Bidule 170 - What we've learned - Build thread, Len

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horizon has it here

The Losi part number is B5900. Maybe ebay or just a straight google search will turn up other options as well.

Comment

Len, can I ask what headers, did you use on the last build. I know you got them from ZDZ USA, but I cant find anything similar. Did you have them custom made, or are they a standard set ?

Thanks

Paul

Comment

The headers that ZDZ USA supplied at that time were stock JMB headers. I do not know if they still supply stock JMB headers and mufflers, as they have changed owners. The JMB-Brecka website seems to be broken when looking at headers (manifolds), but maybe that is just a browser/firewall issue for me....

Comment

lenb clear out your pm file
          Last edited by horsefeetky; 05-12-2019, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	b1.JPG
Views:	418
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	36457Click image for larger version

Name:	b2.JPG
Views:	404
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	36458Click image for larger version

Name:	b3.JPG
Views:	402
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	36459 making progress. it is larger than my work table

Comment

Cleared.

Thanks for the heads up
              Great Progress!
              Len Buffinton
              Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Looking good Joe!
                Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

I wonder if a sail winch servo would be fast enough? Couple it to a threaded rod mounted in bushings so it would rotate but not translate. The end of the tiller arm would thread onto the threaded rod so that it would move fore and aft as per the rotation of the threaded rod. The nose gear servo would be absolutely bullet proof because all the forces would be on the threaded rod!

Comment

i got my servo saver parts from redcat rc maker of gas powered 4wd buggies and trucks. they were half the cost of the traxxis brand and i got 2 servo savers in one part number then i had to buy the center post and i shimmed it to the servo saver inside tube with o rings top and bottom retained by the mounting plate top and bottom so they cant escape. turns smooth as silk.. i got the tail together tonight and mounted on the fuse.. im running out of work space for this one. should have motor by end of next week and get it mounted up and running soon enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by ARUP View Post
                      I wonder if a sail winch servo would be fast enough? Couple it to a threaded rod mounted in bushings so it would rotate but not translate. The end of the tiller arm would thread onto the threaded rod so that it would move fore and aft as per the rotation of the threaded rod. The nose gear servo would be absolutely bullet proof because all the forces would be on the threaded rod!
                      Mike,

Can you add a sketch or something. I always like to learn what you are doing, but am clueless as to what is being thought of here....

Scot

Comment

• That's a stout looking nose wheel control.

Comment

• Originally posted by ARUP View Post
                          The nose gear servo would be absolutely bullet proof because all the forces would be on the threaded rod!
                          This servo saver system that comes from 1/8 scale offroad racing is absolutely bullet proof if the servo is up to the task and the engineering on the experimental installation is good enough. They go through an incredible amount of torture on the track and I've rarely seen one break. It's usually the hardware attached to the output side that ends up taking all the abuse. Just make sure the tension spring isn't too tight and pick a decent servo, and it should last the life of the plane. I've always used the Hitec 5955 and the newer 7955TG and never had a servo failure. You can't beat the 7955 for value either. The performance is actually better than the numbers listed by the factory because it is HV capable but they never bothered doing more testing after the initial release and subsequent discovery that it was capable of running on a fully charged 2 cell lipo with no overheating.

And nothing against horsefeetky, but I'll modify my "absolutely bullet proof" statement to include name brand only parts. I'm not familiar with the plastics that redcat is using. Losi is probably one of the better designs since the output arm is doubled up.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by edfmaniac; 05-16-2019, 04:25 PM.

Comment

• i must agree the dbl output arm is a plus...

Comment

• Stew2... this is for you! A coupling would attach the threaded rod to the servo's output shaft axially. If the sail winch (or any) servo is fast enough it could be driven from the rudder signal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3877.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	36587

Parallel to the threaded rod is a guide rod so the link to the nose wheel's tiller won't rotate.

Comment

• that would work if the link on the threaded shaft is a hd metal block of some kind and not just an arm that can get bent with the nose wheel force.. that just leaves your threaded rod that can could bend. either rod could bent causing either a change in alignment for steering or worse a bind in the worm drive stalling the system..

i would go with the tried and proven giant servo saver myself..

Comment

• ARUP
                                  ARUP commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  The drawing is free and for illustrative purposes only. It is up to the end user to use proper engineering, materials and construction methods!

Nose wheels don't need to turn much so the threaded rod could be a bolt of suitable length and grade since it only needs to displace the carriage ~1" or so. The carriage is the part that connects the wheel's strut horn/arm to a link. That goes for the rest of the stuff needed...just build it sturdy, see which breaks first then strengthen that. That's how the current Bidule steering mech evolved!!! Heck... the servo as coupled to the threaded rod doesn't need to be mounted (except to the coupling on the output shaft) so long as provision is made to keep it from rotating.
                              Working...
                              X