Canopy lock tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canopy lock tips

My intend opening this thread is to concatenate the know how of different way to hold a canopy to the fuselage when you have this in a kit. So do not hesitate to chip in with you best way to hold canopy frame to the fuse or best glue to use...

Stéphane
    Stéphane
    Horizon Hobby Team Member

Here is the last lock mechanism that I took inspiration from the graupner Discus 2b canopy lock....

idea is to lock the front canopy with back canopy open, then locking back canopy with another system.

I use a piano wire 0.55 or 1.4mm that goes in 2 cable anchors / cable coupler, like these that comes with pull pull system for rudders

Sans titre by steffruelle, sur Flickr

I used spare cable coupler that were with the E-Flite Blanik, and need more....
    Do anyone know where to procure these, or anyone has some spares that he would be willing to sell?

Stéphane
    Stéphane

Comment

Would this work?

They're from MP Jet, available through Esprit or RC Flight Comps

Comment

• French1
        French1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Should work, thanks Asher

• Swiss1
        Swiss1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Those are the same as the Graupner ones, they have Brass and Aluminium! Or used to, I still have some, they come with a screw on plate (Nut) to be used as moving surface horn.
        Jeremy

These are probably too small.....

Comment

• French1
        French1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Should work too Pete.

Now what about the good glue....

I was using before the Canopy glue Formula 560, great transparency once cure. But couple drawback using this, is is quite fluid so it has a tendency to run down, and not ideal to fill gaps.

I am since last summer using Zap Goo, Swiss1 advised me to use this one, that is good for gaps, cure quite faster than Formula 560 that take 2 or 3 days.

If you have other glues to recommend, don't hesitate

Stéphane
      Stéphane

Comment

Both those glues are just what you want, but there is also two sided tape. When I got the replacement canopy for my Valenta 1/3 scale L213A, it came with a roll of some fantastic two sided tape to attach the canopy to the frame. It worked great and was quick and easy to do. The tape is Tesa 4965. I'm not saying use it instead of glue.....just letting you know there is an option to glue
        Last edited by Xroadie; 05-01-2016, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Those are the two adhesives I use also Stephane. Lately its been the Zap Goo more than the RC56.
          Len Buffinton
          Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Stephane,

I use E6000 that you can purchase at Walmart in the craft section. Dries clear and is good to go in approx: 24 hours. This glue stays flexible and if you have to remove the canopy you can without tearing up the canopy.

Comment

• French1
              French1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Kris for the tips

Now another way to lock the canopy, for the rear seat on this twin seater.

Two pins on the front locked in with some CA in th canopy frame

And a piano wire on the back locking th frame in position. The piano wire come from underneath the TE of the fairing in a styro tube

Not scale, but simple and reliable

Stéphane
            Stéphane

Comment

Working...
            X