Wing Joiner Rod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wing Joiner Rod?

My Chris Williams designed T21 uses 14mm rectangular stock in corresponding rectangular brass sleeves for the wing joiner in his plans. I can't seem to find rectangular brass in that size (K&B is all smaller, but the round brass is available). My Skybench Oly II and Skybird both use(d) a round hardened steel rod with corresponding brass tube sleeves. Is there a good known source for the hardened steel bar that can be ordered to length?
    [B]"I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"[/B] -- [B][I]Geoff Painter[/I][/B]

Can you fit CF wing joiners and tubes in lieu of the rectangular ones? I'm sure you've e-m Chris W. about the plan's version???

Comment

I guess I could use CF, I just don't know the characteristics of it as well to know if this is the right application. The joiner rod doesn't really carry as much of the load in this glider as it does in the Woodies I've built, as the T21 uses functional wing struts. I did make contact with Chris and he agreed that the round tube/bar would work just fine.
      [B]"I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"[/B] -- [B][I]Geoff Painter[/I][/B]

Comment

I've drafted this exact fix for Marc at scalesailplanekits.com on CW's 1:3.5 scale T21 plans. Correct, Chris realizes we don't have access to the 14mm bar stock (by Graupner and or Aero-Naut I think also supplies in Europe) over here and he gave us the ok to modify. This uses a solid wing rod and brass tubing. I've used the same retrofit kit upgrade for my CW Bergfalke Mü13 kit.

- 1/2" x 19.5" long - solid 7075 aluminum rod stock available from onlinemetals.com
        - 17/32" x 12" K&S brass tubing

Contact Marc Beaupré at http://www.scalesailplanekits.com/contact.html he should be able to help you out.

Cheers, Thompson

Comment

• Tango Juliet
          Tango Juliet commented
          Editing a comment
          Fantastic Thompson! Thank you. Marc cut my kit for me, but it doesn't have the modification. I'll contact him to see what he can do to provide the modified pieces.

Sounds good. I'll also send him a friendly reminder on this update and resend the files over so he can cut them out and send to you.

Onlinemetals.com will cut to order the length you need, really nice stock.

Cheers, Thompson

Comment

• Tango Juliet
          Tango Juliet commented
          Editing a comment
          I already placed an order for the wing rod from Onlinemetals.com, and sent Marc an email. Thanks again.

I can send some of the joiner over to you if you wish! I sent some to California recently, total coast was about £30. Meanwhile here is me with my 1/3 scale T21 from the Jilles Smits plan.

Comment

• Tango Juliet
          Tango Juliet commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, but I've already placed an order for some here in the US. I appreciate your offer though.

I think I've watched a YouTube video of yours flying. Very nice.

TJ,
        The ribs modified for 1/2 tube are cut and will ship in the morning.

Comment

• Tango Juliet
          Tango Juliet commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome! Thank you!
      Working...
      X