Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Towplane or not?

Jim and Len

Would this be a good towplane for the money he is asking?
    Up to what size glider would this tow?

Blake

This model is slightly larger than the mid-size Porter that TopModel offered several years ago. If it performs anything like the TM Porters, it should be a good tow plane. Looking at the wingspan and weight, I am guessing that it could handle a 50-70cc gas engine (or equivalent electric motor) easily and tow up to 5m sailplanes without any problems.
    A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Jim,

Thanks for the input.

Blake

Comment

Blake,

It seems to me that somewhere I remember seeing someone say that they were using this same model for towing. Maybe we can get a firsthand report.

Jim
        A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

I'm not familiar with that Porter, so I'm not much help, its a nice size and as long as the construction is decent it sure seems to be priced ok.

Len
          Len Buffinton
          Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

I had one of these kits with the Tiger scheme and sold it to a friend who currently is building it. Construction is up to being able to tow, just check the glue joints as they seem to assembled using the glue sparingly!

Jeremy and Ben
            SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

Hi Blake,

I am using the Pilatus Porter for more than 4 years as a tow plane.
              At the beginning I used a E-motor Boost 160 on 12s Lipo. Now I have installed a DLE-55RA . The plane is good for gliders up to 12kg an 5m wingspan.
              You can find two videos of my Porter on youtube

Börni

Last edited by Bernhard1270; 08-10-2016, 08:40 PM.

Comment

on this video the Porter tows a 15kg / 6m - KA8 with the Boost 160 on 12s Lipo

Comment

On my homepage you find some pictures of my Porter and the DLE-55RA installation. Although it is written in german, I think the pictures show the details.
                  http://thermikflieger.jimdo.com/unse...s-porter-pc-6/

Börni
                  Last edited by Bernhard1270; 08-10-2016, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X