Full Scale Towplane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Scale Towplane

Ron, Dion and I went to Lee Bottom Fly-In this summer. What a treat! Got some pics. Who's gonna build this WACO as a model tow plane? You can see the tow release near the tail wheel.

Attached Files

Hey Mike,

My friend and mentor (who used to live in Cumberland before moving to California) Richard Roy "Dick" Miller loved biplanes and used them for aero towing back in the early 1990's. He was a member of the Salinas Area Modelers and was a tow pilot for the guys at Los Banos.

Last edited by JimD; 12-06-2016, 02:59 AM.
    A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Jim, I really love that Stearman! The model looks to be a full scale aircraft... amazing. Are these pics from the late '70s early '80s?

Comment

• JimD
        JimD commented
        Editing a comment
        Pictures were taken in early 1990's. Dick built the Stearman from a !/3-scale Balsa USA kit. Had scale fabric covering and paint.

Michael you know that my favorite power plane of ALL time is the Waco YMF! I have owned many biplanes up to 1/3 scale. They are great airplanes to fly and to watch but, they are a headache to transport, assemble etc. And they are draggie!

Having said all that, when I finish my 1/3 scale Waco, I will put a tow release in it just for you buddy!

Deputy DAWG! Over and Out!

Comment

MY AMR 40% with Moki 400,it's now living in Florida. Flew it for 5 years, 86 flights. Sold it to my friend in Lakeland, Fl.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Mosquito
          Mosquito commented
          Editing a comment
          Absolutely beautiful!

Okay, Dep-iddy! Remember, drag is a good thing for a tow plane after release. You can just pull throttle, put the nose down and let those wires sing! Mogman, that green and cream is truly classic! My favorite color is green! You need to get that airplane back!

Comment

I sold it, reluctantly, because my plan was to downsize as I'm running out of room in my shop.

Well, that didn't work..went from a 12ft. Waco to a 14ft. S/Cub, 12 ft. Anderson Kingfisher, have plans for many more planes I would LIKE to build, I have a 168" rascal kit on it's way, presently building a 156" Wellington bomber. I sold my AMR Bergfalke as I was offered a price I couldn't turn down.

I really would like to get a Black Horse 6m Grunau Baby or Phoenix KA8(and do the wing and incidence mods. I found a KA8 at Zigi rc in Oklahoma but they claim Fed-Ex wants$550,00 to ship it to Wa. State!!! and I have to convert all this to Cdn $.

I've e-mailed Alberto at hobby Club several times about various sailplanes with no response.

I'm going out to shovel snow now.

Cheers,
          Dave.

Comment

Working...
          X