and Len's experience makes for a good argument.
                Last edited by Asher Carmichael; 07-01-2015, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Len is the one who explained it to me, but I was the one fumbling for the knob. Once. It got changed when I got back to the pits that instant. Len is an incredible help in passing on his experience, all of it from real instances. No intention of slighting all the others that have graciously passed on their help also.

Comment

I totally agree with a switch just like the tow release, but its also easily activated by accident as seen by dropped tow lines. If you know your radio I will stick with the left side slider, so the left hand pulls down the Throttle Stick and slider simultaneously, which can be triggered just as quickly but has to have full throw which is hard to do by accident! Just my 2 cents

Jeremy and Ben
                    SCC AAA TT TN

Comment

If you can't be trained to not move switches you're not intending to, then the slider is the next best choice I would think.

But NASA did train monkeys to go to space and not flip switches they were not supposed to.
                      Len Buffinton
                      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

LMAO!

I'm with the switch. I do have it on the top back switch so that away from the radio face is IGN ON, that way I have to make an effort to reach around the switch and pull it towards me to kill. I've never killed the motor by accident with that setup.

Comment

Originally posted by lenb View Post
                          If you can't be trained to not move switches you're not intending to, then the slider is the next best choice I would think.

But NASA did train monkeys to go to space and not flip switches they were not supposed to.

I said by accident! Wait until you drop a tow line, then I will jump all over you

Jeremy and Ben
                          SCC AAA TT NT

Comment

I wish it was only one!!
                            I've dropped many tow line by hitting that release, although I have never hit the kill switch.

Len
                            Len Buffinton
                            Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Hmmm......

Comment

Working...
                              X