Aero towing a non-scale poly ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aero towing a non-scale poly ship

Ok guys, my ultimate interest is scale ships and aero or winch launch. However, before I go through the effort of building a large scale aero tow ship I wanted to try it out using one of my spare poly ships that I have sitting around collecting dust. I have an old Vista, a Sagitta 900, and Chrysalis laying around. Any of those would be easy enough to add a tow release in the nose and set it up for aero tow. However, is the lack of ailerons going to be a big deal, or is there anything I would need to do differently using one of these models?

Dion

Dion,

Welcome aboard!! Please don't try to aerotow anything without ailerons. The probability of success is very low. The majority of corrections while on tow are simply to keep the wings level and let the tow plane pull you around the corner. Many have tried to aerotow polyhedral gliders without ailerons, very few have done it successfully, even fewer have done it successfully consistently... For $100 you can have a Multiplex Easy Glider together and probably with spare radio equipment you already own. With its ailerons, it tows very well and will fly fairly similar to the poly ships you have listed. Don't be afraid to jump into the scale ships, they tow easier than anything super light and floaty. I'm sure others can help more on what models are great first models. Where is home? Hope you can stop by an aerotow somewhere and get a try at it.

Scot

Comment

Thanks Scot. I'm just outside of Louisville, KY and would like to attend some of the scale aerotows in the region. For now, I'm just trying to get ARUP to be my tow pilot so he can stop saying he is the only one in the area!

Actually, I also have a custom built full house Houston Hawk riding on a Genie fuselage. I suppose I could convert that one although it may take a bit more work.

Dion
      Last edited by Dion Dunn; 07-17-2015, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Comment

Dion
          I have an old Diamante rudder-elevator 3meter that I Aerotow using Velcro as a tow release works very good. I also use a Multiplex Cularis with ailerons works very good. Rudder-elevator is harder but doable.
          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jgallacher View Post
            Dion
            I have an old Diamante rudder-elevator 3meter that I Aerotow using Velcro as a tow release works very good. I also use a Multiplex Cularis with ailerons works very good. Rudder-elevator is harder but doable.
            Jim
            Jim,

Can you explain the Velcro aero tow release? How does that work?

Dion

Comment

Dion
              I attached the hard plastic part to the bottom of the fuse. About 3-4" long 1" wide. The soft end goes to the tow line. When towing stay as low on tow as safe, to release pull up. I have had 30% of the tows go to about 3-400 Ft be fore release. Most others ended at about 100-150 Ft. But this is normally high enough. I didn't think this would work but was pleased with the results so far.
              Jim

Comment

Thanks Jim

Comment

Working...
                X