Portable Workshop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable Workshop

I just saw a video that was pretty interesting. A company called Power8 has a portable workshop that looks like it could be a great system for bringing along for work and repairs to events and is very portable and reasonable in size:

Bob

Nice! I wish I had a trailer large enough to place something like that. You just never know when some of these functions might come in handy.

Comment

I heard from some very reliable sources in the past few days the quality of the equipment may not be very good..........durability and accuracy may not be up to expectations.

The concept is good though. It would be interesting to see if some of the other major portable tools companies produce something similar to this at some point in the near future.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Asher Carmichael View Post
        Nice! I wish I had a trailer large enough to place something like that. You just never know when some of these functions might come in handy.

Asher, I have plenty of room in my trailer, you can store it there and have use of it at any time

Jeremy and Ben
        SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

If you watch the video, you see the drill press upright flexing a lot. Not sure how good this would be
          Len Buffinton
          Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Just my 2 cents.........most people who would consider something like this are already knee deep into this hobby so if they break something that would need this much repair they would just put the damaged plane back in the trailer and bring out another to fly and do the repair proper back at the workshop......that and flying time is limited so when the tugs are running you should be flying and not "repairing" 8-)
            TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

Good point Tom, reminds me of one of the guys in our local club back 20 years ago...he spent several hours doing a field repair (all the while with his radio gear turned on) and when he finished, he took off just in time for his batteries to hit total discharge in flight and crashed! Oh well 😁
              A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Here here. Workshops are for working. Fields are for flying.
                Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Great!!
                  Steve, where did you get that small trailer from? It's time to downsize. Yippee ...
                  Len Buffinton
                  Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

When the sky beckons but the tow plane has a broken landing gear strut or broken rudder hinges or crack in the fuselage or loose header pipe or split in the covering or a fuel tubing problem or a bad servo or a broken linkage...all of which have happened to me at events over the last few years, it is nice to be able to fix them at the field and get back into service.

If the problem is too large, in terms of time to fix, then it is time to pull out the second tow plane and wait to get back to the shop for the repair.

Personally, I have tried to get the right mix of field repair items packed into my truck so that any reasonable fixes can be accomplished at the field. Still, you always wish that you had that one extra tool that is home in the shop!

On top of that, the tow planes need to be bigger and now getting that extra plane in the truck is a problem, not to mention that there is no room for the 1/4-scale 2-33 or the new ASW20!

...so how big should that trailer be????
                    A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Originally posted by lenb View Post
                      Great!!
                      Steve, where did you get that small trailer from? It's time to downsize. Yippee ...
                      Great! I can hook you up. Imagine all the fuel you'll save from less towed frontal area -- and the smaller than the Queen Mary truck you can buy!

That is, unless you really need a table saw and drill press at the field? Last time I checked, the parts and tool drawers chock full of good stuff in your rig only took up about 10% of your trailer?
                      Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Working...
                      X