No announcement yet.

Bidule 170 - What we've learned - Build thread, Len

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When running the fuel line I needed to hold it in place, to do this I made a sleeve from a piece of carbon tube I had laying around. This will allow me to tie wrap the tube without risking restricting the fuel line itself
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4590.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	14667

Using a short piece of fuel tube and a tie wrap you can make a standoff any length you need.

Name:	IMG_4593.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	14668

A few last minute details.
    Tanks are installed

Name:	IMG_4591.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	14670

Exits are made for the spark plugs, use a rubber grommet to protect the wire

Name:	IMG_4592.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	14671
    Cowl fitted and trimmed with 1/4" U-channel trim by FOREMOST

Name:	IMG_4601.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	14672

The front office

Name:	IMG_4600.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	14669

Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Balancing the Bidule ALONE

When a plane gets this size and weight it becomes a challenge to balance alone. My process for doing this is to create a balance rib for each side of the fuse.

Using craft paper, take it to the fuse side over the wing root area.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4603.jpg Views:	1 Size:	13.6 KB ID:	14677

Use a flashlight to find the holes
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4604.jpg Views:	1 Size:	5.2 KB ID:	14676

Cut out the wing attach holes

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4606.jpg Views:	1 Size:	13.5 KB ID:	14675

Make a pair of rib templates for balancing. The tab on top if for attaching the hook or string at the exact balance point needed.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4622.jpg Views:	1 Size:	12.6 KB ID:	14682

Balance point for the Bidule 170 is 190mm from the Wing LE
      Click image for larger version  Name:	fullsizeoutput_3c.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	8.9 KB ID:	14679

Assemble the plane and attach a strong pulley or eye loop to the ceiling joist as a pivot point. Secure your line and use a spreader to avoid damaging the fuse sides with the string. The weight of the plane will make this a challenge if you're not prepared.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4625.jpg Views:	1 Size:	7.9 KB ID:	14678

LIFT

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4626.jpg Views:	1 Size:	14.3 KB ID:	14680

Len Buffinton
      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

The plane is done.

I ended up only adding about 10 oz to the tail and all up weight is 48lbs. If I remember right, the weight of the first Bidule was about 53lbs, with 23oz in the tail. Saving the 5lbs is a big deal when it comes to flying characteristics of this plane.
        I'm looking forward to another great towing season and this Bidule will be on the front line waiting for a challenge...

Thanks to all for your input and suggestions. The modification made to this tug should make it even better, if that's possible?

Name:	IMG_4632.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	14685
        Len Buffinton
        Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Congratulations Len!

I think we all felt the pain of lost when your first Bidule 170 met its end. Good thing is we learn things with each build and can apply those things to the next plane. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

Can you bring those CG ribs with you in March, I may have another Bidule 170 to balance...and I am curious about my first one. Very happy with the way it handles and lands, so would like to match that with the second one.

Less than three months now until the Spring Soar for a Fun season opener!
          A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

• hello82
            hello82 commented
            Editing a comment
            yes many congrats Len...another awesome job!... great to see her done and before New years! Still much winter building time left! and yes already looking so forward to the first season opener.

Matt

Thank You Thank You Thank You...this is so very helpful for those of us following in your foot steps....
          Kevin

Comment

She Fly's

Since it was a nice day, the new year first day fly-in was today and the plane was ready, why not head out to the field?

Set up at the field was simple and fast with the quick wing connections. A couple guys watching are now very interested in the wing attach clips, so off to McMaster Carr they go!!

Here are a few random glamor shots and a maiden video.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4716.JPG Views:	1 Size:	6.4 KB ID:	14813
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4717.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.5 KB ID:	14814
            THIS IS A RUBBER BUMPER I BOUGHT AT ACE HARDWARE, ITS USED TO PLUG THE HOLE I HAVE TO ADJUST THE CARB.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4723.JPG Views:	1 Size:	8.3 KB ID:	14815

Len Buffinton
            Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• Mosquito
              Mosquito commented
              Editing a comment
              Len, I might have missed it but is that a fuel dot on top of your cowl? (pictured)

Tim

I'm signed in but the video won't play...says Private only....would love to see this...can you fix it Len ??
            Kevin

Comment

Try this link for a larger screen

Len Buffinton
              Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Perfect...that worked great...I thought maiden flights were supposed to be gentle and kind ?? your new bird really rips along nicely aerobatics and all........great video to keep Tim and Me going on co building our Bidule 170 ....Hope to join you in the spring as well...

Comment

Thanks Kevin.
                  After lift off, it was two clicks of down trim and off we went.
                  Great flying plane.
                  Len Buffinton
                  Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

sweet!

Matt

Comment

I am trying to imagine being the sailplane pilot on tow behind him! LOL

So...what this video says to me is that a great flying is apparent almost the moment the wheels leave the ground. You just have that confidence that allows you to fly like the 100th flight instead of the first!
                      A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Oh yeah! Very nice!!!!

Comment

Thanks Michael.
                          Len Buffinton
                          Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Hi Len!

Magnificent job improving the Bidule 170 and as promised I add here some pictures of how the Bidule was born as a club tow machine. I put them here so we do not "hi-jack" your Midour thread.

Originally powered by a ZDZ 100 Twin

Regards,

Adrián

Comment

Working...
                            X