Foam Safe CA......NOT Foam Safe :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foam Safe CA......NOT Foam Safe :(

I bought a little bottle of Bob Smith Industries "Foam Safe" Super-Gold, to use on a repair of a TD ship.The repair was not really structural, I hit the leading edge of an outer panel when I started to step over it. The model is an Aspire ST. The best way to fix it, was to cut out a small section of the slightly crumpled leading edge skin, both top and bottom, leaving the leading edge in place, then reinforce where the leading edge had actually cracked with a small piece of wooden dowel. Then the plan was to carve some very lite-weight white styrofoam and insert it in between the leading edge and into the cavity inside the hollow "D-tube", then glass over the repair, sand and paint. I was going to use some epoxy to secure the piece of foam that I had very carefully shaped and inserted into the wing, but remembered I had bought the "Super Gold" for that purpose. Before I did so I re-read the label which said "Works on White Foam." I applied a little of the "Foam Safe" CA on the foam to tac it in place only to watch it all melt away and leave me with a terrible mess. I have since remedied the situation, but just wanted to warn people to test out supposed "Foam Safe" CA on a scrap of the foam they intend to use, before they glue it

I must say that I have used other Bob Smith Industries products for many, many years and have always had great results.

Comment

Just not THAT foam.
      Len Buffinton
      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

I also find it is dependent on how much you apply!

Jeremy and Ben
        SCC AAA TT

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss1 View Post
          I also find it is dependent on how much you apply!

Jeremy and Ben
          SCC AAA TT
          That may be Jeremy....as the foam I was using is the same white styrofoam I used to hot wire cut wings from!

Comment

Sometimes if the CA kicks fast the heat generated will melt the foam.

Comment

Originally posted by ingrahal View Post
              Sometimes if the CA kicks fast the heat generated will melt the foam.
              I am thinking that's what happened too

Comment

Working...
              X