How can I fix this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I fix this

I purchased a Horizon 4.7 ASW 20 last fall and after a few flights and "gentle" landings, I noticed some "cracking" of I assume gell coat, on underside. I have covered with clear tape to prevent more cracking. I am looking for suggestions as to a "fix".

Comment

My idea is to use Body Putty from an Automotive store, then gray or white primer.... followed by Paint

Comment

Dave, since it is “damaged goods,” I’ll take it off your hands, saving you all that hard work to repair it. 😂 That will free you up to spend more time flying. 😊👍
        Al

Comment

LOL, no way Jose

Comment

Wick in thin CA without using kicker. Let sit about 10 minutes then use a product called Icing from the auto body store. It sets up fast like in 20 minutes and sands really easy.
            Gunny
            Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

You’re going to need to repair the underlying problem before you just “fill” the chips......strip out what ever is in the belly of the cockpit and lay in a layer or two of at least 2.4oz glass......let dry and then patch outside......rebalance and fly!
              TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

Seriously, if the glass has “buckled.” I woild first reinforce the inside of the stressed area with one, preferably two layers of 6 ounce cloth, since the stiffness in that area has been compromised. If any loose gelcoat is present on the outside, gently pick it away with a dental pick, or re-attach it to the substrate with thin CA. Sand the affected area to give the Bondo or thickened epoxy you use for the surface patch a good “tooth” to adhere to. I prefer thickened epoxy, because Bondo, although easier to sand and faster cure, provives virtually no strength to the structure. Continue sanding and filling as needed until the surface is “fair” with the surrounding surface. I use Rustoleum Appliance White in a rattle can to repair most white fuselages. It is a very close match to most. After the paint dries, I sand with finer and finer grit paper, starting with 600 grit followed by 1000, 1500, 3000 and 5000 grit, followed by polishing compound rubbed with the tip of my index finger You can tell by the sound as each grit does its job. The sound goes from noisy at first to quieter. A coat of carnauba wax completes the repair. That’s my $0.02 worth.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys, I'll check the strength of the underlying structure (which did not seem compromised) tomorrow, when I get over to workshop

Comment

Hi Dave,
                    Its an issue with the lack of good primer from the manufacturer in China, which is a shame since the plane looks so good. The structure should not be compromised, but the paint doesn't want to stick well and is brittle so every flex makes it come off or crack in strategic places.
                    Scot did a complete strip down of one he had, some places were tough as nails, others........well not so much.

Touch it up and fly the heck out of it.

Len
                    Len Buffinton
                    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

The easy fix is tape it with white tape and fly it like you stole it. And after an other year or more after some more wear and tear fix it properly.

Comment

Thanks again for suggestions.... I'm pretty sure I'll fill, sand and paint..... might be an ongoing process if paint is brittle. As far as flying style.... somewhere between my grandma and Kevin (sinkhappens) we know what happened to his..... (just kidding kevin)

Comment

Working...
                        X