Taborca flying wing from Let Model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taborca flying wing from Let Model

Admit it. You've looked around Let's website and paused for bit on the Taborca page. Part "what the heck" and part "that would be neat" and part "maybe yes, probably not, naah no way."

Having owned four Let sailplanes through the years -- DG-1000, Ventus 2Cx, ASH-26 and their Reiher -- it was time for something completely different. Yes, it's only 3.3 meters but it's just so darn cool! It's actually not a Let design, the model is the work of Jochen Haas and all of the instructions and materials have his mark. Fuselage and tip molding is classic Let very good quality while the wing is equally nicely done.

Here we have the details. Spec sheet and a great graphic explaining the control surface mixes. And, a shot of how the fully assembled sailplane will look...
    Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Next up the fuselage and tips. The winglets are HUGE while the fuselage is definitely not. The protrusion on the fuselage is not a fin. It's primarily a landing skeg to keep the flaps up off the ground. Fuselage will get both a tow release (as soon as I can figure out how to squeeze one in and a hook for bungee launching off the slope at Cumberland
    Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

The wing requires six servos. There are round holes cut for each, but no mounts or covers provided. I fabricated plywood mounts out of circles cut on the drill press and added simple spruce rails. Servos are all JR 398 HV. I am going to use simple white vinyl circles for covers -- not the toughest job anyone has ever asked of Callie!

Comment

All six servo mounts made up and ready to plug in. Like all Let models, the wing is pre-wired and and fuselage is also pre-wired. Nice!

More to come...

Comment

I think I know someone with a lot of white vinyl circles!
          Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Three words: TA BOR CA! Love this thing. Watching with great interest.

Comment

Taborca is acrobat spelled backwards. We shall see?

One consistent caution is that the wing is designed for optimum thermal performance and slope cruising. It's not for screaming high speed passes -- flutter is all one gets in return.

Servos are all installed. I found a nice set of old aluminum control horns from the Tekoa Shadow in my parts bin. Should do the trick!

Comment

How will this get launched Steve? Aerotow? Bungy? I'm guessing it is destine for Cumberland in the Fall?

Comment

• Steve P
                  Steve P commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Fuselage will get both a tow release (as soon as I can figure out how to squeeze one in) and a hook for bungee launching off the slope at Cumberland.

If I can get some time in the shop, it might make the trip to Vermont. I just finished up a top secret Cumberland project bent on total domination of the slope foamies, so I'm making headway.

I got one that has a big hole up front for a motor! :-) The bad part is the firewall has a 3 holes pattern for motor/gearbox. Not too many has a 3 holes mounting pattern!

Brian

Comment

Watch out for the spring loaded hatch. Mine actually bowing the hatch upward.

Brian

Comment

I'd love to get a second fuselage and have an electric option. Might be an addition this winter if I fall in love with the plane.

Comment

I have one of these that flies very well.
                      Pay close attention to the flight control set-up. It is right on the money!
                      Be careful with the CG as well.
                      I tried the motor version and it stalled and crunched the fuse pretty bad.
                      Be careful on frontal approaches as it "will" disappear on you. There just isn't much frontal area to see.

All the best,

Bill

Comment

Did ancient civilizations have advanced technologies like stealth tailless fighter aircraft propelled by some invisible gravitational force field? Ancient astronaut theorists say, "Yes!"

Comment

Hey, BillyMac, is the first photo a trick photo or you use it to illustrate the disappearing act of the Taborca? Nice form of LP launching the plane! Anyone has the info on a good power system, motor, battery, prop? This thing was invented before the brushless era!

Brian

Comment

Taborca update from the weekend. All ready to give it a go at the Black Dirt Aerotow this coming weekend.

I added a tow release driven by a JR DS3711 HV servo, powered all 7 HV servos with a 3600 2S LiPo receiver pack, and put an 8-channel JR DMSS receiver in charge. The receiver sits in the back of the "fuselage" the battery and tow servo toward the center, and 18 ounces of lead shot occupies the nose. It is balanced on the mark, 10mm behind the trailing edge at the fuselage. Crazy.

Folks have had a bit of a nightmare programming these through the years. Fortunately, today's radio tech made is a breeze for me. I set up as a sailplane in the four aileron two flap template of my JR 28X. Moved all the various channels to positions 1-7 in the radio and had it all working per the detailed surface deflection instructions in under a half hour.

We are going to try a tow using a dolly so that the wing can sit perfectly flat on rollout. With no fuselage and tail group trailing behind, I'm far less worried about the dolly bouncing up and causing damage. There's nothing to damage.

Here are some photos FWIW...

Comment

Working...
                            X