Wing Joint Tape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wing Joint Tape

Many sailplane wings use tape to hold wing joints together. We recently completed two of Peter Goldsmith's designs that use this technique; the Sapphire and the Skylark.

Electrical tape works well for this b cause it comes in multiple colors, goes on easy, and comes off easy. Problem is, after several times on and off, it starts to pull the UltraCote loose.

A way to limit this is to apply a clear tape over the covering, then the electrical tape applies over the clear tape instead of directly to the covering. We just found a great product for this and it is readily available.

​​​Scotch Super-Hold Tape

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2779.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	31641

A Site for Soar Eyes

Jim I wondered if about this because it has been pulling of the UltraCote. I thought that using clear packing tape place on the join and then the tape over it would be better and you just confirmed this that. Even better with the tape you recommend! Thanks a bunch!

Comment

• JimD
      JimD commented
      Editing a comment
      👍 I was looking for something else and happened to see this tape, nice little coincidence!

As an alternative to using electrical tape, there is another 3M product that I have used and liked. It comes in various widths too.

3M Blenderm Surgical Tape

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

That looks just like hockey tape which I use on my radio controlled submarines. It really is totally waterproof. I wonder if they are the same?

Comment

• JimD
        JimD commented
        Editing a comment
        I have used it as hinge tape on some discus launch gliders. Holds on really tight, but still comes off easy.

The best tape I have found to pre-tape the wing joints is Moore Crystal Clear:

It is lightweight, very thin, doesn't yellow and is easy to remove when needed. I buy it at a local drafting supply vendor that sells to the public. Blenderm IMHO is very poor even as a hinge tape. I have used the Moore as hinges in the past by first putting a few Z hinges on the surface and then double hinging the surface. Some are decades old and still in like installed condition.

Another from experience note. The 3M electrical tape will work OK, but they make a line of plastic colored repair tape that is better. The electrical tape can get very rubbery when in the heat or sun for any length of time. The colored plastic repair tape is much more firm and also has a higher tack in the adhesive. The electrical tape is cheaper though

Just my $.02
      Mark

Comment

• JimD
        JimD commented
        Editing a comment
        Mark, your points are well taken...keep in mind that I am in a colder climate and tape/adhesive responds a bit different for us. This goes for other model components as well, we don't have the blistering Texas sun to deal with. On the other hand, we get colder conditions and their related issues.

• Mark9
        Mark9 commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly why I mentioned it Jim. However, Crystal Clear is an excellent base to pretape with. Since you are not removing regularly it sticks well to the substrate it is applied to and leaves very little adhesive when you need to remove it. Our TD ships have very light.paint coats, only enough to impart the color. Regular tapes will remove flecks of paint almost every time. We also fly contests when the temperatures can start and stay in the 40's and I have never had the Crystal Clear pull up as a pre tape layer. YMMV, though. In the winter in your area for the wing joiner tape I would agree the electrical tape may be a better choice. But, Steve is in a place that has no seasons, just wet or dry.

• JimD
        JimD commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll check out the Crystal Clear product...been a long time since I needed to think about doing this. Thanks for sharing your information and experience!

OOH, a TD buddy of mine turned me on to this for an excellent clear wing tape, very cheap too if you're willing to cut it down:

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...uct-tape/43221

Cut it down to where you make two rolls of tape and you better pre tape your wings as the tack is very high. I have a fixture I made to cut it and he said he chucked it in his drill press somehow. I have not seen his set up. It is good stuff and the nice thing is you don't need to color coordinate. It will conform, but not by much around compound curves too. The roll I have on the shelf has the black and red label shown on the page.

Just did a quick search and I think these may work to cut the roll down in a drill press, the core is 3" ID.

https://www.woodworkingshop.com/prod...iABEgKWJvD_BwE

https://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/cl48483/

If you only use it to cut down the tape at least one would then have another tool to add to the collection if ever needed. The second one will fit in your run of the day hand drill as well. BINGO, time to place an order!
      Last edited by Mark9; 11-25-2018, 07:19 PM.
      Mark

Comment

Thanks Mark!

Comment

Working...
        X