Moore Crystal Clear discontinued???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moore Crystal Clear discontinued???

My local drafting supply store told me Moore no longer makes the stuff and it's scarce online, with many places charging crazy high prices. I'm going to try this stuff called Holotap Ultra Transparent. It has the same "would not turn yellow over time" selling point. Hopefully it's as nice as the Moore's was, otherwise I'm going to have to buy a lifetime supply before it all disappears.

What is it?
    TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

Yeah, what is it?
      Len Buffinton
      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Ok, its a tape.
        Len Buffinton
        Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

I’m a fan of this product for tape hinges. Durable, exceptionally thin. From the UK...

Click image for larger versionName:	Views:	1Size:	124.3 KBID:	34374
          Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

I'm sorry. I thought it was more commonly known in the sailplane circles as a great tape for covering servo bays and other useful applications. It's stays flexible and clear over a very long period of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve P View Post
              I’m a fan of this for tape hinges. From the UK...

Looks like that tape may have been disontinued too. I really love Blenderm by 3M but it's not really clear and doesn't look as good on servo hatches. It's really strong and flexible for taping wing joints though.

Comment

Originally posted by edfmaniac View Post
                I'm sorry. I thought it was more commonly known in the sailplane circles as a great tape for covering servo bays and other useful applications. It's stays flexible and clear over a very long period of time.
                Well.....this is a forum dedicated to scale sailplanes......most of which don’t use clear tape to cover servo’s......now for field repairs of a fabric covered airframe it might be useful.
                TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

• ARUP
                  ARUP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Clear tape on fabric... not on your life! lol

Originally posted by Tom View Post

Well.....this is a forum dedicated to scale sailplanes......most of which don’t use clear tape to cover servo’s......now for field repairs of a fabric covered airframe it might be useful.
                So what do you use to attach the servo bay covers? I've never seen anyone glue them on. And gap seal tape? Blenderm works great for the latter but it isn't quite clear if you are looking for tape that almost disappears after applied. I guess you could use white, but most tape manufacturers don't care what color white your plane is?
                Attached Files

Comment

So what do you use to attach the servo bay covers? I've never seen anyone glue them on. And gap seal tape? Blenderm works great for the latter but it isn't quite clear if you are looking for tape that almost disappears after applied. I guess you could use white, but most tape manufacturers don't care what color white your plane is?
                  This site is dedicated to helping our fellow flyers.

Many of us are sailplane hobbists first, scale second. BTW, you can still find the clear at some of the UK suppliers but it takes a hunt. Scotch book binding tape in clear is another good option.

For servo covers on scale ships, sign vinyl in the color of the wing bottom or stripe pattern is a a good option because a piece can be cut exactly to the size and contour of the servo cover plus some overlap making a seamless single piece application. Callie will sell one or two square foot pieces of raw vinyl and send with with her graphic orders — a great way to stock up on a range of colors. Or, good old white. U.S. Cutter is another good source for small pieces such as Oracal 651 or Evergreen by the running foot.. Sign vinyl always comes in handy to make stripes and such on wing bottoms as well for added visibility.

Good luck with your search.
                  Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve P View Post

This site is for dedicated to helping our fellow flyers. Many of us are sailplane hobbists first, scale second. BTW, you can still find the clear at some of the UK suppliers but it takes a hunt. Scotch book binding tape in clear is another good option.

For servo covers on scale ships, sign vinyl in the color of the wing bottom or stripe pattern is a a good option because a piece can be cut exactly to the size and contour of the servo cover plus some overlap making a seamless single piece application. Callie will sell one or two square foot pieces of raw vinyl and send with with her graphic orders — a great way to stock up on a range of colors. Or, good old white. U.S. Cutter is another good source for small pieces such as Oracal 651 or Evergreen by the running foot.. Sign vinyl always comes in handy to make stripes and such on wing bottoms as well for added visibility.

Good luck with your search.
                    Cool. I've got a couple of local sources for all things related to sign vinyl/car wrap vinyl, custom stickers etc. Thanks

Comment

Servo covers are attached will a small amount on silicone or goop........never use gap seal tape since these are scale sailplanes and not TD compition airframes and extracting every once of performance out of them isn’t really something I’m concerned with.....and as far as taping panels together good old 3M white electrical tape works just fine.....sold at HomeDepot/Lowe’s.....
                      TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

Uline Crystal Clear tape works well for servo covers, hinge tape, canopy repair, etc. Super thin and flexible. Comes in 1/2", 3/4", and 1" widths. I buy it by the case so if you have a problem getting it let me know.
                        Regards Dean

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Gradwell View Post
                          Uline Crystal Clear tape works well for servo covers, hinge tape, canopy repair, etc. Super thin and flexible. Comes in 1/2", 3/4", and 1" widths. I buy it by the case so if you have a problem getting it let me know.
                          Regards Dean
                          Thanks Dean.

Comment

Originally posted by ARUP View Post
                            Clear tape on fabric... not on your life! lol
                            If it means getting back in the air to fly some more then yes by all means! To repair damaged fabric you need to cut it back to the nearest wood edge.......which means cutting out any “tape” repair........I would rather fly with a tape patch then not fly since the patch will be cut out anyway once you’re back in the shop and do a “proper” repair!
                            TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

• ARUP
                              ARUP commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I understand. That's why I put the 'lol' on there! Honestly though if my Eaglet or some other got a hole in it then it goes back in its box until a proper repair is effected. I can patch hole from the inside with my 'special tools' and that doesn't require cutting more fabric in many cases! I can fly sump'n else in the meantime!
                          Working...
                          X