So If They Can Do 5, Can We Do 10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So If They Can Do 5, Can We Do 10?

Seems like a great event for Cumberland to me!!

They did it with the regular Radian, I think we should do it with the XL!
    So hands up who has one

Jeremy and Ben
    SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

How do you think they made the interim wing panels? They have the puzzle piece shaped interlocks on both ends. And maybe some additional strengthening with the finishing process?? Stephane, we are going to need the CNC router or the hot-wire bow for a weekend.....

Comment

I wish my German was better. Can anybody translate what was said at the end? I think he was describing the setup.

Grandpa (and I) crashed his XL this past Sunday. I had gotten it pretty high in a boomer thermal and he was trying to get it back down to a more suitable altitude for his eyes. Somehow he lost track of it and handed me the transmitter when it was about 100' up in a nose dive. When I tried to pull out, the wing snapped. Turns out he had an early production run and there's since been a bulletin about a weak spar structure and how to strengthen it. Neither of us were aware of it unfortunately.
        [B]"I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"[/B] -- [B][I]Geoff Painter[/I][/B]

Comment

The gentleman explained that they use thrust vectoring, meaning if a left turn was made they would run the right motor to help the left rudder input!
          If you ever get in a dive with the XL just deploy the spoilers and only use a little up elevator to level out, we whent through that last year in Cumberland on the multi-houre flight

Jeremy and Ben
          SCCAAA TT TN
          Last edited by Swiss1; 08-20-2017, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss1 View Post
            If you ever get in a dive with the XL just deploy the spoilers and only use a little up elevator to level out, we whent through that last year in Cumberland on the multi-houre flight

Jeremy and Ben
            SCCAAA TT TN
            I barely had time to react. I wasn't really watching what he was doing when he handed me the radio saying he'd lost it. I was lucky to even see it as he handed me the radio. When I saw it nose down, I instinctually pulled up elevator. I thought at first I had saved it, but couldn't tell if I was upright or inverted. About the time I decided it was upright, I saw one wing fluttering vertically before it went in. It was a good half-mile or more away when we recovered it.

[B]"I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"[/B] -- [B][I]Geoff Painter[/I][/B]

Comment

Working...
            X