Canopy tint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canopy tint?

What's the best way to tint a canopy? I was thinking pretty dark since I'm not finishing out the cockpit area. I've used spray can candy colors on rc car bodies but am not sure what type of plastic the big scale glider canopies are made from, Baudis Antares in this case. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Victor

Hi Victor,

Not sure it's the best way as I haven't done this in a little while.

In the late 70's I used Rite Dye which is for dying clothing. I soaked a canopy in it and it took the dye nicely. Afraid to say I don't remember the exact details but I think I soaked it in hot water with the dye in it untill it hit the color I wanted. Not boiling just good and hot.

I still have that plane and the canopy looks the same as when I dyed it. It's a delta flying wing that used a TD .049 with a pen bladder for a fuel tank. I've thought about reworking it and constructing a bladder tank from silicone tubing to bring it back to life again. lol

You can get Rite Dye in the supermarket.

As always, I would cut some test strips from the canopy flashing if there is any and try a couple of rounds of tests before committing a full canopy to the dye. But it worked for me and has lasted since Luke was just a farmhand, not a Jedi.

Joe

Comment

• BryanB
      BryanB commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. A long time ago I used Rit dye to tint a canopy but that one didn't have a frame and I was able to submerge the entire thing in a hot bath with the dye. Worked like a champ. I don't know if the Antares canopy has a wood frame but that wouldn't be good in hot water.

• edfmaniac
      edfmaniac commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks but I don't want to dye the whole frame.

Here's an option.... https://www.amainhobbies.com/tamiya-...FcO1wAodGjADPw

Comment

• edfmaniac
      edfmaniac commented
      Editing a comment
      I was hoping for confirmation on the plastic type so I can get the correct paint.

Most modern day canopies are PETG. Not as accepting of dyes as the old butyrate plastics. The lexan paint should work OK.

Comment

• edfmaniac
      edfmaniac commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I'll give it a go with some Tamiya rc body paint or similar.

I used Tamiya (PS) Polycarb Blue Tint Spray on my B4! Word of advise, warm up can in hot water and shake longer than you think you should. Spray light mist to the inside from about 50cm, it dries in 5 minutes, so you can place it in Situ to see the effect, do not apply to much as it will give you a darker result when in place! I then clear coated the inside to give it a smoother finish.
    We carry all the Tamiya paints here at The Model Box!

Jeremy
    SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

• JimD
      JimD commented
      Editing a comment
      50 cm is approximately 20 inches

• edfmaniac
      edfmaniac commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, a bit too far from my experience with rattle can painting. I've probably done 50 bodies over the years, and 20-25cm works well with a rapid sweeping action. Any further away and I feel like I'm trying to paint the air in the room.

My advice is to advise you to use the Tamiya spray paints as recommended above. If the canopy is made from polycarbonate, which the better model sailplanes use, then the polycarbonate won't accept the tints/dyes.

Comment

Working...
    X